    computer will not finish loading. Does anyone have any ideas? I am very
    appreciative for any help!

    Bev

    Bev, Jan 11, 2004

  2. Bev

    Spider Guest

    > I am running Win XP Pro and I have been having a problem with rpcss for a
    > month. I have checked for blaster and it is not there. The problem is in
    > the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,
    > SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs\Start\REG_DWORD. The hexadecimal
    > and decimal always change from a 2 to a 4 when I reboot the computer and I
    > have to go into the registry and manually change it back to a 2 or the
    > computer will not finish loading. Does anyone have any ideas? I am very
    > appreciative for any help!
    >
    > Bev

    Bev,
    I suspect you are not posting the whole story here. This is not a typical reg key that one would just browse to and change. There has to be some history behing you knowing to go there and make the change. Perhaps if you enlighten us on the circumstances a suggested fix would be more accurate.

    Spider
    http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1

    Spider, Jan 11, 2004

  3. Bev

    Bev Guest

    I appreciate your response. It took me a couple of weeks to figure out what
    key was changing everytime I booted up. I knew from internet research that
    the problem was in the remote procedure call, so I used a program called
    registry crawler to find all references to the key rpcss. There is a
    controlset 0, 1, 2, & 3 in the registry and I compared the entries in each
    one and noticed that the control set 0 was changing from 4 to 2 every time I
    rebooted, preventing me from fully rebooting. I started changing it
    manually everytime I rebooted so that the computer would finish the reboot
    and it has worked everytime. If I fail to change it, it doesn't reboot
    fully.

    Thank you again. I have spent so much time trying to figure it out.

    Bev, Jan 11, 2004
  4. Bev

    DataSpider Guest

    "Bev" <> wrote in message
    > I appreciate your response. It took me a couple of weeks to figure out

    what
    > key was changing everytime I booted up. I knew from internet research

    that
    > the problem was in the remote procedure call, so I used a program called
    > registry crawler to find all references to the key rpcss. There is a
    > controlset 0, 1, 2, & 3 in the registry and I compared the entries in each
    > one and noticed that the control set 0 was changing from 4 to 2 every time

    > rebooted, preventing me from fully rebooting. I started changing it
    > manually everytime I rebooted so that the computer would finish the reboot
    > and it has worked everytime. If I fail to change it, it doesn't reboot
    > fully.
    >
    > Thank you again. I have spent so much time trying to figure it out.
    >
    > "Spider" <> wrote in message
    > > > I am running Win XP Pro and I have been having a problem with rpcss

    for
    > > > month. I have checked for blaster and it is not there. The problem

    is
    > in
    > > > the key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE,
    > > > SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\RpcSs\Start\REG_DWORD. The

    > hexadecimal
    > > > and decimal always change from a 2 to a 4 when I reboot the computer

    and
    > > > have to go into the registry and manually change it back to a 2 or the
    > > > computer will not finish loading. Does anyone have any ideas? I am

    > very
    > > > appreciative for any help!
    > > >
    > > > Bev

    > > Bev,
    > > I suspect you are not posting the whole story here. This is not a

    typical
    > reg key that one would just browse to and change. There has to be some
    > history behing you knowing to go there and make the change. Perhaps if

    you
    > enlighten us on the circumstances a suggested fix would be more accurate.
    > >
    > > Spider
    > > http://web.tampabay.rr.com/spider1

    Blaster ?

    DataSpider, Jan 11, 2004
  5. Bev

    Spider Guest

    Re: Re: problem with a registry key

    > I appreciate your response. It took me a couple of weeks to figure out what
    > key was changing everytime I booted up. I knew from internet research that
    > the problem was in the remote procedure call, so I used a program called
    > registry crawler to find all references to the key rpcss. There is a
    > controlset 0, 1, 2, & 3 in the registry and I compared the entries in each
    > one and noticed that the control set 0 was changing from 4 to 2 every time I
    > rebooted, preventing me from fully rebooting. I started changing it
    > manually everytime I rebooted so that the computer would finish the reboot
    > and it has worked everytime. If I fail to change it, it doesn't reboot
    > fully.
    >
    > Thank you again. I have spent so much time trying to figure it out.

