    having trouble with the new 2gb card. Is this a memory or a software problem
    or something else? The images record to the 2gb card. I can view them while
    still on the card. I just can not download or copy them to the computer.
    Bruce and Sherryl, Feb 13, 2005

  2. Bruce and Sherryl wrote:
    > I have an iMac with 256k of memory (700mHz PowerPC G4) running OSX 10.2.8.
    > When I plug the memory card into the reader, I can not transfer files to the
    > computer. I get a message to the effect "Operation can not be completed
    > because some data cannot be read or written (Error Code -36)". My card
    > reader works with 64mb and 512mb cards in 3 different cameras. I am only
    > having trouble with the new 2gb card. Is this a memory or a software problem
    > or something else? The images record to the 2gb card. I can view them while
    > still on the card. I just can not download or copy them to the computer.

    Sorry to say, 256 *Megs* is generally way underpowered for some
    operations on both Macs and PCs. How much free disk space do you have?

    What happens if you try to d/l them via Image Capture?

    --

    John McWilliams
    John McWilliams, Feb 13, 2005

  3. In article <>,
    John McWilliams <> wrote:

    > Bruce and Sherryl wrote:
    > > I have an iMac with 256k of memory (700mHz PowerPC G4) running OSX 10.2.8.
    > > When I plug the memory card into the reader, I can not transfer files to the
    > > computer. I get a message to the effect "Operation can not be completed
    > > because some data cannot be read or written (Error Code -36)". My card
    > > reader works with 64mb and 512mb cards in 3 different cameras. I am only
    > > having trouble with the new 2gb card. Is this a memory or a software problem
    > > or something else? The images record to the 2gb card. I can view them while
    > > still on the card. I just can not download or copy them to the computer.
    > >

    > Sorry to say, 256 *Megs* is generally way underpowered for some
    > operations on both Macs and PCs.

    And the old 700MHz iMac is pretty limited for upgrades: it only has one
    DIMM slot. According to Crucial.com, you need a 144-pin SODIMM module,
    PC133 CL=3 Non-parity: the biggest you can go is to a 512M for $101.

    IMO, its probably time to consider a new machine, and relegate this one
    to just surfing.

    > How much free disk space do you have?
    >
    > What happens if you try to d/l them via Image Capture?

    I'd also look towards basic principles: if the 2GB card doesn't
    successfully download with only 1 or 2 photo's on it, then its more
    likely a logical "addressibility" issue than insufficient RAM or HD.

    -hh
    H. Huntzinger, Feb 13, 2005
  4. Bruce and Sherryl

    Ernie Klein Guest

    In article <BE343FEB.FD0C%>,
    Bruce and Sherryl <> wrote:

    > I have an iMac with 256k of memory (700mHz PowerPC G4) running OSX 10.2.8.
    > When I plug the memory card into the reader, I can not transfer files to the
    > computer. I get a message to the effect "Operation can not be completed
    > because some data cannot be read or written (Error Code -36)". My card
    > reader works with 64mb and 512mb cards in 3 different cameras. I am only
    > having trouble with the new 2gb card. Is this a memory or a software problem
    > or something else? The images record to the 2gb card. I can view them while
    > still on the card. I just can not download or copy them to the computer.

    Error -36 is an Input/Output error which usually means that the media is
    corrupted or in a format that the Mac can't understand. Try
    reformatting the card in your camera. You might also try using the
    'Disk Utility First Aid' on the Mac check the card. You could also try
    to format the card using the 'Disk Utility' on the Mac so the Mac can
    read the format (there is a chance that the camera won't be able to use
    the card with a Mac format, however).

    The small amount of RAM on your system is not the problem. It just
    makes the system run slower (has to swap in and out of RAM a lot which
    is time consuming). If you upgrade to 512MB of RAM you will really
    notice the difference.

    --
    -Ernie-

    "There are only two kinds of computer users -- those who have
    suffered a catastrophic hard drive failure, and those who will."

    Have you done your backup today?
    Ernie Klein, Feb 13, 2005
  5. Bruce and Sherryl

    Ray Fischer Guest

    John McWilliams <> wrote:
    >Bruce and Sherryl wrote:
    >> I have an iMac with 256k of memory (700mHz PowerPC G4) running OSX 10.2.8.
    >> When I plug the memory card into the reader, I can not transfer files to the
    >> computer. I get a message to the effect "Operation can not be completed
    >> because some data cannot be read or written (Error Code -36)". My card
    >> reader works with 64mb and 512mb cards in 3 different cameras. I am only
    >> having trouble with the new 2gb card. Is this a memory or a software problem
    >> or something else? The images record to the 2gb card. I can view them while
    >> still on the card. I just can not download or copy them to the computer.
    >>

    >Sorry to say, 256 *Megs* is generally way underpowered for some
    >operations on both Macs and PCs. How much free disk space do you have?

    None of which is relevant to the question. A -36 error is basically
    an I/O error. Something isn't happy with the card. It could be that
    OS X 10.2 doesn't know how to deal with large cards.

    --
    Ray Fischer
    Ray Fischer, Feb 14, 2005
  6. Bruce and Sherryl

    Stewy Guest

    In article
    <{NOSPAM-rm_to_reply}
    om>,
    " H. Huntzinger" <{NOSPAM-rm_to_reply}>
    wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > John McWilliams <> wrote:
    >
    > > Bruce and Sherryl wrote:
    > > > I have an iMac with 256k of memory (700mHz PowerPC G4) running OSX
    > > > 10.2.8.
    > > > When I plug the memory card into the reader, I can not transfer files to
    > > > the
    > > > computer. I get a message to the effect "Operation can not be completed
    > > > because some data cannot be read or written (Error Code -36)". My card
    > > > reader works with 64mb and 512mb cards in 3 different cameras. I am only
    > > > having trouble with the new 2gb card. Is this a memory or a software
    > > > problem
    > > > or something else? The images record to the 2gb card. I can view them
    > > > while
    > > > still on the card. I just can not download or copy them to the computer.
    > > >

    > > Sorry to say, 256 *Megs* is generally way underpowered for some
    > > operations on both Macs and PCs.

    > And the old 700MHz iMac is pretty limited for upgrades: it only has one
    > DIMM slot. According to Crucial.com, you need a 144-pin SODIMM module,
    > PC133 CL=3 Non-parity: the biggest you can go is to a 512M for $101.
    >
    > IMO, its probably time to consider a new machine, and relegate this one
    > to just surfing.
    >

    > > How much free disk space do you have?
    > >
    > > What happens if you try to d/l them via Image Capture?

    > I'd also look towards basic principles: if the 2GB card doesn't
    > successfully download with only 1 or 2 photo's on it, then its more
    > likely a logical "addressibility" issue than insufficient RAM or HD.

    Did you use the generic iPhoto to download the images? More importantly,
    did you use the delete pictures after download feature? This could be
    reasons the card is giving trouble. I'm using a 1gb CF on my iMac
    (768mb, 800mhz PowerPC G4) with no trouble at all. I force quit iPhoto
    and download directly into a folder on an external drive (copying with
    firewire back to the main drive for later CDR backup)
    Stewy, Feb 15, 2005