    I only get this at the BBC website
    What is wrong and how can I correct it?
    Any help appreciated!

    Tilly, Nov 11, 2007

  2. On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 18:22:08 +1300, Tilly wrote:

    > I have XP Professional . Since yesterday when I access
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/ I receive this error message.'Internet Explorer has
    > encountered a problem and must shut down . (very strange since the problem
    > only started yesterday)
    > I only get this at the BBC website
    > What is wrong and how can I correct it?
    > Any help appreciated!

    Have you tried clearing out your cookies/cache/"offline content"?

    Have you tried restarting M$ Windows?

    It it any particular page? or the entire site irrespective of page?

    Are you trying to view/play a particular file?

    What version of M$IE

    More information is needed if you are to get a coherent answer/guess.

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Nov 11, 2007

  3. Tilly

    Bobs Guest

    Tilly wrote:
    > I have XP Professional . Since yesterday when I access
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/ I receive this error message.'Internet Explorer
    > has encountered a problem and must shut down . (very strange since the
    > problem only started yesterday)
    > I only get this at the BBC website
    > What is wrong and how can I correct it?
    > Any help appreciated!

    Pretty sure it will be a corrupt copy of the website in the cache. Clear
    all temp internet files under the options menu.

    Bobs, Nov 11, 2007
  4. In message <fh63i0$fc1$>, Tilly wrote:

    > I have XP Professional . Since yesterday when I access
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/ I receive this error message.'Internet Explorer
    > has encountered a problem and must shut down .

    Have you tried Firefox?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Nov 11, 2007
  5. In article <fh63i0$fc1$>, says...
    > I have XP Professional . Since yesterday when I access
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/ I receive this error message.'Internet Explorer has
    > encountered a problem and must shut down . (very strange since the problem
    > only started yesterday)
    > I only get this at the BBC website
    > What is wrong and how can I correct it?
    > Any help appreciated!

    No problems with Mozilla Firefox. No apparent changes to the design of the site
    that might be causing problems.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Nov 11, 2007
  6. Tilly

    Muff Diver Guest

    wrote:

    > I have XP Professional . Since yesterday when I access
    >http://news.bbc.co.uk/ I receive this error message.'Internet Explorer has
    >encountered a problem and must shut down . (very strange since the problem
    >only started yesterday)
    >I only get this at the BBC website
    >What is wrong and how can I correct it?
    >Any help appreciated!

    No problem here witheither IE or Firefox.

    Muff Diver, Nov 11, 2007
  7. Tilly

    -Newsman- Guest

    wrote:

    > I have XP Professional . Since yesterday when I access
    >http://news.bbc.co.uk/ I receive this error message.'Internet Explorer has
    >encountered a problem and must shut down . (very strange since the problem
    >only started yesterday)
    >I only get this at the BBC website
    >What is wrong and how can I correct it?
    >Any help appreciated!

    Runs sweetly on Firefox, so why not make the change?

    -Newsman-, Nov 11, 2007
  8. On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 18:51:17 +1300, Bobs wrote:

    > Pretty sure it will be a corrupt copy of the website in the cache. Clear
    > all temp internet files under the options menu.

    The interesting question is... why can't that browser cope with data
    corruption and re-fetch a fresh copy, or at the least why can't it catch
    the exception and throw up an error message rather than taking the cop-out
    approach and crash?

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Nov 11, 2007
  9. Tilly

    shane Guest

    -Newsman- did scribble:

    > Runs sweetly on Firefox, so why not make the change?

    I went down to the local super this arvo to fetch some supplies. As I wander
    round I spot a gentleman (of the cotton top set) with a get (or was it got?)
    firefox T-Shirt on.

    Further the last couple of LUG meetings I have attended also had several of the
    aforementioned set attending, and they clearly knew their stuff!

    And here I was thinking the older generation was inflexible, and unable to cope
    with change.
    --
    Hardware n: Parts of the computer you can kick

    shane, Nov 11, 2007
  10. Tilly

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Tilly" <> wrote in message
    > I have XP Professional . Since yesterday when I access
    > http://news.bbc.co.uk/ I receive this error message.'Internet Explorer
    > has encountered a problem and must shut down . (very strange since the
    > problem only started yesterday)
    > I only get this at the BBC website
    > What is wrong and how can I correct it?
    > Any help appreciated!

    Fine on IE6 with cookies blocked.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Nov 11, 2007
  11. Tilly

    Tilly Guest

    Bobs wrote:
    :: Tilly wrote:
    ::: I have XP Professional . Since yesterday when I access
    ::: http://news.bbc.co.uk/ I receive this error message.'Internet
    ::: Explorer has encountered a problem and must shut down . (very
    ::: strange since the problem only started yesterday)
    ::: I only get this at the BBC website
    ::: What is wrong and how can I correct it?
    ::: Any help appreciated!
    ::
    :: Pretty sure it will be a corrupt copy of the website in the cache.
    :: Clear all temp internet files under the options menu.

    I have tried clearing all temporary files including index.dat and cookies as
    well as clearing the cache and I still get the same message.

    Tilly, Nov 11, 2007
  12. Tilly

    Tilly Guest

    Jonathan Walker wrote:
    :: On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 18:22:08 +1300, Tilly wrote:
    ::
    ::: I have XP Professional . Since yesterday when I access
    ::: http://news.bbc.co.uk/ I receive this error message.'Internet
    ::: Explorer has encountered a problem and must shut down . (very
    ::: strange since the problem only started yesterday)
    ::: I only get this at the BBC website
    ::: What is wrong and how can I correct it?
    ::: Any help appreciated!
    ::
    :: Have you tried clearing out your cookies/cache/"offline content"?
    ::
    :: Have you tried restarting M$ Windows?

