Problem with adsl and telephone

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Ferg, Oct 28, 2004.

  1. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    For about 6 months I have had no problems but now the phone has started
    ringing once and then disconnecting when someone rings in.

    I rang telecom and they said that if they come out to check the line and the
    problem isn't with their equipment they will charge me for the call out.

    So I am trying to eliminate my hardware as the source of the problem.

    If I plug the phone into the wall jack it all goes fine. This would seem to
    indicate that the problem is with my equipment.

    But. Surely I should be able to have adsl and phone line going at same time.

    My next step is to buy another filter to see if this is the problem.

    The filter I have has a BT socket for the phone and an rj45? socket for the
    router.

    Because I have to use an extension cord to connect the router I use a
    splitter from the phone jack. Coz the extension has a BT plug and socket.

    Attempt at Diagram:

    Filter - Telephone
    /
    Jack - Splitter
    \ Extension cord - Router

    Does the router need to be coming off the filter too?

    Any ideas?

    Ferg

    Ferg, Oct 28, 2004

  2. Ferg

    Paul Guest

    "Ferg" <garblednonsense> wrote:

    >For about 6 months I have had no problems but now the phone has started
    >ringing once and then disconnecting when someone rings in.
    >
    >I rang telecom and they said that if they come out to check the line and the
    >problem isn't with their equipment they will charge me for the call out.
    >
    >So I am trying to eliminate my hardware as the source of the problem.
    >
    >If I plug the phone into the wall jack it all goes fine. This would seem to
    >indicate that the problem is with my equipment.
    >
    >But. Surely I should be able to have adsl and phone line going at same time.
    >
    >My next step is to buy another filter to see if this is the problem.
    >
    >The filter I have has a BT socket for the phone and an rj45? socket for the
    >router.
    >
    >Because I have to use an extension cord to connect the router I use a
    >splitter from the phone jack. Coz the extension has a BT plug and socket.
    >
    >Attempt at Diagram:
    >
    > Filter - Telephone
    > /
    >Jack - Splitter
    > \ Extension cord - Router
    >

    >Does the router need to be coming off the filter too?
    >
    >Any ideas?
    >
    >Ferg

    No you dont need a filter for the router Just for phones
    Try one thing at a time and using/dialing 137 to ring you back It
    sounds like something has a loop fault on it I would check the extn
    cord first to see if the pluggs are green/damp or if its been damaged
    going thru a door You could also try testing without the filter as
    phone should ring without it You just wont be able to use the net at
    the same time as the phone

    Good luck
    "Overclockers do it hotter and faster"
    Paul, Oct 29, 2004

  3. Ferg

    Harry Guest

    "Ferg" <garblednonsense> wrote:

    > For about 6 months I have had no problems but now the phone has started
    > ringing once and then disconnecting when someone rings in.
    >
    > I rang telecom and they said that if they come out to check the line and
    > the problem isn't with their equipment they will charge me for the call
    > out.
    >
    > So I am trying to eliminate my hardware as the source of the problem.
    >
    > If I plug the phone into the wall jack it all goes fine. This would seem
    > to indicate that the problem is with my equipment.
    >
    > But. Surely I should be able to have adsl and phone line going at same
    > time.
    >
    > My next step is to buy another filter to see if this is the problem.
    >
    > The filter I have has a BT socket for the phone and an rj45? socket for
    > the router.
    >
    > Because I have to use an extension cord to connect the router I use a
    > splitter from the phone jack. Coz the extension has a BT plug and socket.

    I have been getting a few single rings lately.
    Someone might be dialing patterns of numbers to determine
    what numbers are assigned. It is free, no matter how distant the call,
    provided nobody answers.

    Do you know for sure that somebody was actually trying to get through?
    Harry, Oct 29, 2004
  4. Ferg

    Phil Guest

    "Ferg" <garblednonsense> wrote in message news:41817428_3@127.0.0.1...
    > For about 6 months I have had no problems but now the phone has started
    > ringing once and then disconnecting when someone rings in.
    >
    > I rang telecom and they said that if they come out to check the line and

    the
    > problem isn't with their equipment they will charge me for the call out.
    >
    > So I am trying to eliminate my hardware as the source of the problem.
    >
    > If I plug the phone into the wall jack it all goes fine. This would seem

    > indicate that the problem is with my equipment.
    >
    > But. Surely I should be able to have adsl and phone line going at same

    time.

