    normal?

    Thanks!

    Deguza
    Kompu Kid, May 29, 2006

  2. Kompu Kid

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Kompu Kid spewed forth:
    > I am trying to help a friend with her DSL connection.
    >
    > She says her connection which has been great for month is now
    > terrible: Frequent disconnects, crawling speed, etc.
    >
    > She has a Siemens Speedstream 4100 modem.
    >
    > Once in a while the "DSL" LED light on th modem turns red. Is this
    > normal?

    So WHAT have you tried so far? Have you read the MANUAL for the modem?

    --
    I always finish what I sta
    Toolman Tim, May 29, 2006

  3. Kompu Kid

    Kevin Guest

    "Kompu Kid" <> wrote in message
    >I am trying to help a friend with her DSL connection.
    >
    > She says her connection which has been great for month is now terrible:
    > Frequent disconnects, crawling speed, etc.
    >
    > She has a Siemens Speedstream 4100 modem.
    >
    > Once in a while the "DSL" LED light on th modem turns red. Is this
    > normal?
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Deguza

    No. Red is bad. Green is good. Check the system for malware. Inquire
    about firmware upgrades for the modem. Do not install them unless you
    contact the technical support for her DSL service first.
    Kevin, May 29, 2006
  4. Kompu Kid

    Mike Easter Guest

    Kompu Kid wrote:
    > I am trying to help a friend with her DSL connection.

    You can look at the http interface, but you can't run the advanced
    diagnostics.

    > She says her connection which has been great for month is now
    > terrible: Frequent disconnects, crawling speed, etc.

    She's paying someone for her DSL connectivity -- it would seem they
    would be responsible for troubleshooting whether it is the modem or the
    dsl service.

    > She has a Siemens Speedstream 4100 modem.

    Siemens doesn't seem to want to make an online manual available, only a
    scanty .pdf brochure.

    Aha. I found it
    http://subscriber.communications.siemens.com/documents/4x00UG_English.pdf

    But I haven't read it. I'm gonna have a beer instead.

    > Once in a while the "DSL" LED light on th modem turns red. Is this
    > normal?

    I think that might be its authentication process.

    You can reset or power off/on to reset.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 29, 2006
  5. Kompu Kid

    Dan Evans Guest

    "Kompu Kid" <> wrote in message
    >I am trying to help a friend with her DSL connection.
    >
    > She says her connection which has been great for month is now terrible:
    > Frequent disconnects, crawling speed, etc.
    >
    > She has a Siemens Speedstream 4100 modem.
    >
    > Once in a while the "DSL" LED light on th modem turns red. Is this
    > normal?

    What was the last red light you saw that meant "normal"?

    Dan

    Dan Evans, May 29, 2006
  6. Kompu Kid

    Mike Easter Guest

    Kompu Kid wrote:

    > Once in a while the "DSL" LED light on th modem turns red. Is this
    > normal?

    According to the manual, the 4100 is ethernet only, the 4200
    usb/ethernet. There are 4 LEDs on the 4100, pwr, dsl, & enet. The 4200
    also has a usb led.

    Only one of those can turn red - the pwr when the POST fails or during
    POST after powerup or reboot.

    If you are seeing the pwr light turn red under some other circumstances,
    then there must be a PS powersupply problem, like a loose connxn,
    causing it to POST because it lost its power and got it back.

    Now where did that beer go?

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 29, 2006
  7. Kompu Kid

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Kevin wrote:
    > "Kompu Kid" <> wrote in message
    >> I am trying to help a friend with her DSL connection.
    >>
    >> She says her connection which has been great for month is now terrible:
    >> Frequent disconnects, crawling speed, etc.
    >>
    >> She has a Siemens Speedstream 4100 modem.
    >>
    >> Once in a while the "DSL" LED light on th modem turns red. Is this
    >> normal?
    >>
    >> Thanks!
    >>
    >> Deguza

    > No. Red is bad. Green is good. Check the system for malware. Inquire
    > about firmware upgrades for the modem. Do not install them unless you
    > contact the technical support for her DSL service first.

    Do you want to explain how malware on the computer can affect the DSL
    light on the modem?

    For the OP's information, if the DSL light is flashing red, it means an
    ADSL sync signal is not detected.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, May 29, 2006
  8. Kompu Kid

    Rob K Guest

    Rob K, May 30, 2006
  9. Kompu Kid

    Kompu Kid Guest

    Hello All:

    Thanks for your responses.

    I downloaded the manual Mike found. It is interesting that a table on
    the manual says "n/a" for the DSL led going red! There are no other
    refernces for this state of the led.

    I searched through the arcives of several news groups and a few years
    back one person had written that it was because of a bad filter.

    I will change the filter ans see what happens with her connection.

