Problem with d/loading to PC running Windows ME

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Conrad, Mar 6, 2006.

  1. Conrad

    Conrad Guest

    Hello

    I am attempting to download pctures from a Lumicron 618z3 camera to a PC
    running
    Windows ME but am having problems accessing the camera.
    The camera is recognised on connection, is visble in Device Manager
    (working
    correctly) but is not accessible via 'My Computer' or the supplied
    Photoimpression software.

    The camera is functioning perfectly and in fact can be attached to a PC
    running XP with no problem.

    I repair/upgrade PCs as a part time business so am familiar with device
    drivers, enabling USB, etc but this one has me baffled.

    I guess it must be due to driver problems but I shouldn't need one for
    Windows ME
    according to the instruction manual. Installing a driver for 98 made no
    difference but was worth a try.
    I have an idea it is not TWAIN compatible so may not be detectable by
    importing functions in, say, Paintshop Pro but should surely be
    recognised in Explorer/My Computer.

    Can anyone offer any suggestions as to the cause of this problem.

    Thanks

    Conrad
    Conrad, Mar 6, 2006

  2. Conrad

    Ed Ruf Guest

    On Mon, 6 Mar 2006 15:16:03 -0000, in rec.photo.digital "Conrad"
    <> wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I am attempting to download pctures from a Lumicron 618z3 camera to a PC
    >running
    > Windows ME but am having problems accessing the camera.

    > Can anyone offer any suggestions as to the cause of this problem.

    Cause, no. Solution, yes. Inexpensive card reader.

    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com
    Ed Ruf, Mar 6, 2006

  3. i suspect that this is a problem specific to windows me or the computer
    hardware itself. window me has problems with some image devices that would
    work ok with windows 98. and many machines that came out about the time of
    windows me have no standard usb ports. you could try installing a usb 2.0
    card into your pc and see if that works (about $12, follow link below) or i
    suggest that you put windows xp on your computer or get a new computer
    altogether. installing xp requires at least 256mb to run acceptably and
    given that your machine came with windows me i suspect it does not have that
    much memory. for some older computers it is very expensive to add memory.
    that along with the fact that you probably want a larger hard disk too, and
    have to purchase a copy of windows xp all suggest that a new computer might
    be a smarter alternative (and a time savings vs reinstalling everything from
    scratch). bestbuy/staples/circuitcity sell a great performing low cost
    compaq computer for under $400. that is if the $12 idea does not pan out
    first...
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815153001

    Christopher Muto, Mar 7, 2006
  4. Conrad

    Tesco News Guest

    Hi there.

    Suggesting that someone spend real money to replace his computer system in
    order to accommodate a £45 camera bought from a Supermarket, is ridiculous.

    A £12 card reader is cheaper.

    Roy G
    Tesco News, Mar 7, 2006
  5. that's an over simplification of what i said... read it again for the many
    points that you missed. also, your suggestion of gettin a usb card reader
    seems reasonable but since he has usb problems with the camera there is
    nothing to suggest that a usb card reader would not suffer the same fate.
    installing a usb 2.0 pci card is the thing to try or to get a new computer
    rather than waste money upgrading the old one. if that is out of the
    question due to financial contraints then the op should just take the memory
    card to a boots store and print directly from one of their kiosks. or just
    return the camera and stick with film ;)

    Christopher Muto, Mar 7, 2006
  6. Conrad

    Tesco News Guest

    "Christopher Muto" <> wrote in message
    > that's an over simplification of what i said... read it again for the many
    > points that you missed. also, your suggestion of gettin a usb card reader
    > seems reasonable but since he has usb problems with the camera there is
    > nothing to suggest that a usb card reader would not suffer the same fate.
    > installing a usb 2.0 pci card is the thing to try or to get a new computer
    > rather than waste money upgrading the old one. if that is out of the
    > question due to financial contraints then the op should just take the
    > memory card to a boots store and print directly from one of their kiosks.
    > or just return the camera and stick with film ;)
    >
    > "Tesco News" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi there.
    >>
    >> Suggesting that someone spend real money to replace his computer system
    >> in order to accommodate a £45 camera bought from a Supermarket, is
    >> ridiculous.
    >>
    >> A £12 card reader is cheaper.
    >>
    >> Roy G

    Hi.

    Yes I do undertand all the good points you made, and they would make sense
    to a photographic or computer savvy person.

    However these cameras are unlikely to be bought by any such person, and if
    you do a Google you will soon see that others have similar problems, and
    rapidly get an idea of the market they are aimed at.

    So it all has to be kept very simple and inexpensive.

    Roy G
    Tesco News, Mar 8, 2006