    > My next step is to buy another filter to see if this is the problem.
    >
    > The filter I have has a BT socket for the phone and an rj45? socket for

    the
    > router.
    >
    > Because I have to use an extension cord to connect the router I use a
    > splitter from the phone jack. Coz the extension has a BT plug and socket.
    >
    > Attempt at Diagram:
    >
    > Filter - Telephone
    > /
    > Jack - Splitter
    > \ Extension cord - Router
    >

    > Does the router need to be coming off the filter too?
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Ferg

    News==----

    Newsgroups

    Do you pay the line maintenance fee? If you do I don't think they can charge
    you for the call out if it isn't an issue with their system.
    Phil, Oct 29, 2004
  5. Ferg

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 13:07:55 +1300, "Phil" <phil****@slingshot.co.nz>
    wrote:

    <snip>

    >Do you pay the line maintenance fee? If you do I don't think they can charge
    >you for the call out if it isn't an issue with their system.

    That only covers the wiring from outside your house to the street etc.

    --
    BOINC SETI
    DoggNZ, Oct 29, 2004
  6. Ferg

    Cheetah Guest

    "Ferg" <garblednonsense> wrote:

    > For about 6 months I have had no problems but now the phone has started
    > ringing once and then disconnecting when someone rings in.
    >
    > I rang telecom and they said that if they come out to check the line and
    > the problem isn't with their equipment they will charge me for the call
    > out.

    My wife had this problem. I don't think it was equipment.
    Cheetah, Oct 29, 2004
  7. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    YEah. People would ring, be disconnected and ring back whereupon I would
    pounce and answer it when it was still ringing its first!

    Ferg

    Ferg, Oct 29, 2004
  8. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    Thanks everyone. Well I went to DSE and picked up a new filter and a
    converter thingee so I could plug my extension cord straight in to the
    filter and now everything works.

    So I suppose it was the filter or the splitter that was the problem.

    Thanks for the feedback.

    Ferg

    Ferg, Oct 29, 2004
  9. Ferg

    EMB Guest

    DoggNZ wrote:
    > On Fri, 29 Oct 2004 13:07:55 +1300, "Phil" <phil****@slingshot.co.nz>
    > wrote:

    >>Do you pay the line maintenance fee? If you do I don't think they can charge
    >>you for the call out if it isn't an issue with their system.

    > That only covers the wiring from outside your house to the street etc.

    Nope, no fee covers wiring to the demarc point. Paying the fee covers
    all wiring & jackpoints in your house.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Oct 29, 2004
  10. In article <41817428_3@127.0.0.1>, "Ferg" <garblednonsense> wrote:

    >Does the router need to be coming off the filter too?

    No, the filter is there to remove the higher frequencies that are used
    by ADSL. It's needed for the phone side to prevent these frequencies
    being audible as noise on the voice line. The ADSL side needs to see the
    full bandwidth--presumably the modem has its own filtering to get rid of
    the voice frequencies.
    Lawrence D¹Oliveiro, Oct 29, 2004
  11. Ferg

    gj Guest

    Ferg wrote:
    > For about 6 months I have had no problems but now the phone has started
    > ringing once and then disconnecting when someone rings in.
    >
    > I rang telecom and they said that if they come out to check the line and the
    > problem isn't with their equipment they will charge me for the call out.
    >
    > So I am trying to eliminate my hardware as the source of the problem.
    >
    > If I plug the phone into the wall jack it all goes fine. This would seem to
    > indicate that the problem is with my equipment.
    >
    > But. Surely I should be able to have adsl and phone line going at same time.
    >
    > My next step is to buy another filter to see if this is the problem.
    >
    > The filter I have has a BT socket for the phone and an rj45? socket for the
    > router.
    >
    > Because I have to use an extension cord to connect the router I use a
    > splitter from the phone jack. Coz the extension has a BT plug and socket.
    >
    > Attempt at Diagram:
    >
    > Filter - Telephone
    > /
    > Jack - Splitter
    > \ Extension cord - Router
    >

    > Does the router need to be coming off the filter too?
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Ferg

    > http://www.newsfeeds.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! >100,000 Newsgroups

    I have had a few single rings and some have delivered a fax type noise
    to the caller.

