    problem? I hate to shell out another $35 without assurance that it will
    solve the problem.

    Dick
    Richard Cline, Aug 14, 2004

  2. Richard Cline wrote:
    > I have a Canon Powershot S400. The Camera works fine but the charger is
    > a constant headache. When a battery is inserted it does not seem to
    > make contact with the terminals inside the charger unit. By wedging
    > paper shims in the charger I can usually get it to work but it means 10
    > minutes of fussing every time the charger is used.
    >
    > I have two batteries and the problem is present with both batteries.
    > There is no obvious flaw in the charger. The contact pins certainly
    > appear to extend far enough to make contact. Everything seems to be
    > centered well.
    >
    > Is my problem unique/ Does anyone have suggestions for curing the
    > problem? I hate to shell out another $35 without assurance that it will
    > solve the problem.
    >
    > Dick

    Are the batteries the same brand as the charger? Sometimes chargers and
    batteries just don't work together well.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    Joseph Meehan, Aug 14, 2004

  3. Richard Cline

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Richard Cline wrote:

    > I have a Canon Powershot S400. The Camera works fine but the charger is
    > a constant headache. When a battery is inserted it does not seem to
    > make contact with the terminals inside the charger unit. By wedging
    > paper shims in the charger I can usually get it to work but it means 10
    > minutes of fussing every time the charger is used.
    >
    > I have two batteries and the problem is present with both batteries.
    > There is no obvious flaw in the charger. The contact pins certainly
    > appear to extend far enough to make contact. Everything seems to be
    > centered well.
    >
    > Is my problem unique/ Does anyone have suggestions for curing the
    > problem? I hate to shell out another $35 without assurance that it will
    > solve the problem.
    >
    > Dick

    Hi Dick...

    Don't know either your camera or your charger, but
    a good (and free) bet would be to take a fresh
    pencil eraser and gently polish both the pins and
    the mating surfaces on the batteries...

    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, Aug 14, 2004
  4. Ken Weitzel wrote:
    > Richard Cline wrote:
    >
    >> I have a Canon Powershot S400. The Camera works fine but the charger is
    >> a constant headache. When a battery is inserted it does not seem to
    >> make contact with the terminals inside the charger unit. By wedging
    >> paper shims in the charger I can usually get it to work but it means 10
    >> minutes of fussing every time the charger is used.
    >>
    >> I have two batteries and the problem is present with both batteries.
    >> There is no obvious flaw in the charger. The contact pins certainly
    >> appear to extend far enough to make contact. Everything seems to be
    >> centered well.
    >>
    >> Is my problem unique/ Does anyone have suggestions for curing the
    >> problem? I hate to shell out another $35 without assurance that it will
    >> solve the problem.
    >>
    >> Dick

    > Hi Dick...
    >
    > Don't know either your camera or your charger, but
    > a good (and free) bet would be to take a fresh
    > pencil eraser and gently polish both the pins and
    > the mating surfaces on the batteries...
    >
    > Ken

    Good point. That also fits the description and is a common problem.

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math
    Joseph Meehan, Aug 14, 2004
  5. Richard Cline

    Alan Meyer Guest

    "Richard Cline" <> wrote in message

    > I have a Canon Powershot S400. The Camera works fine but the

    charger is
    > a constant headache. When a battery is inserted it does not seem

    > make contact with the terminals inside the charger unit. By

    wedging
    > paper shims in the charger I can usually get it to work but it

    means 10
    > minutes of fussing every time the charger is used.
    >
    > I have two batteries and the problem is present with both

    batteries.
    > There is no obvious flaw in the charger. The contact pins

    certainly
    > appear to extend far enough to make contact. Everything seems to

    be
    > centered well.
    >
    > Is my problem unique/ Does anyone have suggestions for curing the
    > problem? I hate to shell out another $35 without assurance that

    it will
    > solve the problem.
    >
    > Dick

    I don't know the design of this charger and battery
    but is it possible to put a rubber band around it to
    hold the battery against the charger wall? That would
    take 5 seconds instead of 10 minutes with paper shims.

    Alan
    Alan Meyer, Aug 14, 2004
  6. In article <jFcTc.168336$>, "Joseph Meehan"
    <> wrote:

    Everything is Canon. The battery and the charger and the camera. It is
    all less than one year old. I have tried to roughen the contact points
    on the battery. It is impossible to reach the contact points on the
    charger.

    Dick

    Richard Cline, Aug 14, 2004
  7. Richard Cline wrote:
    > In article <jFcTc.168336$>, "Joseph Meehan"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > Everything is Canon. The battery and the charger and the camera. It is
    > all less than one year old. I have tried to roughen the contact points
    > on the battery. It is impossible to reach the contact points on the
    > charger.

    That is the most likely problem. A pencil eraser usually will work
    well.

    Joseph Meehan, Aug 14, 2004
  8. If the contacts are not oxidized, it is possible that there is a cold
    solder connection in the charger. The pressure of the paper is forcing
    the contact to work.

    You should take it in to have it properly checked, unless you are
    skilled at servicing these, and have the training, and tools to
    service them.

    Jerry G.
    ========

    Jerry Greenberg, Aug 14, 2004