Problem with Frame-Relay

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by dec26wei, Jan 15, 2004.

  1. dec26wei

    dec26wei Guest

    Hi,
    There are two sites with routers A and B connected by a frame-relay pvc
    link, two routers can ping each other's WAN link address. The wan link
    network, a.b.c.0/24 is being advertised from Router A.
    Router A see the route a.b.c.232/30 as connected.
    Router B has a static route to the PVC link, ip route a.b.c.0 255.255.255.0
    a.b.c.233

    the connection looks like below:
    workstation -> internet -> router A .233 <- frame-relay PVC -> .234 router B
    (-> internet)

    Between router A and B, they can ping each other's WAN link.
    The workstaion can traceroute to a.b.c.234.
    The workstation can ping a.b.c.233, but can't ping a.b.c.234

    What am I missing? why I can't ping .234 on the router B from the wkstation?
    How can I troubleshoot this?

    Thanks,

    Hsun
    dec26wei, Jan 15, 2004

  2. dec26wei

    Pasquale Guest

    Assuming I understand your description of the problem, I think your problem
    is that Router B doesn't know about the ethernet network off of Router A
    where the workstation resides. Try doing an extended ping from Router A to
    the .234 address of Router B and use Routers A's ethernet's interface IP
    address as the source address. You'll probably have the same result. Look
    at the routing table on router B.

    Pasquale, Jan 15, 2004

  3. dec26wei

    Aaron Guest

    If you can traceroute to .234 from workstation, there is connectivity.
    Have you check your ACL on both router? Make sure they are not denying
    ICMP PING (ecoh and echo-reply).

    2c

    Aaron, Jan 15, 2004
  4. "dec26wei" <> wrote in message
    > The wan link
    > network, a.b.c.0/24 is being advertised from Router A.
    > Router A see the route a.b.c.232/30 as connected.
    > Router B has a static route to the PVC link, ip route a.b.c.0

    255.255.255.0
    > a.b.c.233
    >
    > the connection looks like below:
    > workstation -> internet -> router A .233 <- frame-relay PVC -> .234 router

    > (-> internet)
    >
    > Between router A and B, they can ping each other's WAN link.
    > The workstaion can traceroute to a.b.c.234.
    > The workstation can ping a.b.c.233, but can't ping a.b.c.234

    Sounds like a.b.c.243 does nmot have a route to the subnet of the
    workstation. Are you running a routing protocol? Also looks like you are
    doing Variable length subnet masks. Have you set "ip classless"? "ip
    subnet-zero"? (If you use a 0 subnet). Also, is the network contiguous?
    Do all devices belong to a.b.c.x? You may want to list the real
    addresses.....
    Phillip Remaker, Jan 15, 2004
  5. dec26wei

    dec26wei Guest

    Thank you all.

    They were all in the same class C. No other protocol is running, just
    static routes. I finally found the router B (customer site and I don't have
    access to it) was given a smaller range from that class C for the static
    route to the pvc and the workstation was not in that range (Uhh..., wasn't
    from me). The links didn't have any ACLs. I put a inbound and outbound ACL
    to the links, then debugging ip icmp and found the packets never came back.

    Thanks again!

    Hsun

    dec26wei, Jan 16, 2004