    We have no ADSL, no fax machines and no PC's connected to any phone
    jacks. In fact, only one phone connected.

    GJ
    gj, Oct 29, 2004
  12. Ferg

    Harry Guest

    "Ferg" <garblednonsense> wrote:

    > For about 6 months I have had no problems but now the phone has started
    > ringing once and then disconnecting when someone rings in.
    >
    > I rang telecom and they said that if they come out to check the line and
    > the problem isn't with their equipment they will charge me for the call
    > out.
    >
    > So I am trying to eliminate my hardware as the source of the problem.
    >
    > If I plug the phone into the wall jack it all goes fine. This would seem
    > to indicate that the problem is with my equipment.
    >
    > But. Surely I should be able to have adsl and phone line going at same
    > time.
    >
    > My next step is to buy another filter to see if this is the problem.
    >
    > The filter I have has a BT socket for the phone and an rj45? socket for
    > the router.
    >
    > Because I have to use an extension cord to connect the router I use a
    > splitter from the phone jack. Coz the extension has a BT plug and socket.
    >
    > Attempt at Diagram:
    >
    > Filter - Telephone
    > /
    > Jack - Splitter
    > \ Extension cord - Router
    >

    > Does the router need to be coming off the filter too?
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > Ferg

    Try to isolate the problem using a process of elimination.
    First, using a mobile, call your number.
    Does the ring tone on your mobile continue after the phone stops ringing?
    Next, disconnect the router, and try again.
    Next, depending on outcome, try a different filter.

    It should be a fairly simple matter to isolate the problem.
    Harry, Oct 29, 2004
  13. Ferg

    Collector_NZ Guest

    Harry said the following on 29/10/2004 22:42:
    > "Ferg" <garblednonsense> wrote:
    >

    >>For about 6 months I have had no problems but now the phone has started
    >>ringing once and then disconnecting when someone rings in.
    >>
    >>I rang telecom and they said that if they come out to check the line and
    >>the problem isn't with their equipment they will charge me for the call
    >>out.
    >>
    >>So I am trying to eliminate my hardware as the source of the problem.
    >>
    >>If I plug the phone into the wall jack it all goes fine. This would seem
    >>to indicate that the problem is with my equipment.
    >>
    >>But. Surely I should be able to have adsl and phone line going at same
    >>time.
    >>
    >>My next step is to buy another filter to see if this is the problem.
    >>
    >>The filter I have has a BT socket for the phone and an rj45? socket for
    >>the router.
    >>
    >>Because I have to use an extension cord to connect the router I use a
    >>splitter from the phone jack. Coz the extension has a BT plug and socket.
    >>
    >>Attempt at Diagram:
    >>
    >> Filter - Telephone
    >> /
    >>Jack - Splitter
    >> \ Extension cord - Router
    >>

    >>Does the router need to be coming off the filter too?
    >>
    >>Any ideas?
    >>
    >>Ferg
    >>

    > Try to isolate the problem using a process of elimination.
    > First, using a mobile, call your number.
    > Does the ring tone on your mobile continue after the phone stops ringing?
    > Next, disconnect the router, and try again.
    > Next, depending on outcome, try a different filter.
    >
    > It should be a fairly simple matter to isolate the problem.

    Typical Harry Horseshit, 6 hours after the OP has posted he has fixed
    the problem you actually post something worth while.

