    disabling that won't fix the problem.

    Thanks
    RS

    RS, Feb 26, 2008

  2. RS wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Amazon.com has a feature called "search inside" where you can peek
    > inside most (but not all) books, look at the table of contents, see an
    > excerpt, etc. Although I had no problem with this in the past, I no
    > longer can search inside books on amazon site with firefox. The ability
    > too peek inside a book seems to be gone in firefox. For the specific
    > books I have in mind, I can still do that with Safari and IE. The
    > firefox on my machine has been updated to version 2.0.0.12. I don't
    > have a amazon plugin, but I never needed one, and I don't know if it is
    > required to get all the features rendered correctly. I am wondering if
    > anyone else is having similar problems. I am running noscript, but
    > disabling that won't fix the problem.
    >
    > Thanks
    > RS

    can you provide some links so we can test out whats going
    on? And tell us what we're supposed to look for. Thanks

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Feb 26, 2008

  3. RS

    Lukan Guest

    > Amazon.com has a feature called "search inside" where you can peek
    > inside most (but not all) books, look at the table of contents, see an
    > excerpt, etc. Although I had no problem with this in the past, I no
    > longer can search inside books on amazon site with firefox. The ability
    > too peek inside a book seems to be gone in firefox. For the specific
    > books I have in mind, I can still do that with Safari and IE. The
    > firefox on my machine has been updated to version 2.0.0.12. I don't
    > have a amazon plugin, but I never needed one, and I don't know if it is
    > required to get all the features rendered correctly. I am wondering if
    > anyone else is having similar problems. I am running noscript, but
    > disabling that won't fix the problem.

    I'm running FF 2.0.0.12 and Vista and the "Search Inside" feature works
    perfectly. Sorry I can't help you with your problem, but it does
    appear to work with FF.

    Lukan, Feb 26, 2008
  4. RS

    RS Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > RS wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >>
    >> Amazon.com has a feature called "search inside" where you can peek
    >> inside most (but not all) books, look at the table of contents, see an
    >> excerpt, etc. Although I had no problem with this in the past, I no
    >> longer can search inside books on amazon site with firefox. The
    >> ability too peek inside a book seems to be gone in firefox. For the
    >> specific books I have in mind, I can still do that with Safari and IE.
    >> The
    >> firefox on my machine has been updated to version 2.0.0.12. I don't
    >> have a amazon plugin, but I never needed one, and I don't know if it
    >> is required to get all the features rendered correctly. I am wondering
    >> if anyone else is having similar problems. I am running noscript, but
    >> disabling that won't fix the problem.
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> RS

    > can you provide some links so we can test out whats going on? And tell
    > us what we're supposed to look for. Thanks

    Thanks for your respond. As a simple example, I can search with Safari
    (OS X) and with IE (Win XP), inside the following book

    http://www.amazon.com/Parameter-Est...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204032666&sr=8-1

    Basically there is an area next to the book image where where you put
    the mouse and the site shows a text saying you can search inside the
    book. I have firefox on both machines and neither one can do search
    inside the book. That is, firefox no longer sees the area. The thing is
    that I had no problem with firefox a couple of weeks ago before. Also,
    on the OS X machine I have noscript (which I disabled and didn't make a
    difference). On the windows machine I have no plugins. I thought perhaps
    has inadvertently changed something on their site, but if you guys don't
    see the problem, that is even more confusing to me.

    Thanks again,
    RS

    RS, Feb 26, 2008
  5. RS wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> RS wrote:
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> Amazon.com has a feature called "search inside" where you can peek
    >>> inside most (but not all) books, look at the table of contents, see an
    >>> excerpt, etc. Although I had no problem with this in the past, I no
    >>> longer can search inside books on amazon site with firefox. The
    >>> ability too peek inside a book seems to be gone in firefox. For the
    >>> specific books I have in mind, I can still do that with Safari and IE.
    >>> The
    >>> firefox on my machine has been updated to version 2.0.0.12. I don't
    >>> have a amazon plugin, but I never needed one, and I don't know if it
    >>> is required to get all the features rendered correctly. I am wondering
    >>> if anyone else is having similar problems. I am running noscript, but
    >>> disabling that won't fix the problem.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>> RS

    >> can you provide some links so we can test out whats going on? And tell
    >> us what we're supposed to look for. Thanks
    >>

    > Thanks for your respond. As a simple example, I can search with Safari
    > (OS X) and with IE (Win XP), inside the following book
    >
    > http://www.amazon.com/Parameter-Est...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204032666&sr=8-1
    >
    > Basically there is an area next to the book image where where you put
    > the mouse and the site shows a text saying you can search inside the
    > book. I have firefox on both machines and neither one can do search
    > inside the book. That is, firefox no longer sees the area. The thing is
    > that I had no problem with firefox a couple of weeks ago before. Also,
    > on the OS X machine I have noscript (which I disabled and didn't make a
    > difference). On the windows machine I have no plugins. I thought perhaps
    > has inadvertently changed something on their site, but if you guys don't
    > see the problem, that is even more confusing to me.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > RS

    interesting! I've never noticed that before. I can see it
    in Safari, Opera, Netscape 8.1.3, Netscape 9.0.0.5, but not
    in Firefox, SeaMonkey, or IE7. I've tried everything I
    could, but no go.