    I cleared all of my temp files and cookies, index.dat and cleaned the cache
    yeaterday and today and I still get the same message.

    ::
    :: It it any particular page?

    Yes the main page . All I have to do is go the opening page and I
    immediately get the message.The IE closes down

    or the entire site irrespective of page?

    I can't go to any other page because IE closes down.
    ::
    :: Are you trying to view/play a particular file?

    No
    ::
    :: What version of M$IE

    XP Professional SP2.
    ::
    :: More information is needed if you are to get a coherent answer/guess.
    ::
    ::
    :: --
    :: Jonathan Walker
    ::
    :: "The IT industry landscape is littered with the dead
    :: dreams of people who once trusted Microsoft."

    Tilly, Nov 11, 2007
  13. Tilly

    Tilly Guest

    -Newsman- wrote:
    :: On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 18:22:08 +1300, "Tilly" <>
    :: wrote:
    ::
    ::: I have XP Professional . Since yesterday when I access
    ::: http://news.bbc.co.uk/ I receive this error message.'Internet
    ::: Explorer has encountered a problem and must shut down . (very
    ::: strange since the problem only started yesterday)
    ::: I only get this at the BBC website
    ::: What is wrong and how can I correct it?
    ::: Any help appreciated!
    :::
    :: Runs sweetly on Firefox, so why not make the change?

    I have on one PC not not on this one.

    Tilly, Nov 11, 2007
  14. Tilly

    Tilly Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    :: In article <fh63i0$fc1$>, says...
    ::: I have XP Professional . Since yesterday when I access
    ::: http://news.bbc.co.uk/ I receive this error message.'Internet
    ::: Explorer has encountered a problem and must shut down . (very
    ::: strange since the problem only started yesterday)
    ::: I only get this at the BBC website
    ::: What is wrong and how can I correct it?
    ::: Any help appreciated!
    :::
    :::
    ::
    :: No problems with Mozilla Firefox. No apparent changes to the design
    :: of the site that might be causing problems.
    ::
    :: -P.
    ::
    :: --
    :: =========================================
    :: firstname dot lastname at gmail fullstop com

    They have just started putting aads on their site and I have all ads
    blocked.,so I wonder whether that is causing the problem.

    Tilly, Nov 11, 2007
  15. Tilly

    Geopelia Guest

    I get that message a lot, also one that the system has recovered from a
    serious error. There is a thread stuck in my video driver, apparently.

    Geopelia, Nov 11, 2007
  16. On Sun, 11 Nov 2007 23:19:15 +1300, Tilly wrote:

    > :: What version of M$IE
    >
    > XP Professional SP2.

    Thanks for saying what version of M$ Windows.

    What version of Microsoft Internet Explorer?

    --
    Jonathan Walker

    Jonathan Walker, Nov 11, 2007
  17. Tilly

    Max Burke Guest

    > In news: Tilly Scribbled:
    > Yes the main page . All I have to do is go the opening page and I
    > immediately get the message.The IE closes down
    > I can't go to any other page because IE closes down.

    > XP Professional SP2.

    Works fine here, XP Pro SP2, IE 7.

    When the error message pops up does it have an option/link to 'view
    information' about the error?
    If so, click it, and it may tell you what part of IE (or XP) is failing.

    Alternatively go to:

    Start
    All Programmes
    Administrative Tools
    Event Viewer

    Check the application and System logs.

    If you see the IE error listed double click on it and it will give you the
    details of the failure and an error message/ event ID code that you can
    google for
    causes and fixes.

    For example I have this error for NTBackup in the event viewer application
    log:

    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: NTBackup
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 8019
    Date: 10/11/2007
    Time: 7:02:29 p.m.
    User: N/A
    Computer: CRAY2007
    End Operation: Warnings or errors were encountered.
    Consult the backup report for more details.

    Found Images

    Max Burke, Nov 11, 2007
  18. In article <fh6m46$ni$>, says...

    > They have just started putting aads on their site and I have all ads
    > blocked.,so I wonder whether that is causing the problem.

    I have severe ad blocking in place also, and it does not interfere with my
    reading the site.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Nov 11, 2007
  19. On Nov 11, 6:22 pm, "Tilly" <> wrote:
    > I have XP Professional . Since yesterday when I accesshttp://news.bbc.co.uk/ I receive this error message.'Internet Explorer has
    > encountered a problem and must shut down . (very strange since the problem
    > only started yesterday)
    > I only get this at the BBC website
    > What is wrong and how can I correct it?

    No idea. And I know my shiznit.
    Just use Firefox, instead.

    cannon_fodder, Nov 11, 2007
  20. Tilly

    impossible Guest

    "Tilly" <> wrote in message
    > Peter Huebner wrote:
    > :: In article <fh63i0$fc1$>, says...
    > ::: I have XP Professional . Since yesterday when I access
    > ::: http://news.bbc.co.uk/ I receive this error message.'Internet
    > ::: Explorer has encountered a problem and must shut down . (very
    > ::: strange since the problem only started yesterday)
    > ::: I only get this at the BBC website
    > ::: What is wrong and how can I correct it?
    > ::: Any help appreciated!
    > :::
    > :::
    > ::
    > :: No problems with Mozilla Firefox. No apparent changes to the design
    > :: of the site that might be causing problems.
    > ::
    >
    > They have just started putting aads on their site and I have all ads
    > blocked.,so I wonder whether that is causing the problem.

    The ads might not be a problem, but your ad blocker might. What do you use?
    And is it known to be compatible with the IE version you have? And what
    version is that? IE6? IE7? And do you have the latest patches installed?

    Also, check that you have the latest version of Adobe Flash Player
    (9.0.47.0) installed. There are known problems with some older versions. The
    BBC home page features Adobe ads.

    impossible, Nov 11, 2007