Problem with Cisco LocalDirector

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Dean Johnson, Dec 9, 2003.

  1. Dean Johnson

    Dean Johnson Guest

    I've inherited a project that contains a load-balancing portion. Cisco
    Local Director was purchased, but I have not been able to configure it
    correctly.

    Here is the layout.

    We have 2 geographic locations. There is a webserver/application at
    each location. Local Director is supposed to load-balance between the
    2 sites and in the case of a failure at 1 location still be able to
    access the 1 that is up.

    LocalDirector has a real IP (192.168.100.1) and a virtual IP
    (192.168.100.2) set up. The real servers on 192.168.100.3 and
    192.168.200.1. When we bind 192.168.100.3 to the virtual IP everything
    works OK (same subnet), but when we bind 192.168.200.1 (different
    subnet) nothing works. Going to the virtual IP does nothing.

    I am hoping that it is a configuration issue, but it seems strange
    that binding the IP on another subnet/location causes nothing to work.

    Any suggestions? I've scoured the groups, but have found nothing that
    really helps.

    Thanks
    Dean Johnson, Dec 9, 2003

  2. This is going back a while, but "Local" in LocalDirector means you can
    load-balance b/w servers in the same local segment. What you want to do is
    what a Distributed Director did. However, both products are pretty much
    antiquated now.

    HTH,

    Mike

    Mike Gallagher, Dec 10, 2003