    What am I doing wrong?

    Thanks!

    Ross

    ross m. greenberg, Jan 9, 2008

  2. ross m. greenberg wrote:
    > Viewing this website (http://www.bovinaupchurch.org) will
    > demonstrate the problem handily: when viewed in Internet
    > Explorer, it appears correctly. When viewed with
    > Firefox, font sizes are not correct, margins are not
    > correct, and the repeats on the CSS do not appear to be
    > working properly.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Ross

    the site looks the same in FF/SeaMonkey as it does in IE.
    Try adjusting the font to None for Minimum Font Size, and
    make sure that "allow pages to choose their own fonts. . . "
    is checked.

    Otherwise, we need more information than it's not correct.
    What do you mean by that?

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jan 9, 2008

  3. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > ross m. greenberg wrote:
    >> Viewing this website (http://www.bovinaupchurch.org) will
    >> demonstrate the problem handily: when viewed in Internet
    >> Explorer, it appears correctly. When viewed with
    >> Firefox, font sizes are not correct, margins are not
    >> correct, and the repeats on the CSS do not appear to be
    >> working properly.
    >>
    >> What am I doing wrong?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Ross
    >>

    > the site looks the same in FF/SeaMonkey as it does in IE. Try adjusting
    > the font to None for Minimum Font Size, and make sure that "allow pages
    > to choose their own fonts. . . " is checked.
    >
    > Otherwise, we need more information than it's not correct. What do you
    > mean by that?

    On that site I am not getting lines wrapping in the same places as they
    do in IE7. Lines are too long and running slightly off the right side of
    the screen.
    Otherwise looks OK

    Invisible Man, Jan 9, 2008
  4. ross m. greenberg

    sticks Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > ross m. greenberg wrote:
    >> Viewing this website (http://www.bovinaupchurch.org) will
    >> demonstrate the problem handily: when viewed in Internet
    >> Explorer, it appears correctly. When viewed with
    >> Firefox, font sizes are not correct, margins are not
    >> correct, and the repeats on the CSS do not appear to be
    >> working properly.
    >>
    >> What am I doing wrong?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Ross
    >>

    > the site looks the same in FF/SeaMonkey as it does in IE. Try adjusting
    > the font to None for Minimum Font Size, and make sure that "allow pages
    > to choose their own fonts. . . " is checked.
    >
    > Otherwise, we need more information than it's not correct. What do you
    > mean by that?

    The one thing I notice on mine is that when I narrow the window in
    Firefox, it will wrap the lines in the main body text to smaller and
    smaller lines to try and keep it in the window. Explorer doesn't do
    that, but keeps the breaks where the author must have put them. What
    controls that setting in Firefox?

    sticks, Jan 9, 2008
  5. ross m. greenberg

    Ed Mullen Guest

    ross m. greenberg wrote:
    > Viewing this website (http://www.bovinaupchurch.org) will demonstrate the problem handily: when viewed in Internet Explorer, it appears correctly. When viewed with Firefox, font sizes are not correct, margins are not correct, and the repeats on the CSS do not appear to be working properly.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Ross

    You're not doing anything wrong. The site has no DOCTYPE so how any
    browser renders it is pure chance. It's also a hodge-podge of
    javascript and tables for layout with fixed dimensions. There's no way
    it can reliably scale to different viewport sizes. It appears to have
    been built using a Dreamweaver template by a designer who doesn't have a
    clue. Yuck. And, by the way, IE7 has exactly the same problems as
    SeaMonkey and Firefox displaying the page.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jan 9, 2008
  6. On 2008-01-09, ross m. greenberg <> wrote:

    > Viewing this website (http://www.bovinaupchurch.org) will demonstrate
    > the problem handily: when viewed in Internet Explorer, it appears
    > correctly. When viewed with Firefox, font sizes are not correct,
    > margins are not correct, and the repeats on the CSS do not appear to
    > be working properly.
    >
    > What am I doing wrong?

    The W3C validator service identifies several problems, the most
    significant of which is probably the lack of a valid DOCTYPE directive,
    which makes it hard for a browser to decide how to display the page:

    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=h...(detect automatically)&doctype=Inline&group=0

    --

    John ()

    John Thompson, Jan 9, 2008