Problem with a Speedstream Wireless Router...

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Mike Sparke, Nov 18, 2004.

  1. Mike Sparke

    Mike Sparke Guest

    I have an integral Broadcom Wireless card in a Gateway MB520S.

    I have several public access points that I routinely and easily gain access
    on. Whenever I try to gain access to a SpeedStream router at a favorite
    restaurant, the computer can not an automatic IP address from the router and
    the host computer. All of the settings are the same as the ones that work
    fine...Open, non-encrypted, Automatic...

    I have tried turning off XP Firewall, Norton Internet Security. I have
    tried running IPCONFIG/Release and then IPCONFIG/Renew.

    When running the wireless network troubleshooter, it gets stuck trying to
    get the IP address from the network, then times out...

    The guy who runs the network for the restaurant is a Linux/Mac Head who
    swears that there has to be something wrong with my XP config, but neither
    he or others can find anything that is configured wrong.

    The XP automatic wireless app works fine when connecting to Linksys, Netgear
    and other routers.

    What could be wrong?

    BTW this just started to happen, I used to be able to connect with this same
    computer, wireless card and configs at this wireless access point...

    Ain't technology grand???????

    If you have a solution you can contact me directly at

    Mike Sparke, Nov 18, 2004

  2. It's possible that DHCP either isn't enabled or is not working properly on
    the router. Can other machines associate and recieve a dynamically assigned
    IP address?

    Peter Bui[MS], Nov 30, 2004