    Deguza
    Kompu Kid, May 30, 2006
  10. Kompu Kid

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    Kompu Kid wrote:
    > Hello All:
    >
    > Thanks for your responses.
    >
    > I downloaded the manual Mike found. It is interesting that a table on
    > the manual says "n/a" for the DSL led going red! There are no other
    > refernces for this state of the led.
    >
    > I searched through the arcives of several news groups and a few years
    > back one person had written that it was because of a bad filter.
    >
    > I will change the filter ans see what happens with her connection.
    >
    > Deguza

    If you have a look at
    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/amfaq/2.4 Efficient 4100 modem it
    says "3 The DSL light indicates the status of ADSL sync. When the modem
    is synchronized with the ADSL line card at the other end of the
    circuit/loop. The DSL light will be steady green. It may take up to 70
    seconds for the modem to synchronize. When the DSL light is flashing red
    the modem cannot detect a ADSL sync signal, if its flashing green the
    modem is trying to synchronize."

    I would suspect a line fault, either between the wall socket and the
    modem, or between the household and exchange, or even in the DSLAM in
    the exchange.

    --
    Cheers
    Oldus Fartus
    Oldus Fartus, May 30, 2006
  11. Kompu Kid

    Mike Easter Guest

    Oldus Fartus wrote:
    > Kompu Kid wrote:
    >> Hello All:

    >> I downloaded the manual Mike found. It is interesting that a table on
    >> the manual says "n/a" for the DSL led going red! There are no other
    >> refernces for this state of the led.

    > If you have a look at
    > http://www.dslreports.com/faq/amfaq/2.4 Efficient 4100 modem it
    > says "3 The DSL light indicates the status of ADSL sync. When the
    > modem is synchronized with the ADSL line card at the other end of the
    > circuit/loop. The DSL light will be steady green. It may take up to 70
    > seconds for the modem to synchronize. When the DSL light is flashing
    > red the modem cannot detect a ADSL sync signal, if its flashing green
    > the modem is trying to synchronize."

    That link, and specifically the table there described as "The table
    below is a key for the lights on the front panel of the SpeedStream
    5100b and 4100 DSL modem after the initial power up." and the DSL LED
    section even more specifically makes sense and fits with what Kompu is
    saying/seeing -- whereas the manual at the Siemens site does not fit at
    all with Kompu's observation.

    The DSLreports link also mentions a firmware upgrade 53 [actually
    005-D240-A5F-SBC53-4100.upg] which can be found at Siemens
    http://subscriber.communications.siemens.com/subscriber_networks/upg-4100.shtml
    -- That .upg is dated 2005 Dec

    The firmware upgrade doesn't mention a change in LED conditions,
    however, and the zipped file only contains the .upg firmware fix, no
    documents.

    So, I would conclude the manual at the siemens site is in error

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, May 30, 2006
  12. Kompu Kid

    N. Miller Guest

    On Tue, 30 May 2006 06:19:51 -0700, Mike Easter wrote:

    > So, I would conclude the manual at the siemens site is in error

    I believe that the manual at the Siemens site is for a retail version of
    the SS4100. Nobody has established whether the OP is referring to a full
    retail version, or one of the ISP specific versions of the SS4100. The
    ISP specific versions differ in some of the details from the full retail
    version.

    --
    Norman
    ~Oh Lord, why have you come
    N. Miller, Jun 1, 2006
  13. Kompu Kid

    NormanM Guest

    On 29 May 2006 14:29:25 -0700, Kompu Kid wrote:

    > I am trying to help a friend with her DSL connection.
    >
    > She says her connection which has been great for month is now terrible:
    > Frequent disconnects, crawling speed, etc.
    >
    > She has a Siemens Speedstream 4100 modem.
    >
    > Once in a while the "DSL" LED light on th modem turns red. Is this
    > normal?

    The SS4100 comes in several versions. A full retail version sold by
    Siemens direct to retailers, and at least two ISP specific versions. I
    am reasonably certain that the ".53" firmware upgrade mentioned
    elsewhere in this thread is for the SBC specific version only; please
    don't try to upgrade any other SS4100 with that firmware if you don't
    want an ugly black brick.

    When the DSL LED turns red, the modem has lost synch with the service.
    The problem can be anywhere between the modem and the DSLAM; but it is
    not caused by malware.

    If the premises has a NID with a test jack, try running the modem
    connected directly at the NID. That will help determine if the problem
    is on the premises, or in the network. Also, check for problems with the
    voice circuit; static, or crosstalk. Voice line problems can have an
    adverse impact on the DSL service. If it appears that there are problems
    with the voice circuit, get the telephone repair service to fix the
    problem. I am an at&t Yahoo! HSI customer, and I have seen three times,
    in the last two years, where static on the line, or an open on one side
    of the loop (no dial tone), degraded the DSL service.

    NormanM, Jun 1, 2006