    Oh, just a minute. I just tried something and it works.
    Allow popups. White List amazon for popups and clear the
    cache and cookies.

    Popups: I don't know about Macs, but in windows its Tools,
    Options, Content, and click the Exceptions button to Popups.
    Add www.amazon.com to the allow list.

    Clear cookies and cache: for windows, tools, options,
    Privacy, click the settings button for Private Data, uncheck
    everything except cache and cookies [or check only those
    two]. OK that window, and go back to the Privacy window,
    then click on the Clear Now button.

    Now try amazon. If that doesn't work, then clear everything
    again, and restart FF.

    The settings I provided above are for windows. For Mac, I
    don't know. It might be under Edit, Preferences, or
    something else. Just look around for it.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Feb 26, 2008
  6. Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > RS wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> can you provide some links so we can test out whats going on? And
    >>> tell us what we're supposed to look for. Thanks
    >>>

    >> Thanks for your respond. As a simple example, I can search with Safari
    >> (OS X) and with IE (Win XP), inside the following book
    >>
    >> http://www.amazon.com/Parameter-Est...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204032666&sr=8-1
    >>

    >> Basically there is an area next to the book image where where you put
    >> the mouse and the site shows a text saying you can search inside the
    >> book. I have firefox on both machines and neither one can do search
    >> inside the book. That is, firefox no longer sees the area. The thing
    >> is that I had no problem with firefox a couple of weeks ago before.
    >> Also, on the OS X machine I have noscript (which I disabled and didn't
    >> make a difference). On the windows machine I have no plugins. I
    >> thought perhaps has inadvertently changed something on their site, but
    >> if you guys don't see the problem, that is even more confusing to me.
    >>
    >> Thanks again,
    >> RS

    > interesting! I've never noticed that before. I can see it in Safari,
    > Opera, Netscape 8.1.3, Netscape 9.0.0.5, but not in Firefox, SeaMonkey,
    > or IE7. I've tried everything I could, but no go.
    >
    > Oh, just a minute. I just tried something and it works. Allow popups.
    > White List amazon for popups and clear the cache and cookies.
    >
    > Popups: I don't know about Macs, but in windows its Tools, Options,
    > Content, and click the Exceptions button to Popups. Add www.amazon.com
    > to the allow list.
    >
    > Clear cookies and cache: for windows, tools, options, Privacy, click the
    > settings button for Private Data, uncheck everything except cache and
    > cookies [or check only those two]. OK that window, and go back to the
    > Privacy window, then click on the Clear Now button.
    >
    > Now try amazon. If that doesn't work, then clear everything again, and
    > restart FF.
    >
    > The settings I provided above are for windows. For Mac, I don't know.
    > It might be under Edit, Preferences, or something else. Just look
    > around for it.

    Firefox>>Preferences>>Privacy

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Feb 26, 2008
  7. Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> RS wrote:

    >>> Thanks for your respond. As a simple example, I can search with Safari
    >>> (OS X) and with IE (Win XP), inside the following book
    >>>
    >>> http://www.amazon.com/Parameter-Est...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204032666&sr=8-1
    >>>

    >>> Basically there is an area next to the book image where where you put
    >>> the mouse and the site shows a text saying you can search inside the
    >>> book. I have firefox on both machines and neither one can do search
    >>> inside the book. That is, firefox no longer sees the area. The thing
    >>> is that I had no problem with firefox a couple of weeks ago before.
    >>> Also, on the OS X machine I have noscript (which I disabled and didn't
    >>> make a difference). On the windows machine I have no plugins. I
    >>> thought perhaps has inadvertently changed something on their site, but
    >>> if you guys don't see the problem, that is even more confusing to me.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again,
    >>> RS

    >> interesting! I've never noticed that before. I can see it in Safari,
    >> Opera, Netscape 8.1.3, Netscape 9.0.0.5, but not in Firefox, SeaMonkey,
    >> or IE7. I've tried everything I could, but no go.
    >>
    >> Oh, just a minute. I just tried something and it works. Allow popups.
    >> White List amazon for popups and clear the cache and cookies.
    >>
    >> Popups: I don't know about Macs, but in windows its Tools, Options,
    >> Content, and click the Exceptions button to Popups. Add www.amazon.com
    >> to the allow list.
    >>
    >> Clear cookies and cache: for windows, tools, options, Privacy, click the
    >> settings button for Private Data, uncheck everything except cache and
    >> cookies [or check only those two]. OK that window, and go back to the
    >> Privacy window, then click on the Clear Now button.
    >>
    >> Now try amazon. If that doesn't work, then clear everything again, and
    >> restart FF.
    >>
    >> The settings I provided above are for windows. For Mac, I don't know.
    >> It might be under Edit, Preferences, or something else. Just look
    >> around for it.
    >>

