Problem with installing New OS On old hardware

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Raymond, Dec 29, 2003.

  1. Raymond

    Raymond Guest

    I got a pentium II motherboard (super p6sba) and CPU (350Mhert) designed for
    server usage that I got from this lady a couple of weeks ago. She got a
    server 2000 os installed in her machine and I boot into administrator and
    password screen successfully after I bought it. However, I can't use that
    server 2000 os without administrator sn and pw. So, I attemped to install
    win xp into the machine, boot from cd. After the setting in the cmos to
    boot from the cd, the beast just kept restarting to the ram count screen. I
    posted this question a few days ago and forgot to tell the audience that
    this machine was successfully boot into the onboard os (window 2000 server).
    A couple of very helpful folks said either my mainboard is bad or memory is
    bad. So, what could it be? I have already tried several different ram and
    concluded that it is not the ram. I have attempt to boot from the
    floppy(with several different floppies) to update the bios, but the beast
    kept restart to ram count screen again and again, and I could not do bios
    update without boot into floppy. My question is that if it is successfully
    booted into the onboard server 2000, it should not have any hardware problem
    at all. Is window xp is too much for a pen II hardware to handle(I doubt
    it). Also, the pen II mainboard i got has 2 isa slot and 3 pci slot. A
    bite old i think, hardly see isa slot in any mb now.

    Thank You.
    Raymond, Dec 29, 2003