    --
    Peter Kennedy
    ------------------------

    Pete Kennedy, Jul 5, 2005

  2. Pete Kennedy

    Malke Guest

    Pete Kennedy wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I recently set up a wireless LAN/Internet connection between 3 pcs and
    > all worked fine. The modem/router is a D-Link DSL-G604T. Because the
    > modem makes a slight hissing sound, my wife unplugged it last night
    > and this morning booted her PC forgetting the router was unplugged.
    > So, she connected the router and now nothing works : no Internet
    > connection (there's no availabe network) and impossible to connect to
    > the router's admin utility. Should this happen ? If not, is it a
    > hardware problem ?
    >
    > I'm not looking forward to installing the damned thing again so any
    > friendly advice here would be most welcome.

    Turn off the computers (not really necessary, but easier for a novice
    unless you want to run commands on all the machines). Then unplug the
    router and unplug the cable/dsl modem. Wait about a minute. Then plug
    in the cable/dsl modem, then plug in the router. Now turn on all your
    computers. If still no joy, I would suspect the router is toast.
    Routers do not normally make any noise whatsoever. Replace it with a
    new one.

    Malke
    --
    MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    Elephant Boy Computers

    Malke, Jul 5, 2005

  3. Pete Kennedy schrieb:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I recently set up a wireless LAN/Internet connection between 3 pcs and all
    > worked fine. The modem/router is a D-Link DSL-G604T. Because the modem makes
    > a slight hissing sound, my wife unplugged it last night and this morning
    > booted her PC forgetting the router was unplugged. So, she connected the
    > router and now nothing works : no Internet connection (there's no availabe
    > network) and impossible to connect to the router's admin utility. Should
    > this happen ? If not, is it a hardware problem ?

    Reboot the PC or repair the network connection...

    --
    Martin Bodenstedt

    www.landtag-bw.de / www.die-bodenstedts.de

    Martin Bodenstedt, Jul 5, 2005
  4. Pete Kennedy

    Pete Kennedy Guest

    "Malke" <> a écrit dans le message de news:
    u#...
    > Pete Kennedy wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I recently set up a wireless LAN/Internet connection between 3 pcs and
    > > all worked fine. The modem/router is a D-Link DSL-G604T. Because the
    > > modem makes a slight hissing sound, my wife unplugged it last night
    > > and this morning booted her PC forgetting the router was unplugged.
    > > So, she connected the router and now nothing works : no Internet
    > > connection (there's no availabe network) and impossible to connect to
    > > the router's admin utility. Should this happen ? If not, is it a
    > > hardware problem ?
    > >
    > > I'm not looking forward to installing the damned thing again so any
    > > friendly advice here would be most welcome.
    > >

    > Turn off the computers (not really necessary, but easier for a novice
    > unless you want to run commands on all the machines). Then unplug the
    > router and unplug the cable/dsl modem. Wait about a minute. Then plug
    > in the cable/dsl modem, then plug in the router. Now turn on all your
    > computers. If still no joy, I would suspect the router is toast.
    > Routers do not normally make any noise whatsoever. Replace it with a
    > new one.
    >
    > Malke
    > --
    > MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    > Elephant Boy Computers
    > www.elephantboycomputers.com
    > "Don't Panic"

    Thanks. its a combined router/dsl modem. My wife rebooted everything and
    although there's all the right lights flashing on the router, there's no
    connection. Also it continues to hiss and runs quite hot so it could be a
    hardware problem.

    Cheers
    Peter

    Pete Kennedy, Jul 5, 2005
  5. Pete Kennedy

    Malke Guest

    Pete Kennedy wrote:

    > "Malke" <> a écrit dans le message de news:
    > u#...
    >> Pete Kennedy wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi,
    >> >
    >> > I recently set up a wireless LAN/Internet connection between 3 pcs
    >> > and all worked fine. The modem/router is a D-Link DSL-G604T.
    >> > Because the modem makes a slight hissing sound, my wife unplugged
    >> > it last night and this morning booted her PC forgetting the router
    >> > was unplugged. So, she connected the router and now nothing works :
    >> > no Internet connection (there's no availabe network) and impossible
    >> > to connect to the router's admin utility. Should this happen ? If
    >> > not, is it a hardware problem ?
    >> >
    >> > I'm not looking forward to installing the damned thing again so any
    >> > friendly advice here would be most welcome.
    >> >

