    Is anyone else in my position?
    Are there any cheap workarounds?
    Nathan Gutman
    Nathan Gutman, Mar 7, 2004

  2. "Nathan Gutman" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I got the FinePix S7000. When I tried install the software that came
    > with the camera it refused and demanded Windows 98.
    > I am still very happily running my computer on Windows 95 version
    > 4.00.950 B. This version supports USB ports of which I have two.
    > I am very disappointed by this because many companies provide drivers
    > for Win95 as long as USB is supported. Fuji could have done that
    > easily too.
    > Is anyone else in my position?
    > Are there any cheap workarounds?
    > Nathan Gutman

    Buy a card reader?
    David J Taylor, Mar 7, 2004

  3. Nathan Gutman

    pjp Guest

    The basic problem is probably the guys writing the software decided that for
    most pc's, a safe determination of having USB capabilities would be at least
    98.

    It's basically this - test for 98 or later in code is trivial OR test for
    functioning USB for any OS is very non-trivial.

    I've got 20 years experience coding and can write the first test without
    even thinking about it (straight API call and test bits in result) where-as
    I have no idea where to even start looking at how I'd determine if there was
    a) USB installed and B) is it working properly. I imagine it'd take
    enumerating through the registry looking for a specific "class" of hardware
    devices etc. but who knows as nothing at that level in Windows is ever
    straight forward :)

    I suspect the folks are Fuji are in the same boat although I would think
    they'd have greater insight given they've actually written a USB driver.

    pjp, Mar 7, 2004
  4. So what do I do now? Is there a siple way to upgrade just to Win98?
    And card reader also need a Win98 driver.

    Nathan Gutman, Mar 7, 2004