Problem with AVG free version 7

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Denise, Dec 4, 2004.

  1. Denise

    Denise Guest

    Hi all,

    I'm running xp sp2, and am having trouble getting the latest version of AVG
    free to run properly. When I install it, it says it's installed
    successfully, but when I go to update the definitions, it tells me to reboot
    and that's when the problem starts. On reboot, as windows is restarting, a
    blue screen (that looks different from the old blue screen of death) pops up
    right after the screen that says windows xp home edition. It flashes by so
    quickly that I can't read it, and then it causes the computer to restart
    again. This time, it will tell me that windows couldn't start and ask me if
    I want to start in safe mode, etc. If I choose to go back to the last good
    settings, AVG is still there and everything, but the resident shield is
    disabled and I can find no way to start it, and it tells me that I need to
    reboot to finish that update I started. If I reboot, it tells me the same
    thing again--that the resident shield is disabled. And if I try to click
    the update button, it tells me that something went wrong with the
    installation and to install it again. I've completely deleted everything to
    do with AVG (short of going into the registry, which I know NOTHING about)
    and reinstalled about 5 times now, and the same thing keeps happening.

    So here are my questions: does anyone know what's going wrong with AVG and
    how I can fix it and get a good install? I've been very pleased with AVG in
    all the time I've been using it (which is a good couple of years now) and
    would like to stay with it, but if I can't get it to work, does anyone know
    of another good free antivirus?

    Sorry I'm so long-winded, this has been bugging me all last night and today
    and still I have no solution. Also, if anymore info is needed about my
    setup, just let me know.

    Thanks in advance,

    Denise
     
    Denise, Dec 4, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Denise

    Newfdog Guest

    Denise wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm running xp sp2, and am having trouble getting the latest version of AVG
    > free to run properly. When I install it, it says it's installed
    > successfully, but when I go to update the definitions, it tells me to reboot
    > and that's when the problem starts. On reboot, as windows is restarting, a
    > blue screen (that looks different from the old blue screen of death) pops up
    > right after the screen that says windows xp home edition. It flashes by so
    > quickly that I can't read it, and then it causes the computer to restart
    > again. This time, it will tell me that windows couldn't start and ask me if
    > I want to start in safe mode, etc. If I choose to go back to the last good
    > settings, AVG is still there and everything, but the resident shield is
    > disabled and I can find no way to start it, and it tells me that I need to
    > reboot to finish that update I started. If I reboot, it tells me the same
    > thing again--that the resident shield is disabled. And if I try to click
    > the update button, it tells me that something went wrong with the
    > installation and to install it again. I've completely deleted everything to
    > do with AVG (short of going into the registry, which I know NOTHING about)
    > and reinstalled about 5 times now, and the same thing keeps happening.
    >
    > So here are my questions: does anyone know what's going wrong with AVG and
    > how I can fix it and get a good install? I've been very pleased with AVG in
    > all the time I've been using it (which is a good couple of years now) and
    > would like to stay with it, but if I can't get it to work, does anyone know
    > of another good free antivirus?
    >
    > Sorry I'm so long-winded, this has been bugging me all last night and today
    > and still I have no solution. Also, if anymore info is needed about my
    > setup, just let me know.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Denise
    >
    >
    >

    Hey Denise.... I had a problem with AVG 7 also. It turned out to be a
    conflict with Zone Alarm. I had a successful install by choosing to
    leave out the email scanner. It has worked fine for a couple of weeks
    now. This might help .

    Newfdog
     
    Newfdog, Dec 4, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Denise

    k35454 Guest

    "Denise" <> wrote in message
    news:SO9sd.95$...
    Hi all,

    I'm running xp sp2, and am having trouble getting the latest version of AVG
    free to run properly. When I install it, it says it's installed
    successfully, but when I go to update the definitions, it tells me to reboot
    and that's when the problem starts. On reboot, as windows is restarting, a
    blue screen (that looks different from the old blue screen of death) pops up
    right after the screen that says windows xp home edition. It flashes by so
    quickly that I can't read it, and then it causes the computer to restart
    again. This time, it will tell me that windows couldn't start and ask me if
    I want to start in safe mode, etc. If I choose to go back to the last good
    settings, AVG is still there and everything, but the resident shield is
    disabled and I can find no way to start it, and it tells me that I need to
    reboot to finish that update I started. If I reboot, it tells me the same
    thing again--that the resident shield is disabled. And if I try to click
    the update button, it tells me that something went wrong with the
    installation and to install it again. I've completely deleted everything to
    do with AVG (short of going into the registry, which I know NOTHING about)
    and reinstalled about 5 times now, and the same thing keeps happening.