    --
    He was so narrow-minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.
    Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E | |
    Collector_NZ, Oct 29, 2004
  14. Ferg

    Paul W Guest

    >I have had a few single rings and some have delivered a fax type noise
    >to the caller.
    >
    >We have no ADSL, no fax machines and no PC's connected to any phone
    >jacks. In fact, only one phone connected.
    >
    >GJ

    Yeah and I bet you have a alarm They can answer incoming calls
    especially if had another call within a minute or two So if you have a
    problem with rings cutiing off the second time the caller gets the
    alarm modem and your line dies till the alarm disconnects
    "Overclockers do it hotter and faster"
    Paul W, Oct 29, 2004
  15. Ferg

    Harry Guest

    Collector_NZ wrote:

    > Harry said the following on 29/10/2004 22:42:
    >> "Ferg" <garblednonsense> wrote:
    >>

    >>>For about 6 months I have had no problems but now the phone has started
    >>>ringing once and then disconnecting when someone rings in.
    >>>
    >>>I rang telecom and they said that if they come out to check the line and
    >>>the problem isn't with their equipment they will charge me for the call
    >>>out.
    >>>
    >>>So I am trying to eliminate my hardware as the source of the problem.
    >>>
    >>>If I plug the phone into the wall jack it all goes fine. This would seem
    >>>to indicate that the problem is with my equipment.
    >>>
    >>>But. Surely I should be able to have adsl and phone line going at same
    >>>time.
    >>>
    >>>My next step is to buy another filter to see if this is the problem.
    >>>
    >>>The filter I have has a BT socket for the phone and an rj45? socket for
    >>>the router.
    >>>
    >>>Because I have to use an extension cord to connect the router I use a
    >>>splitter from the phone jack. Coz the extension has a BT plug and socket.
    >>>
    >>>Attempt at Diagram:
    >>>
    >>> Filter - Telephone
    >>> /
    >>>Jack - Splitter
    >>> \ Extension cord - Router
    >>>

    >>>Does the router need to be coming off the filter too?
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>>Ferg
    >>>

    >> Try to isolate the problem using a process of elimination.
    >> First, using a mobile, call your number.
    >> Does the ring tone on your mobile continue after the phone stops ringing?
    >> Next, disconnect the router, and try again.
    >> Next, depending on outcome, try a different filter.
    >>
    >> It should be a fairly simple matter to isolate the problem.
    >>

    > Typical Harry Horseshit, 6 hours after the OP has posted he has fixed
    > the problem you actually post something worth while.

    Brilliant from someone who has only just discovered that MS
    tracks your hardware configuration when you activate Windows. LOL!
    Harry, Oct 29, 2004
  16. Ferg

    Harry Guest

    Collector_NZ wrote:

    > Harry said the following on 29/10/2004 22:42:
    >> "Ferg" <garblednonsense> wrote:
    >>

    >>>For about 6 months I have had no problems but now the phone has started
    >>>ringing once and then disconnecting when someone rings in.
    >>>
    >>>I rang telecom and they said that if they come out to check the line and
    >>>the problem isn't with their equipment they will charge me for the call
    >>>out.
    >>>
    >>>So I am trying to eliminate my hardware as the source of the problem.
    >>>
    >>>If I plug the phone into the wall jack it all goes fine. This would seem
    >>>to indicate that the problem is with my equipment.
    >>>
    >>>But. Surely I should be able to have adsl and phone line going at same
    >>>time.
    >>>
    >>>My next step is to buy another filter to see if this is the problem.
    >>>
    >>>The filter I have has a BT socket for the phone and an rj45? socket for
    >>>the router.
    >>>
    >>>Because I have to use an extension cord to connect the router I use a
    >>>splitter from the phone jack. Coz the extension has a BT plug and socket.
    >>>
    >>>Attempt at Diagram:
    >>>
    >>> Filter - Telephone
    >>> /
    >>>Jack - Splitter
    >>> \ Extension cord - Router
    >>>

    >>>Does the router need to be coming off the filter too?
    >>>
    >>>Any ideas?
    >>>
    >>>Ferg
    >>>

    >> Try to isolate the problem using a process of elimination.
    >> First, using a mobile, call your number.
    >> Does the ring tone on your mobile continue after the phone stops ringing?
    >> Next, disconnect the router, and try again.
    >> Next, depending on outcome, try a different filter.
    >>
    >> It should be a fairly simple matter to isolate the problem.
    >>

    > Typical Harry Horseshit, 6 hours after the OP has posted he has fixed
    > the problem you actually post something worth while.

