Problem with defrag

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Ken [NY), Oct 21, 2004.

  1. Ken [NY)

    Ken [NY) Guest

    I use Windows Me and the main (c) drive needs defragmenting.
    When I try the Windows defragmenter, I get an error message that I
    need to use scandisk. If I use scandisk, an error message says
    something is writing to the disk and it can't defrag. Even after
    shutting down all applications and the modem except for scandisk, I
    keep getting the error message, possibly because of the fragmented
    files.
    I tried a separate application, Diskeeper, which is supposed
    to be a better defragmenter, but the computer locks up when I use it
    on that drive.
    What I really would like to do is go to Seattle and slap the
    crap out of Bill Gates, but I should just try to fix the problem.
    Any suggestions?

    Good morning. Or as Jean-François Kerry would say, Bonjour.

    Ken (NY)

    The main accomplishment of almost all
    organized protests is to annoy people
    who are not in them.
    --unknown

    "Almost no one disagrees with these basic facts: that
    Saddam Hussein is a tyrant and a menace; that he has
    weapons of mass destruction and that he is doing everything
    in his power to get nuclear weapons; that he has supported
    terrorists..."
    --John Edwards October 10, 2002

    email:
    http://www.geocities.com/bluesguy68/email.htm

    spammers can send mail to

    Ken [NY), Oct 21, 2004

  2. Ken [NY)

    mark mandel Guest

    "Ken [NY)" <> wrote in message

    > I use Windows Me and the main (c) drive needs defragmenting.
    > When I try the Windows defragmenter, I get an error message that I
    > need to use scandisk. If I use scandisk, an error message says
    > something is writing to the disk and it can't defrag. Even after
    > shutting down all applications and the modem except for scandisk, I
    > keep getting the error message, possibly because of the fragmented
    > files.
    > I tried a separate application, Diskeeper, which is supposed
    > to be a better defragmenter, but the computer locks up when I use it
    > on that drive.
    > What I really would like to do is go to Seattle and slap the
    > crap out of Bill Gates, but I should just try to fix the problem.
    > Any suggestions?

    Do both the Scandisk and defrag in Safe mode.

    And uh.............

    Don't mess with Bill.

    mark mandel, Oct 21, 2004

  3. Ken [NY)

    Wizard Guest

    Boot to safe mode and run scandisk to fix the drive.

    Wizard, Oct 21, 2004
  4. Ken [NY)

    Ken [NY) Guest

    On Thu, 21 Oct 2004 12:28:51 GMT, Wizard <> claims:

    >"Ken [NY)" wrote:
    >>
    >> I use Windows Me and the main (c) drive needs defragmenting.
    >> When I try the Windows defragmenter, I get an error message that I
    >> need to use scandisk. If I use scandisk, an error message says
    >> something is writing to the disk and it can't defrag. Even after
    >> shutting down all applications and the modem except for scandisk, I
    >> keep getting the error message, possibly because of the fragmented
    >> files.
    >> I tried a separate application, Diskeeper, which is supposed
    >> to be a better defragmenter, but the computer locks up when I use it
    >> on that drive.
    >> What I really would like to do is go to Seattle and slap the
    >> crap out of Bill Gates, but I should just try to fix the problem.
    >> Any suggestions?

    >Boot to safe mode and run scandisk to fix the drive.

    I did that this morning. Scandisk still would not work with C
    drive. I did try Diskeeper in safe mode, and it did defrag the drive.
    Is there an alternative application to scandisk on the market?

    Ken [NY), Oct 21, 2004
  5. Ken [NY)

    Fred Guest

    > I did that this morning. Scandisk still would not work with C drive. I
    > did try Diskeeper in safe mode, and it did defrag the drive. Is there
    > an alternative application to scandisk on the market?

    Why did you that this morning?

    > Good morning. Or as Jean-François Kerry would say, Bonjour.

    Wassup?

    > The main accomplishment of almost all organized protests is to annoy
    > people who are not in them. --unknown

    Your mother.

    > Almost no one disagrees with these basic facts: that Saddam Hussein is
    > a tyrant and a menace; that he has weapons of mass destruction and that
    > he is doing everything in his power to get nuclear weapons; that he has
    > supported terrorists... --John Edwards October 10, 2002

    My brother has weapons of mass destruction and that he is doing everything
    in his power to get nuclear weapons, too.

    Fred, Oct 21, 2004