Problem when installing applications made with InstallShield under VIsta 64-bit

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by erikhamba@yahoo.de, Jul 16, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hi all,

    When I install different programs which were apparently made with
    InstallShield under my Windows Vista 64-bit systems, the following
    error message appears:

    The program or feature "\\??\D:\Setup.exe" cannot start or run due to
    incompatibility with 64-bit version of Windows. Please contact the
    software vendor to ask if 64-bit Windows is compatible.

    I know that it is due to the fact that the bootstrap loader is 16-bit,
    but Microsoft apparently has a fix around this (replacing the 16-bit
    stub by a 32-bit one). However, this doesn't always seem to work.

    Does anybody know how to install applications packaged with
    InstallShield which still have a 16-bit bootstrap loader under Windows
    Vista 64-bit (or at least give me some hints)?

    Regards,

    Erik Hamba
    , Jul 16, 2007

  2. Allan Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > When I install different programs which were apparently made with
    > InstallShield under my Windows Vista 64-bit systems, the following
    > error message appears:
    >
    > The program or feature "\\??\D:\Setup.exe" cannot start or run due to
    > incompatibility with 64-bit version of Windows. Please contact the
    > software vendor to ask if 64-bit Windows is compatible.
    >
    > I know that it is due to the fact that the bootstrap loader is 16-bit,
    > but Microsoft apparently has a fix around this (replacing the 16-bit
    > stub by a 32-bit one). However, this doesn't always seem to work.
    >
    > Does anybody know how to install applications packaged with
    > InstallShield which still have a 16-bit bootstrap loader under Windows
    > Vista 64-bit (or at least give me some hints)?
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Erik Hamba

    I don't know how but here is a possible resource for your use in the future
    : http://consumer.installshield.com/ . There is an error submission
    procedure mentioned at this site.
    Allan, Jul 16, 2007

  3. RE: Problem when installing applications made with InstallShield under

    Hi:
    16-bit installers are not supported in Vista 64-bit systems.
    There is no workaround for that.
    Possible alternatives:
    1.- Get a newer version of the software that doesn't have a 16-bit installer.
    2.- Install Virtual PC 2007 (freeware) and Windows XP or the OS you were
    using with those non-working apps.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jul 16, 2007
  4. Re: Problem when installing applications made with InstallShield under

    Didn't someone here told us of a way to run the installation on a separate
    machine and then manually move the installed application over and using the
    *.INF file to manually put the registry keys into place?

    (Or something like that)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Jul 16, 2007
  5. Re: Problem when installing applications made with InstallShield u

    Doable, but surely with unexpected results.
    I would copy the folder under Program Files and also the files that may have
    been added to system32.
    The registry keys (*.reg file) would also be something to clone.
    Don't know how to clone the dll registering process that could have taken
    place.
    Worth a try, though.
    Carlos

    =?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=, Jul 16, 2007
  6. Jim Guest

    Re: Problem when installing applications made with InstallShield u

    On Jul 16, 4:10 pm, Carlos <> wrote:

    FWIT: I get the *same* type of error message under Win x64. The
    utility program for my 3ware/AMCC Raid card will not install on my Win
    x64 system. It says it requires a 64-bit operating system. I *have*
    a 64-bit operating system! The program shuts down and will not run.
    They tell me I am only one of 13, unlucky, people in the world with
    the problem. <sigh>

    Good luck to you! :)

    Jim
    Jim, Jul 17, 2007