    And just in case you don't understand how topics thread on your
    average news client, I can inform you that the post where Ferg
    reveals the problem has been solved occurs after this subthread.
    And unlike imbeciles like yourself I read threads from top
    to bottom.

    What is your problem?

    > He was so narrow-minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.

    Ah I see!
    Let me pull out the mote that is in thine eye, when thou beholdest not
    the beam that is in thine own eye. Lk 6:42
    Harry, Oct 29, 2004
  17. Ferg

    Harry Guest

    Paul W wrote:

    >>I have had a few single rings and some have delivered a fax type noise
    >>to the caller.
    >>
    >>We have no ADSL, no fax machines and no PC's connected to any phone
    >>jacks. In fact, only one phone connected.
    >>
    >>GJ

    > Yeah and I bet you have a alarm They can answer incoming calls
    > especially if had another call within a minute or two So if you have a
    > problem with rings cutiing off the second time the caller gets the
    > alarm modem and your line dies till the alarm disconnects
    > "Overclockers do it hotter and faster"

    You are indeed privileged.
    When I dared to respond to this thread I got abused by some idiot
    calling himself Collector_NZ.

    If he was consistent, and not a hypocrite, he would attack everyone
    equally.

    No, you have to have the name Harry to be the victim of his vendetta.
    Ask Harry Phillips at tux.com.au why the Australian federal police
    are currently investigating Collector_NZ.
    Harry, Oct 29, 2004
  18. Ferg

    MarkH Guest

    Harry <> wrote in

    > And just in case you don't understand how topics thread on your
    > average news client, I can inform you that the post where Ferg
    > reveals the problem has been solved occurs after this subthread.
    > And unlike imbeciles like yourself I read threads from top
    > to bottom.

    Have you considered reading through all the posts in a thread before
    replying? This is what I do to save saying exactly the same thing as
    already said by someone else.

    Sometimes I read a thread and think of an important point or a possible
    solution, when I have finished reading the thread and find that no one else
    has mentioned what I thought of, then I post.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz
    understand binary and those that don't"
    MarkH, Oct 29, 2004
  19. Ferg

    gj Guest

    Paul W wrote:

    >>I have had a few single rings and some have delivered a fax type noise
    >>to the caller.
    >>
    >>We have no ADSL, no fax machines and no PC's connected to any phone
    >>jacks. In fact, only one phone connected.
    >>
    >>GJ

    > Yeah and I bet you have a alarm They can answer incoming calls
    > especially if had another call within a minute or two So if you have a
    > problem with rings cutiing off the second time the caller gets the
    > alarm modem and your line dies till the alarm disconnects
    > "Overclockers do it hotter and faster"

    Yes, I do have an alarm. Thank you very much. Now, is there anything I
    can do????

    GJ
    gj, Oct 29, 2004
  20. Ferg

    Collector_NZ Guest

    MarkH said the following on 30/10/2004 09:01:
    > Harry <> wrote in
    >

    >>And just in case you don't understand how topics thread on your
    >>average news client, I can inform you that the post where Ferg
    >>reveals the problem has been solved occurs after this subthread.
    >>And unlike imbeciles like yourself I read threads from top
    >>to bottom.

    > Have you considered reading through all the posts in a thread before
    > replying? This is what I do to save saying exactly the same thing as
    > already said by someone else.
    >
    > Sometimes I read a thread and think of an important point or a possible
    > solution, when I have finished reading the thread and find that no one else
    > has mentioned what I thought of, then I post.

    Actually I checked the time stamp and the location in the thread to
    determine that the Village Idiot had posted after the OP had fixed and
    reported the fix. Pity Halfwit Harry is such a loser as to make a good
    post (practical advice) then go on to be a typical Fuckwit.

    He should be a lot more careful about who he upsets and makes idiot
    comments about since I will be on his case for ever.

    Collector_NZ, Oct 29, 2004