    So here are my questions: does anyone know what's going wrong with AVG and
    how I can fix it and get a good install? I've been very pleased with AVG in
    all the time I've been using it (which is a good couple of years now) and
    would like to stay with it, but if I can't get it to work, does anyone know
    of another good free antivirus?

    Sorry I'm so long-winded, this has been bugging me all last night and today
    and still I have no solution. Also, if anymore info is needed about my
    setup, just let me know.

    Thanks in advance,

    Denise

    Try http://www.free-av.com free, daily updates, and it
    works for me (W98SE).
     
    k35454, Dec 4, 2004
    #3
  4. Denise

    Denise Guest

    Newfdog wrote:
    > Hey Denise.... I had a problem with AVG 7 also. It turned out to be a

    conflict with Zone Alarm. I had a successful install by choosing to
    leave out
    the email scanner. It has worked fine for a couple of weeks now. This
    might
    help .

    Hi Newf, thanks for your quick reply.

    Unfortunately, I just tried it, but the same thing happened (that
    stupid blue screen is starting to get on my nerves). I think you're
    exactly right though, in that it's a conflict with Zone Alarm. I
    updated AVG last night and it worked fine enough to do a complete
    system scan. Then I updated Zone Alarm and it all went to hell and
    the problems persist. Blah.

    Depressed that two of her favorite *free* programs seem to dislike
    each other,

    Denise
     
    Denise, Dec 4, 2004
    #4
  5. Denise

    dan Guest

    I am having the exact same blue screen thing on reboot, except that I can
    never go into Windows under any mode. I am not using AVG though. I will have
    to be wiping out the whole hard drive to fix it.


    "Denise" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Newfdog wrote:
    >> Hey Denise.... I had a problem with AVG 7 also. It turned out to be a

    > conflict with Zone Alarm. I had a successful install by choosing to
    > leave out
    > the email scanner. It has worked fine for a couple of weeks now. This
    > might
    > help .
    >
    > Hi Newf, thanks for your quick reply.
    >
    > Unfortunately, I just tried it, but the same thing happened (that
    > stupid blue screen is starting to get on my nerves). I think you're
    > exactly right though, in that it's a conflict with Zone Alarm. I
    > updated AVG last night and it worked fine enough to do a complete
    > system scan. Then I updated Zone Alarm and it all went to hell and
    > the problems persist. Blah.
    >
    > Depressed that two of her favorite *free* programs seem to dislike
    > each other,
    >
    > Denise
     
    dan, Dec 5, 2004
    #5
  6. Denise

    Plato Guest

    dan wrote:
    >


    ditto the new avg dont like getting along with zone alarm. Must be due
    to the fact that AVG just got in bed with Kerio :)

    ps even a registry restore wont fix the damage.
     
    Plato, Dec 5, 2004
    #6
  7. Denise

    Denise Guest

    "k35454" wrote:
    Try http://www.free-av.com free, daily updates, and it works for me (W98SE).

    Thanks, I'll give it a whirl. :)

    Denise
     
    Denise, Dec 5, 2004
    #7
  8. Denise

    ShyDavid Guest

    (Denise) wrote in message news:<>...

    > "k35454" wrote:
    > Try http://www.free-av.com free, daily updates, and it works for me (W98SE).
    >
    > Thanks, I'll give it a whirl. :)
    >
    > Denise


    I installed version 7 Free Edition two days ago under Windows 98se
    Zone Alarm 2.1.44 and it has been working flawlessly. I suspect the
    problem is with Windows XP and/or the newer version of ZoneAlarm---
    Grisoft may not have tested the software enough under XP and/or
    ZoneAlarm. Hell, Grisoft may not have tested it with ZoneAlarm at all.
     
    ShyDavid, Dec 6, 2004
    #8
  9. Denise

    frank ashton Guest

    You have been sp2d try turning of security centre on sp2 . if it works ok
    which it will turn it off in run msconfig , they both work fine on 1 of my
    computers, but sp2 was installed straight after basic instal with office xp
    "Denise" <> wrote in message
    news:SO9sd.95$...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm running xp sp2, and am having trouble getting the latest version of