    > Firefox>>Preferences>>Privacy
    >
    > Lee

    Heey, I was close! :) Thanks Lee!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Feb 26, 2008
  8. RS

    RS Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > RS wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> can you provide some links so we can test out whats going on? And
    >>> tell us what we're supposed to look for. Thanks
    >>>

    >> Thanks for your respond. As a simple example, I can search with Safari
    >> (OS X) and with IE (Win XP), inside the following book
    >>
    >> http://www.amazon.com/Parameter-Est...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204032666&sr=8-1
    >>

    >> Basically there is an area next to the book image where where you put
    >> the mouse and the site shows a text saying you can search inside the
    >> book. I have firefox on both machines and neither one can do search
    >> inside the book. That is, firefox no longer sees the area. The thing
    >> is that I had no problem with firefox a couple of weeks ago before.
    >> Also, on the OS X machine I have noscript (which I disabled and didn't
    >> make a difference). On the windows machine I have no plugins. I
    >> thought perhaps has inadvertently changed something on their site, but
    >> if you guys don't see the problem, that is even more confusing to me.
    >>
    >> Thanks again,
    >> RS

    > interesting! I've never noticed that before. I can see it in Safari,
    > Opera, Netscape 8.1.3, Netscape 9.0.0.5, but not in Firefox, SeaMonkey,
    > or IE7. I've tried everything I could, but no go.
    >
    > Oh, just a minute. I just tried something and it works. Allow popups.
    > White List amazon for popups and clear the cache and cookies.
    >
    > Popups: I don't know about Macs, but in windows its Tools, Options,
    > Content, and click the Exceptions button to Popups. Add www.amazon.com
    > to the allow list.
    >
    > Clear cookies and cache: for windows, tools, options, Privacy, click the
    > settings button for Private Data, uncheck everything except cache and
    > cookies [or check only those two]. OK that window, and go back to the
    > Privacy window, then click on the Clear Now button.
    >
    > Now try amazon. If that doesn't work, then clear everything again, and
    > restart FF.
    >
    > The settings I provided above are for windows. For Mac, I don't know.
    > It might be under Edit, Preferences, or something else. Just look
    > around for it.

    Thanks! This fixed my problem. I am still curious though. I had no
    problem in the past viewing these features with firefox, and I always
    had popup windows blocked. I wonder if amazon changed the way they
    implement these features, or if firefox 2.0.0.12 has strengthened and
    enhanced the popup blocking. Either way, it now works for me.

    Thanks again,
    RS

    RS, Feb 27, 2008
  9. RS wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> RS wrote:

    >>> Thanks for your respond. As a simple example, I can search with Safari
    >>> (OS X) and with IE (Win XP), inside the following book
    >>>
    >>> http://www.amazon.com/Parameter-Est...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1204032666&sr=8-1
    >>>

    >>> Basically there is an area next to the book image where where you put
    >>> the mouse and the site shows a text saying you can search inside the
    >>> book. I have firefox on both machines and neither one can do search
    >>> inside the book. That is, firefox no longer sees the area. The thing
    >>> is that I had no problem with firefox a couple of weeks ago before.
    >>> Also, on the OS X machine I have noscript (which I disabled and didn't
    >>> make a difference). On the windows machine I have no plugins. I
    >>> thought perhaps has inadvertently changed something on their site, but
    >>> if you guys don't see the problem, that is even more confusing to me.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks again,
    >>> RS

    >> interesting! I've never noticed that before. I can see it in Safari,
    >> Opera, Netscape 8.1.3, Netscape 9.0.0.5, but not in Firefox, SeaMonkey,
    >> or IE7. I've tried everything I could, but no go.
    >>
    >> Oh, just a minute. I just tried something and it works. Allow popups.
    >> White List amazon for popups and clear the cache and cookies.
    >>
    >> Popups: I don't know about Macs, but in windows its Tools, Options,
    >> Content, and click the Exceptions button to Popups. Add www.amazon.com
    >> to the allow list.
    >>
    >> Clear cookies and cache: for windows, tools, options, Privacy, click the
    >> settings button for Private Data, uncheck everything except cache and
    >> cookies [or check only those two]. OK that window, and go back to the
    >> Privacy window, then click on the Clear Now button.
    >>
    >> Now try amazon. If that doesn't work, then clear everything again, and
    >> restart FF.
    >>
    >> The settings I provided above are for windows. For Mac, I don't know.
    >> It might be under Edit, Preferences, or something else. Just look
    >> around for it.
    >>

    > Thanks! This fixed my problem. I am still curious though. I had no
    > problem in the past viewing these features with firefox, and I always
    > had popup windows blocked. I wonder if amazon changed the way they
    > implement these features, or if firefox 2.0.0.12 has strengthened and
    > enhanced the popup blocking. Either way, it now works for me.
    >
    > Thanks again,
    > RS

    I think its FF, cause when I tested it in Netscape 8.1.3 and
    9.0.0.5, they are based on a version of FF before 2.0.0.12.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Feb 27, 2008