problem with IE

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Tones, Aug 7, 2004.

  1. Tones

    Tones Guest

    hi all

    after i uninstalled and re-installed my norton internet security, my IE
    doesn't open up any more. when i clicked the IE icon, the start menu bar at
    the bottom of the screen and all the desktop icons disappear for 1~2 secs
    and re-appear, but IE doesn't open.
    i tried uninstalling and re-installing norton several times, but the results
    were the same.
    i also "re-installed" windows XP. by "re-install", i mean only by selecting
    "upgrade" when installing from the XP CD, which means i did not wipe out the
    old windows first.

    has anyone come across something like this?
    is there some kind of setting in norton which stopped me from opening IE?
    could i have deleted something by accident?

    Best regards
    Tones

    Tones, Aug 7, 2004

  2. Tones

    Lloyd Jones Guest

    I've reinstalled NIS before and haven't had that problem. What Anti spyware
    progs do you run?

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Aug 7, 2004

  3. Tones

    Tones Guest

    thanks LJ
    i run spybot, spyware blaster and CWShredder, but they all found nothing
    suspicious.
    yeah, i've also re-installed NIS several times successfully before, but i
    don't know wot happened this time. something went really wrong.

    do you know how i can uninstall and re-install IE alone only? i seem not be
    able to find it in the "add/remove application" from the control panel.

    Best regards
    Tones

    "Lloyd Jones" <@yahoo.com> ¼¶¼g©ó¶l¥ó·s»D
    :cf2h55$ic6$...

    Tones, Aug 7, 2004
  4. Tones

    Thor Guest

    When you reinstall XP you want to choose a "repair" install.

    Thor, Aug 8, 2004
  5. Tones

    jack1550 Guest

    Run sfc /scannow and have your xp cd ready this will re install all system files

    jack1550, Aug 12, 2004