    AVG
    > free to run properly. When I install it, it says it's installed
    > successfully, but when I go to update the definitions, it tells me to

    reboot
    > and that's when the problem starts. On reboot, as windows is restarting,

    a
    > blue screen (that looks different from the old blue screen of death) pops

    up
    > right after the screen that says windows xp home edition. It flashes by

    so
    > quickly that I can't read it, and then it causes the computer to restart
    > again. This time, it will tell me that windows couldn't start and ask me

    if
    > I want to start in safe mode, etc. If I choose to go back to the last

    good
    > settings, AVG is still there and everything, but the resident shield is
    > disabled and I can find no way to start it, and it tells me that I need to
    > reboot to finish that update I started. If I reboot, it tells me the same
    > thing again--that the resident shield is disabled. And if I try to click
    > the update button, it tells me that something went wrong with the
    > installation and to install it again. I've completely deleted everything

    to
    > do with AVG (short of going into the registry, which I know NOTHING about)
    > and reinstalled about 5 times now, and the same thing keeps happening.
    >
    > So here are my questions: does anyone know what's going wrong with AVG

    and
    > how I can fix it and get a good install? I've been very pleased with AVG

    in
    > all the time I've been using it (which is a good couple of years now) and
    > would like to stay with it, but if I can't get it to work, does anyone

    know
    > of another good free antivirus?
    >
    > Sorry I'm so long-winded, this has been bugging me all last night and

    today
    > and still I have no solution. Also, if anymore info is needed about my
    > setup, just let me know.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Denise
    >
    >
    >
     
    frank ashton, Dec 6, 2004
    #9
  10. Denise

    Jimmy Guest

    frank ashton wrote:
    > You have been sp2d try turning of security centre on sp2 . if it works ok
    > which it will turn it off in run msconfig , they both work fine on 1 of my
    > computers, but sp2 was installed straight after basic instal with office xp
    > "Denise" <> wrote in message
    > news:SO9sd.95$...
    >
    >>Hi all,
    >>
    >>I'm running xp sp2, and am having trouble getting the latest version of

    >
    > AVG
    >
    >>free to run properly. When I install it, it says it's installed
    >>successfully, but when I go to update the definitions, it tells me to

    >
    > reboot
    >
    >>and that's when the problem starts. On reboot, as windows is restarting,

    >
    > a
    >
    >>blue screen (that looks different from the old blue screen of death) pops

    >
    > up
    >
    >>right after the screen that says windows xp home edition. It flashes by

    >
    > so
    >
    >>quickly that I can't read it, and then it causes the computer to restart
    >>again. This time, it will tell me that windows couldn't start and ask me

    >
    > if
    >
    >>I want to start in safe mode, etc. If I choose to go back to the last

    >
    > good
    >
    >>settings, AVG is still there and everything, but the resident shield is
    >>disabled and I can find no way to start it, and it tells me that I need to
    >>reboot to finish that update I started. If I reboot, it tells me the same
    >>thing again--that the resident shield is disabled. And if I try to click
    >>the update button, it tells me that something went wrong with the
    >>installation and to install it again. I've completely deleted everything

    >
    > to
    >
    >>do with AVG (short of going into the registry, which I know NOTHING about)
    >>and reinstalled about 5 times now, and the same thing keeps happening.
    >>
    >>So here are my questions: does anyone know what's going wrong with AVG

    >
    > and
    >
    >>how I can fix it and get a good install? I've been very pleased with AVG

    >
    > in
    >
    >>all the time I've been using it (which is a good couple of years now) and
    >>would like to stay with it, but if I can't get it to work, does anyone

    >
    > know
    >
    >>of another good free antivirus?
    >>
    >>Sorry I'm so long-winded, this has been bugging me all last night and

    >
    > today
    >
    >>and still I have no solution. Also, if anymore info is needed about my
    >>setup, just let me know.
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance,
    >>
    >>Denise


    I'm running ZA and AVG7 on XPP with email scanner running, no problems,
    suggest possible spyware removal process?
     
    Jimmy, Dec 16, 2004
    #10
  11. Denise

    gh08t

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    gh08t, Oct 22, 2006
    #11
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Jim Chapman

    Trojan Horse cannot be put in vault by AVG free version

    Jim Chapman, Aug 7, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    579
    °Mike°
    Aug 7, 2003
  2. ivan clough

    Re: avg free version

    ivan clough, Apr 6, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    487
    ivan clough
    Apr 6, 2004
  3. Ron Martell

    New download procedure for AVG free version.

    Ron Martell, May 21, 2004, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    1,868
    Bucky Breeder
    May 21, 2004
  4. Bart Marks

    AVG Free version 7 Updates?

    Bart Marks, Jan 21, 2005, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    602
    Bart Marks
    Jan 21, 2005
  5. Martin
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    775
Loading...

Share This Page