    >> Turn off the computers (not really necessary, but easier for a novice
    >> unless you want to run commands on all the machines). Then unplug the
    >> router and unplug the cable/dsl modem. Wait about a minute. Then plug
    >> in the cable/dsl modem, then plug in the router. Now turn on all your
    >> computers. If still no joy, I would suspect the router is toast.
    >> Routers do not normally make any noise whatsoever. Replace it with a
    >> new one.
    >>
    >> Malke
    >> --
    >> MS-MVP Windows User/Shell
    >> Elephant Boy Computers
    >> www.elephantboycomputers.com
    >> "Don't Panic"

    > Thanks. its a combined router/dsl modem. My wife rebooted everything
    > and although there's all the right lights flashing on the router,
    > there's no connection. Also it continues to hiss and runs quite hot so
    > it could be a hardware problem.

    Then you and I are in complete agreement. The equipment should
    definitely not be hissing! Call your ISP and have them replace it
    immediately.

    Malke

    Malke, Jul 5, 2005
  6. I have a DLink router and a DLink 8-port switch, both make a very low hissing
    sound. This appears to be normal for Dlink equipment.

    Second, the router always needs to be left on. so if the noise is bothering
    you, do what I did, mount it under your desk using the screwholes on the
    bottom of the router and some wood screws.

    There are a couple reasons why you should leave the router on. First, your
    DSL takes a few monutes to connect every time you turn off the DSL modem.
    This is called "Training" and on my Creative DSL modem, takes a minute or
    two. Second, when you fire up your PC, it gets its IP address from the
    router. So if the router is off, your PC will not have an IP. Even if you
    later trun on the router, your PC will not automatically get and IP. You can
    reboot, or as someone else said, you can do a "repiar" onyour LAN connection.
    Go to the Control Panel, select Network Connections, and right-click the
    "local area network" connection, an choose Repair. That will query the router
    for an IP address, and in a few seconds it should work (this assumes you have
    WinXP).

    I hope this helps you out...

    =?Utf-8?B?TW9ya2lu?=, Jul 6, 2005
  7. Pete Kennedy

    Malke Guest

    Morkin wrote:

    > I have a DLink router and a DLink 8-port switch, both make a very low
    > hissing sound. This appears to be normal for Dlink equipment.
    >
    > Second, the router always needs to be left on. so if the noise is
    > bothering you, do what I did, mount it under your desk using the
    > screwholes on the bottom of the router and some wood screws.
    >
    > There are a couple reasons why you should leave the router on. First,
    > your DSL takes a few monutes to connect every time you turn off the
    > DSL modem. This is called "Training" and on my Creative DSL modem,
    > takes a minute or two. Second, when you fire up your PC, it gets its
    > IP address from the router. So if the router is off, your PC will not
    > have an IP. Even if you later trun on the router, your PC will not
    > automatically get and IP. You can reboot, or as someone else said, you
    > can do a "repiar" onyour LAN connection. Go to the Control Panel,
    > select Network Connections, and right-click the "local area network"
    > connection, an choose Repair. That will query the router for an IP
    > address, and in a few seconds it should work (this assumes you have
    > WinXP).

    Thanks for the additional information, Morkin. I had no idea that DLink
    routers made noise! I've installed Belkins and I have a Linksys, and
    they are quiet and while warm, they aren't very hot either. Hopefully
    the OP will be able to get the problem fixed.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    "Don't Panic!"
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    Malke, Jul 6, 2005
  8. Pete Kennedy

    TW Guest

    I have been using D-Link equipment for years and have NEVER heard a hissing
    sound- hubs, switches, 802.11b wireless routers, and 802.11g wireless,
    wireless print servers both b and g.
    Not a sound from ANY of this equipment. No hissing at all.
    I think you have hardware issues.

    TW, Jul 7, 2005