    it brand-new, is there a way of fixing this oneself?

    Shnaggletooth
    , Apr 17, 2006

  2. zakezuke Guest

    >My Canon Pixma ip4000 printer: I haven't used it in months, and barely
    >used it all before then, but just 2 weeks after my warranty ran out it
    >has decided to stop working. When power is turned on, the printer head
    >refuses to snap-to the center; it behaves as if it's locked or a pulley
    >(rubber band?) isn't working. The power light flashes alternatively
    >orange and green (which, according to the manual indicates a possible
    >"repair shop" problem.)

    Firstly how many times does it blink. If it's something like 7 times
    than it's a waste tank full error.
    zakezuke, Apr 17, 2006

  3. Guest

    zakezuke wrote:
    > >My Canon Pixma ip4000 printer: I haven't used it in months, and barely
    > >used it all before then, but just 2 weeks after my warranty ran out it
    > >has decided to stop working. When power is turned on, the printer head
    > >refuses to snap-to the center; it behaves as if it's locked or a pulley
    > >(rubber band?) isn't working. The power light flashes alternatively
    > >orange and green (which, according to the manual indicates a possible
    > >"repair shop" problem.)

    > Firstly how many times does it blink. If it's something like 7 times
    > than it's a waste tank full error.

    It blinks orange-green-orange-green, etc.

    Shnaggletooth
    , Apr 17, 2006
  4. zakezuke Guest

    > > Firstly how many times does it blink. If it's something like 7 times
    > > than it's a waste tank full error.

    > It blinks orange-green-orange-green, etc.

    http://knightcrawler.filefront.com/

    Burried in there is the service manual, which does contain the blink
    codes. But if it never stops, that's a "rom error". I've not even
    met the rom or the system board personaly, but even if I have and I
    could say it was socketed, I wouldn't know where to get the rom in file
    form nor does the average person have a ROM burner.. with the exception
    of their motherboard.

    The blink codes are also listed on this site
    http://www.dvdadvdr.com/forums/archive/topic/48370-1.html

    To double check you "could" try going into service mode via the
    following procedure, with the USB cord disconnected in the unlikely
    event there is an issue with the PC's usb.

    ------------------
    I. Make sure the printer is off but is plugged in

    II. Hold down [RESUME] (Triangle pointed down) and hold down [POWER]
    and wait 5 seconds or so.

    Release [RESUME] but Continue to hold [POWER]. Double click [RESUME].
    then Release [POWER].

    Press [RESUME], than [POWER]. This should cause the printer to print a
    simple diagnostic that'll list it's ROM number and list CDR SENSOR=OK
    in red for the last line.
    Press [RESUME] twice then [POWER]] to print off the second diagnostic.
    Press [POWER] by it self to exit service mode and return to being a
    printer.

    This should isolate whether the printer is not printing because it
    doesn't want to, or isn't printing because something is wrong. Odds
    are it's the logic board, or a connection to the logic board if you
    can't get the sucker into service mode at all, or can get into service
    mode and it won't print the diagnostics. If you can, odds are you have
    a diaper full condition.

    If you are curious about worst case scenero, you can ask about
    "QM2-1548" the main logic board. How much it costs to replace, or how
    much it costs to get. But odds are if you do have a failed logic board
    that looking for a used ip4000 with a bum head, and using your head is
    a viable solution. Or, buying another printer, cleaning up your print
    head, and selling it on e-bay. I don't know if this is your problem,
    but given the ip4000 sells for $100 to $150 on closeout sites, and a
    new ip4200 runs about $80... if your printer is toast parting out and
    buying a new is often most cost effective, and does someone a favor.
    zakezuke, Apr 17, 2006
  5. Guest

    I wasn't able to get it into Service mode. Thanks for the advice,
    though. Looks like a brand-new printer -- but I think I'm going to
    avoid Canon.

    Shnaggletooth
    , Apr 18, 2006
  6. measekite Guest

    wrote:

    >zakezuke wrote:
    >

    >>>My Canon Pixma ip4000 printer: I haven't used it in months, and barely
    >>>used it all before then, but just 2 weeks after my warranty ran out it
    >>>has decided to stop working. When power is turned on, the printer head
    >>>refuses to snap-to the center; it behaves as if it's locked or a pulley
    >>>(rubber band?) isn't working. The power light flashes alternatively
    >>>orange and green (which, according to the manual indicates a possible
    >>>"repair shop" problem.)
    >>>

    >>Firstly how many times does it blink. If it's something like 7 times
    >>than it's a waste tank full error.
    >>

