    TIA for helpful hints.

    CU

    Reinhard
    Reinhard Zwirner, Nov 4, 2008

  2. Reinhard Zwirner

    ASAAR Guest

    On Tue, 04 Nov 2008 21:56:17 +0100, Reinhard Zwirner wrote:

    > Let's try another photo, so back to shooting mode: oops, what's this?!
    > There's no picture :-(. Indeed, the display showed nothing but the
    > symbols (auto flash, ISO, stabilizer, etc.). Actually, not a single
    > error message is displayed. Even a reset to default settings as well
    > as changing the batteries didn't help.

    I don't have an A720IS, but am going by other Axxx models. If you
    press the Disp. button, does the display cycle through different
    views, some with symbols, some without, one with grid lines, etc.?

    Does the black background resemble what you'd see if you were able
    to cover the lens? The only way I can get that black/dark effect
    without covering the lens is to have the PowerShot set to Manual
    mode, which varies the brightness of the image in the LCD depending
    on camera settings. The image may appear black if the shutter speed
    is too fast, the aperture too small, the ISO too low, or some poorly
    selected combination of these. In P, Tv, Av and other (non-M)
    modes, the image should be visible no matter what settings have been
    selected. If this isn't what's causing your problem and nobody else
    here has an answer, speak with or email Canon's tech. support.
    ASAAR, Nov 4, 2008

  3. ASAAR schrieb:

    > I don't have an A720IS, but am going by other Axxx models. If you
    > press the Disp. button, does the display cycle through different
    > views, some with symbols, some without, one with grid lines, etc.?

    Exactly!

    > Does the black background resemble what you'd see if you were able
    > to cover the lens? ...

    After just one photo I'm not able to judge a possible resemblance ...

    > ... The only way I can get that black/dark effect
    > without covering the lens is to have the PowerShot set to Manual
    > mode, which varies the brightness of the image in the LCD depending
    > on camera settings. The image may appear black if the shutter speed
    > is too fast, the aperture too small, the ISO too low, or some poorly
    > selected combination of these. In P, Tv, Av and other (non-M)
    > modes, the image should be visible no matter what settings have been
    > selected. If this isn't what's causing your problem and nobody else
    > here has an answer, speak with or email Canon's tech. support.

    There's no picture in all possible modes. So I'm afraid I have to
    contact the tech. support :-(

    Many thanks for your help

    Reinhard
    Reinhard Zwirner, Nov 4, 2008
  4. Reinhard Zwirner

    Dudley Hanks Guest

    "Reinhard Zwirner" <> wrote in message
    > Dear Experts
    >
    > Today, I got a new PS A720is as a successor for my PS A80. Installed
    > the batteries, inserted the memory card, shot a photo, viewed it in
    > playback mode: wonderful.
    >
    > Let's try another photo, so back to shooting mode: oops, what's this?!
    > There's no picture :-(. Indeed, the display showed nothing but the
    > symbols (auto flash, ISO, stabilizer, etc.). Actually, not a single
    > error message is displayed. Even a reset to default settings as well
    > as changing the batteries didn't help.
    >
    > But maybe it's one of you experts who can help ...
    >
    > TIA for helpful hints.
    >
    > CU
    >
    > Reinhard

    If you find out what the problem is, I'd be interested in hearing what the
    cause is. I've got an old A70 that has the same problem.

    Since it was a few years old when the display crapped out, I bought an A720
    rather than repairing it. But, it was such a good camera I haven't had the
    heart to throw it out. I keep hoping someone will post a solution so I can
    use it as a backup.

    Good Luck,
    Dudley
    Dudley Hanks, Nov 4, 2008
  5. Dudley Hanks schrieb:

    > If you find out what the problem is, I'd be interested in hearing what the
    > cause is. I've got an old A70 that has the same problem.
    >
    > Since it was a few years old when the display crapped out, I bought an A720
    > rather than repairing it. But, it was such a good camera I haven't had the
    > heart to throw it out. I keep hoping someone will post a solution so I can
    > use it as a backup.

    Hi Dudley,

    I've found the following text on

    <http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&tabact=SupportDetailTabAct&fcategoryid=221&modelid=8776>

    <Quote>

    Important Notice About Your Canon Product:
    It has recently come to our attention that the vendor-supplied
    CCD image sensors used in this Canon digital camera may cause
    the following malfunction: When the product is used in recording
    or playback mode, the LCD screen and/or electronic viewfinder may
    exhibit either a distorted image or no image at all. While reports
    of this malfunction have been rare in the United States, we have
    determined that it may occur if the product is exposed to hot and
    humid environments.

    Effective immediately, and regardless of warranty status, Canon
    will repair, free of charge, products exhibiting the above-mentioned
    malfunction if the malfunction is caused by the CCD image sensor.
    Canon will also cover the cost of shipping and handling in connection
    with this repair.

    U.S. residents are kindly directed to contact the Canon Customer
    Support Center for further assistance at 1-800-828-4040. Support
    hours are Monday thru Friday - 8:00 AM to 12:00 midnight; and
    Saturday 10:00 AM to 8:00 PM (all times EST). Alternatively, if
    electronic support is preferred, please send your email to

    This information is for residents of the United States of America
    and Puerto Rico only. If you do not reside in the USA or Puerto Rico,
    please contact the Canon Customer Support Center in your region.

    We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience caused by this issue,
    and appreciate your understanding in this matter. Thank you for your
    support and patronage of Canon products.

    Attachments:
    Click here for more information regarding this issue

    </Quote>

    HTH

    Reinhard
    Reinhard Zwirner, Nov 6, 2008
  6. Problem with Canon Powershot A720is: Solved!

    Hi all,

    Just to let you know: my A720 IS was warranty-repaired by
    Canon service. "Therapy": Objective replaced.

    Happy New Year to all of you!

    Reinhard
    Reinhard Zwirner, Dec 29, 2008