Problem with Cisco routers/modems

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Jim Neff, Aug 23, 2004.

  1. Jim Neff

    Jim Neff Guest

    I have an interesting problem on a smaller network. I have several
    Windows XP Professional machines attached to a workgroup switch and a
    ADSL connection to the Internet. I had a Zoom ADSL modem that was
    doing NAT and firewall functions. It recently died and I replaced it
    with a Cisco 678 broadband modem. All of the machines except one are
    able to get out to the Internet. On the machine that cannot get out,
    some applications can get out (Skype mainly) but all others cannot. I
    cannot ping beyond the router (for instance to my DNS server). The
    computer receives an address via DHCP just like all other machines on
    the network. I also configured a Cisco 1751 I borrowed to see if the
    router was the cause, and it has the same problem. I finally broke
    down and asked my ISP for a replacement Zoom modem. Upon plugging
    that in, the computer seems to work fine. the only thing I can think
    of is that the NAT on the cisco devices works differently from other
    modems. Does this make any sense to anyone? I would rather use the
    Cisco router in the long run but can't seem to figure out why this one
    computer will not work with it. FYI, the NIC in the non-working
    computer is a 3Com card. Any ideas?

    TIA,
    Jim

    Jim Neff, Aug 23, 2004