Problem with chm files

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Alexandr Zverev, Sep 1, 2005.

  1. I installed Win XP x64. Everything is allright - system is stable during
    more than 2 months, but i noticed that i can't open .chm files. Particular -
    it opens but show me only left frame with Contents correctly, on the right
    frame it always shows
    Action canceled
    Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you requested.
    The page might be temporarily unavailable.

    Please try the following:

    a.. Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

    b.. If you have visited this page previously and you want to view
    what has been stored on your computer, click File, and then click Work
    Offline.

    c.. For information about offline browsing with Internet Explorer,
    click the Help menu, and then click Contents and Index.

    Internet Explorer

    Yesterday I installed on another PC Windows Server 2003 x64 Enterprise - and
    it also has the same problem with chm files. Could you help me?

    Alex
    P.S. Is there anybody who know how to install driver for printer Canon
    LBP-800 on WinXP x64?

    Alexandr Zverev, Sep 1, 2005

  2. Alexandr Zverev wrote:
    > I installed Win XP x64. Everything is allright - system is stable during
    > more than 2 months, but i noticed that i can't open .chm files. Particular -
    > it opens but show me only left frame with Contents correctly, on the right
    > frame it always shows
    > Action canceled
    > Internet Explorer was unable to link to the Web page you requested.
    > The page might be temporarily unavailable.

    > Please try the following:
    >
    > a.. Click the Refresh button, or try again later.
    >
    > b.. If you have visited this page previously and you want to view
    > what has been stored on your computer, click File, and then click Work
    > Offline.
    >
    > c.. For information about offline browsing with Internet Explorer,
    > click the Help menu, and then click Contents and Index.
    >

    > Internet Explorer
    >
    > Yesterday I installed on another PC Windows Server 2003 x64 Enterprise - and
    > it also has the same problem with chm files. Could you help me?
    >
    > Alex
    > P.S. Is there anybody who know how to install driver for printer Canon
    > LBP-800 on WinXP x64?

    I haven't had any problems with them. Take a look at your Internet
    Explorer Security settings. Maybe their set too high.

    As far as your printer goes, I have no advice there. Perhaps it's been
    discussed here before. Try doing a search on this newsgroup.

    Cheers,

    --
    Steve Thompson

    Online 64 .NET | http://www.online64.net/
    Help get the forums going!

    Steve Thompson, Sep 1, 2005

  3. Alexandr Zverev

    Guest

    Alexandr,

    > I installed Win XP x64. Everything is allright - system is stable during
    > more than 2 months, but i noticed that i can't open .chm files. Particular -
    > it opens but show me only left frame with Contents correctly, on the right
    > frame it always shows
    > Action canceled

    If the help files are stored on a network drive then the problem may be
    caused by security update 896358, which Microsoft made available via
    Windows Update a few months ago. This blocks access to remote and
    downloaded .chm files unless you apply the appropriate workarounds. See
    this page for more information:

    http://www.grainge.org/index.htm#authoring/ms05-026/ms05-026_update.htm

    --
    Pete (Microsoft Help MVP)

    , Sep 1, 2005
  4. Hello, Pete.
    Thank you very much! You were right the bug was only with network files, now
    everything is ok.

    Alex

    Alexandr Zverev, Sep 2, 2005