    >It blinks orange-green-orange-green, etc.
    >
    >Shnaggletooth

    BEWARE OF THE ADVICE YOU GET ON THIS NG/. THERE ARE MANY HACKERS HERE
    THAT THINK THEY KNOW. IF YOU CALL CANON TECH SUPPT THEY WILL AT LEAST
    TELL YOU WHAT THE PROBLEM IS AND MAY GIVE YOU A CLUE ON HOW TO FIX IT.
    IF IT IS JUST OUT OF WARRANTY SOMETIMES THEY WILL SEND YOU A REFURB
    IFYOU USE CANON OEM INK.
    measekite, Apr 18, 2006
  7. zakezuke Guest

    > I wasn't able to get it into Service mode. Thanks for the advice,
    > though. Looks like a brand-new printer -- but I think I'm going to
    > avoid Canon.

    Canon is actually typicaly pretty good, and the ip4000 is no lame duck.
    You got a bum one that had an issue 2 weeks after the warranty
    expired, but I know countless people who have units running 2 to 3
    years from the origional purchace. And they are worth a pretty penny
    dead. People want heads, parts, and to keep their unit in service.

    Also troubleshooting via usenet is not the most reliable means of
    diagonisis. For all I know you just need to slap the printer to get it
    to resume normal operation. If you are going to chuck it anyway, might
    as well kick it.

    But if you want to consider something other than canon, i'd look at the
    hp 8250. Sub $150, does employ seperate ink tanks and does have a
    seperate head. If it wasn't for CD printing, and ease of refilling,
    i'd probally still be buying HPs..
    zakezuke, Apr 18, 2006
  8. Paul Heslop Guest

    measekite wrote:

    > BEWARE OF THE ADVICE YOU GET ON THIS NG/. THERE ARE MANY HACKERS HERE
    > THAT THINK THEY KNOW. IF YOU CALL CANON TECH SUPPT THEY WILL AT LEAST
    > TELL YOU WHAT THE PROBLEM IS AND MAY GIVE YOU A CLUE ON HOW TO FIX IT.
    > IF IT IS JUST OUT OF WARRANTY SOMETIMES THEY WILL SEND YOU A REFURB
    > IFYOU USE CANON OEM INK.

    Ignore this tosser
    --
    Paul (Take my hand, I'm standing right here)
    Stop and Look
    Paul Heslop, Apr 18, 2006
  9. m Ransley Guest

    m Ransley, Apr 18, 2006
  10. zakezuke Guest

    Paul Heslop wrote:
    > measekite wrote:
    >
    > > if you call canon tech suppt they will at least tell you what the problem is and may give > > you a clue on how to fix it

    > Ignore this tosser

    This is one of the rare cases where Measekite has valuable input.
    Being the K-rad elite hacker d00d as he describes I often forget about
    the fact that sometimes... sometimes... there are issues that are
    covered well beyond the warranty. Who knows.

    As far as telling what's wrong... I linked to the blink codes, support
    wouldn't know anything more on that subject. Assuming endless
    blinking, that's a ROM problem. Not that you should always assume the
    blink codes are accurate, but that sugests the rom is fried, not
    connected. Bad solder connection or a power surge, probally a power
    surge. Loose wire is always possible.

    But he's right, those filthy k-rad hacker d00ds like my self are the
    least likely to consider calling technical support. It's worth a shot,
    the worst they will do is tell you it's not covered.
    zakezuke, Apr 18, 2006
  11. Tony Guest

    wrote:
    >zakezuke wrote:
    >> >My Canon Pixma ip4000 printer: I haven't used it in months, and barely
    >> >used it all before then, but just 2 weeks after my warranty ran out it
    >> >has decided to stop working. When power is turned on, the printer head
    >> >refuses to snap-to the center; it behaves as if it's locked or a pulley
    >> >(rubber band?) isn't working. The power light flashes alternatively
    >> >orange and green (which, according to the manual indicates a possible
    >> >"repair shop" problem.)

    >> Firstly how many times does it blink. If it's something like 7 times
    >> than it's a waste tank full error.

    >It blinks orange-green-orange-green, etc.
    >
    >Shnaggletooth

    Before you throw it away, can you confirm that the alternating blinking light
    never pauses and then starts again? If it does pause briefly, then you need to
    count the number of iterations between pauses. That will provide a more
    accurate diagnosis.
    Tony
    Tony, Apr 18, 2006
  12. Paul Heslop Guest

    zakezuke wrote:

    > Paul Heslop wrote:
    > > measekite wrote:
    > >
    > > > if you call canon tech suppt they will at least tell you what the problem is and may give > > you a clue on how to fix it

    > > Ignore this tosser

    > This is one of the rare cases where Measekite has valuable input.
    > Being the K-rad elite hacker d00d as he describes I often forget about
    > the fact that sometimes... sometimes... there are issues that are
    > covered well beyond the warranty. Who knows.
    >
    > As far as telling what's wrong... I linked to the blink codes, support
    > wouldn't know anything more on that subject. Assuming endless
    > blinking, that's a ROM problem. Not that you should always assume the
    > blink codes are accurate, but that sugests the rom is fried, not
    > connected. Bad solder connection or a power surge, probally a power
    > surge. Loose wire is always possible.
    >
    > But he's right, those filthy k-rad hacker d00ds like my self are the
    > least likely to consider calling technical support. It's worth a shot,
    > the worst they will do is tell you it's not covered.

