    Before it is too late
    The battles we fought were long and hard
    Just not to be consumed by rock'n'roll

    G.T., Jun 14, 2004

  2. G.T.

    Jürgen Eidt Guest

    "G.T." <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

    > Basically things are rotating even though they shouldn't be. I'm taking
    > photos of album covers, they're resting on a square white box. I can't
    > figure out what is making them auto rotate, is having problems because
    > it's a square?

    You are pointing the camera downwards?
    The sensor is build to detect if you hold the camera in landscape or
    portrait position. It also detects if the camera is rotated to the left or
    to the right in portrait. But in the case the camera points up or down
    instead of tilted to the left or to the right, the sensor picks up only the
    left/right portion.
    If you move the camera slightly from the horizontal position, the sensor
    detects either landscape or portrait. A few degrees make the difference.

    --
    Regards
    Jürgen

    http://cpicture.de/en

    Jürgen Eidt, Jun 14, 2004

  3. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Jürgen Eidt wrote:

    > "G.T." <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    >

    >>Basically things are rotating even though they shouldn't be. I'm taking
    >>photos of album covers, they're resting on a square white box. I can't
    >>figure out what is making them auto rotate, is having problems because
    >>it's a square?

    > You are pointing the camera downwards?
    > The sensor is build to detect if you hold the camera in landscape or
    > portrait position. It also detects if the camera is rotated to the left or
    > to the right in portrait. But in the case the camera points up or down
    > instead of tilted to the left or to the right, the sensor picks up only the
    > left/right portion.
    > If you move the camera slightly from the horizontal position, the sensor
    > detects either landscape or portrait. A few degrees make the difference.

    Ah, that would definitely be it. It isn't a big deal so I didn't look
    it up. Instead I unfortunately made an unnecessary RTFM-type post.

    Greg

    --
    Destroy your safe and happy lives

    G.T., Jun 14, 2004
  4. "G.T." <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Basically things are rotating even though they shouldn't be. I'm taking
    > photos of album covers, they're resting on a square white box. I can't
    > figure out what is making them auto rotate, is having problems because
    > it's a square?
    >
    > Greg

    Hello Greg. The problem you describe is relatively common with all Nikon
    and Canon DSLR cameras. Return or sell the Canon, and treat yourself
    to the Sigma SD10. This is clearly the best production DSLR on the
    market. The Foveon sensor records full color pixels, instead of
    monochrome like Canon and Nikon cameras. This gives you the most
    accurate colors available, and a much higher effective resolution than
    any other DSLR in production.

    Hope this helps.

    -Orville

    Orville Wright, Jun 14, 2004
  5. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    Orville Wright wrote:
    > "G.T." <> wrote in message news:<>...
    >
    >>Basically things are rotating even though they shouldn't be. I'm taking
    >>photos of album covers, they're resting on a square white box. I can't
    >>figure out what is making them auto rotate, is having problems because
    >>it's a square?
    >>
    >>Greg

    > Hello Greg. The problem you describe is relatively common with all Nikon
    > and Canon DSLR cameras. Return or sell the Canon, and treat yourself
    > to the Sigma SD10.

    Well, I took your advice and threw my Rebel away since I'm sure no sane
    person would want it. Tomorrow I'm buying a Smegma!

    Greg

    G.T., Jun 14, 2004
  6. G.T.

    Ron Hunter Guest

    G.T. wrote:

    > Basically things are rotating even though they shouldn't be. I'm taking
    > photos of album covers, they're resting on a square white box. I can't
    > figure out what is making them auto rotate, is having problems because
    > it's a square?
    >
    > Greg

    No, more likely because you are pointing the camera down. If you are
    doing that, turn off auto rotation.

    Ron Hunter, Jun 14, 2004