    Bev,
    Well changing on reboot is very indicative of something starting up that is making the change. Some spyware/viruses are known to do this. You should run a complete virus scan after insuring you have current updates on your anti virus software and also do a complete spyware removal process by using a combination of spybot, ad-aware and hijackthis. I like hijackthis as you can examine all entires in the run key, both current user and local machine, as well as the global startup items. These tools can be obtained on http://www.spywareinfo.com or search this group for Boomer's posts and use the excellent links he posts in response to spyware issues.

    Spider, Jan 11, 2004
  6. First of all, you really didn't answer Spider's question (IMO) because
    you're not explaining what prompted you to go looking for a key changing
    everytime you booted up. WHY were you looking for anything in the first
    place -- what was the actual *symptom* that made you go looking?

    Second, none of the changes except "currentcontrolset" matter; they
    should not show as 0,1,2,&3 but rather as current, 001, 002, and 003. The
    reason it may be changing is that you are changing the wrong one or there
    is something changing it. But without explaining why you even went
    looking for it, how can someone help you pin that down?

    YOu mention, for example, Blaster. Were you infected and trying to clean
    it up? WHAT *exactly* made you go looking for anything in the first
    place? You say you have "trouble" with RPCSS; what type of trouble, exactly?

    Please be thorough and include *all* details, and then someone surely can
    help you. For example, perhaps you're just not making the change from the
    administrator's account? Perhaps there are policies in place to keep you
    from changing it? In any case, you are going about changing it the hard
    way, and you really need to explain why you feel a need to do this at all.

    The only thing you say below is that the computer doesn't reboot "fully"
    or complete reboot unless you change this ... but that doesn't make a lot
    of sense in and of itself, nor is it clear what you really mean. For
    example, I might *guess* that you find that the instance of svchost
    associated with RPCSS consumes a lot of resources when Windows first
    starts ... but that would be pure conjecture, based on trying to divine
    without a clue from you ... and if that is the case, if it's the reason
    for your going through this odd exercise of changing the startup through a
    direct registry edit, your concern is misplaced. Or, perhaps you had
    blaster and you didn't fully clean it up, just think you did so, and
    that's interfering with Windows starting up properly.

    So please post back with very clear info about what you mean and why you
    went the route you did ... and while you're at it, please assure us that
    you have now got up-to-date anti-virus software running and that if you
    did have an infection before, you've re-scanned your system & it's come up
    clean, and if it was blaster then you followed the FULL instructions for
    cleaning it up and didn't just get rid of a file or two.

    This is particularly critical as there are a LOT of services that depend
    on RPCSS being started properly, and you may be disrupting those with your
    efforts to keep it from starting.

    -- DE

    Tergiversative, Jan 11, 2004
  7. Bev

    Harrison Guest

    Other than checking for Blaster, have you performed a full scan for
    viruses and spyware?
    Do you have available a restore point in System Restore prior to the
    onset of the problem?
    Have you scanned your startup items with hijackthis to see if
    something is rewriting the value?
    At worst, you could export the correct key and put the reg file in
    your startup folder so it would run every time you start the computer.

    Harrison, Jan 11, 2004
  8. Bev

    °Mike° Guest

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

    On Sun, 11 Jan 2004 09:17:58 -0500, in
    <>
    Harrison scrawled:

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Jan 11, 2004
  9. Bev

    Senti Guest

    Re: Re: problem with a registry key

    Spider did mumble KLaMb.8209$...

    or search this group for Boomer's posts
    > and use the excellent links he posts in response to spyware issues.

    she^^

    --
    ~SF~
    Only Robinson Crusoe had everything done by Friday. -Anonymous

    Senti, Jan 11, 2004
  10. Bev

    Boomer Guest

    Senti, <> wrote:

    > Spider did mumble
    > KLaMb.8209$...
    >
    > or search this group for Boomer's posts
    >> and use the excellent links he posts in response to spyware
    >> issues.

    > she^^

    lol I didn't see that.

    Good catch. ;)

    Boomer, Jan 11, 2004
  11. Bev

    Bev Guest

    Re: Re: problem with a registry key

    I have now scanned with spybot, avg antivirus, and hijackthis and each scan
    found errors. I instructed each program to fix the errors and they did. I
    thought it fixed my problem because I rebooted and it didn't change the key
    but then later I rebooted again and it did change the key, causing the
    computer to not load without going into Safe mode. I am now baffled.
    Thank you for your response.

    Bev, Jan 12, 2004