    :O) I never thought I'd see the day.

    Paul Heslop, Apr 18, 2006
  13. Frank Guest

    Paul Heslop wrote:
    > measekite wrote:
    >

    >>BEWARE OF THE ADVICE YOU GET ON THIS NG/. THERE ARE MANY HACKERS HERE
    >>THAT THINK THEY KNOW. IF YOU CALL CANON TECH SUPPT THEY WILL AT LEAST
    >>TELL YOU WHAT THE PROBLEM IS AND MAY GIVE YOU A CLUE ON HOW TO FIX IT.
    >>IF IT IS JUST OUT OF WARRANTY SOMETIMES THEY WILL SEND YOU A REFURB
    >>IFYOU USE CANON OEM INK.

    > Ignore this tosser

    Yeah advice from that piece of shit moron idiot is worse than useless
    cause it's a total waste of time to even read. I see that stupid asshole
    is still doing his idiot routine of all cap crap!
    Kill file the loser...PLEASE...we're all so over his mindless, useless
    garbage.
    Let the moron talk only to himself.
    Frank
    Frank, Apr 18, 2006
  14. Paul Heslop Guest

    Frank wrote:

    > > Ignore this tosser

    > Yeah advice from that piece of shit moron idiot is worse than useless
    > cause it's a total waste of time to even read. I see that stupid asshole
    > is still doing his idiot routine of all cap crap!
    > Kill file the loser...PLEASE...we're all so over his mindless, useless
    > garbage.
    > Let the moron talk only to himself.
    > Frank

    As was pointed out by someone else he actually makes a good point
    somewhere in his drivel, but as he refuses to even pretend to act like
    anyone else I completely missed it.

    Paul Heslop, Apr 18, 2006
  15. zakezuke Guest

    > :O) I never thought I'd see the day.

    Measkekite offers the following useful advice

    1. Kirkland Costco paper is cheap and pretty good
    2. Call tech support - read the manual
    3. Buying OEM is less trouble
    4. Krylon uv-resistant clear acrylic spray or Aaron Bros spray to
    water proof your prints.

    All of these are true useful things to say, easy to miss in a flood of
    450 messages per month.
    zakezuke, Apr 18, 2006
  16. Paul Heslop Guest

    zakezuke wrote:

    > > :O) I never thought I'd see the day.

    > Measkekite offers the following useful advice
    >
    > 1. Kirkland Costco paper is cheap and pretty good
    > 2. Call tech support - read the manual
    > 3. Buying OEM is less trouble
    > 4. Krylon uv-resistant clear acrylic spray or Aaron Bros spray to
    > water proof your prints.
    >
    > All of these are true useful things to say, easy to miss in a flood of
    > 450 messages per month.

    :O)
    Paul Heslop, Apr 18, 2006
  17. Guest

    It will blink short blinks orange-green-orange-green a total of 12x
    (ie. the orange blinks short blinks 12x). Then there will be a longer
    green blink. Then another 12x alternating, and so on.

    (I should have also mentioned: The printer is no longer hooked up to a
    USB into my computer; I'm trying to get it into service mode and
    diagnose it separated from my system.)

    Shnaggletooth
    , Apr 18, 2006
  18. measekite Guest

    LIKE I SAID. TALK TO CANON TECH SUPPORT.

    measekite, Apr 18, 2006
  19. Guest

    I called them right now. They're going to send me a replacement. I'm
    surprised, because the warranty has expired by a couple of weeks.

    Shnaggletooth
    , Apr 18, 2006
  20. Paul Heslop Guest

    wrote:

    > I called them right now. They're going to send me a replacement. I'm
    > surprised, because the warranty has expired by a couple of weeks.
    >
    > Shnaggletooth

    But, as has been pointed out, some things should last longer than
    guarantee time, such as cookers, televisions and three piece suites.
    Your problem appears to be with the operating system of the printer
    which are not replaceable by you and should last longer than the
    consumable parts.

    Paul Heslop, Apr 18, 2006