    lens) .

    Thanks.
    -Steve
    Steve, Feb 23, 2008

  2. Steve

    Jim Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I recently purchased two used lenses from different sources, and just
    > received them in the mail (yea!). Both are nikon: 85mm and 50mm 1.8
    > lenses. However, when comparing images from the two, I'm noticing that
    > the 50 is consistenly 1 exp position underexposed. I can compensate in
    > the auto modes by bumping up the exposure, so I first thought this
    > might just be a meteringt thing. However, I just tried a comparison
    > shooting outdoor shots in full manual. For the same shutter speed
    > (1/60), f/8 ap on the 85 gave the same as f/5 for the 50mm. f/8 on the
    > 50 was a LOT darker...
    >
    > Is this normal, and if not, what can I do (short of getting rid of the
    > lens) .
    >
    > Thanks.
    > -Steve

    No, it is not normal.... I check all my lenses from time to time just to
    see if something like this has happened.
    So far, they all do just fine.
    Jim
    Jim, Feb 23, 2008

  3. In article <oRYvj.12212$>,
    "Jim" <> wrote:

    > "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > >I recently purchased two used lenses from different sources, and just
    > > received them in the mail (yea!). Both are nikon: 85mm and 50mm 1.8
    > > lenses. However, when comparing images from the two, I'm noticing that
    > > the 50 is consistenly 1 exp position underexposed. I can compensate in
    > > the auto modes by bumping up the exposure, so I first thought this
    > > might just be a meteringt thing. However, I just tried a comparison
    > > shooting outdoor shots in full manual. For the same shutter speed
    > > (1/60), f/8 ap on the 85 gave the same as f/5 for the 50mm. f/8 on the
    > > 50 was a LOT darker...
    > >
    > > Is this normal, and if not, what can I do (short of getting rid of the
    > > lens) .
    > >
    > > Thanks.
    > > -Steve

    > No, it is not normal.... I check all my lenses from time to time just to
    > see if something like this has happened.
    > So far, they all do just fine.

    Lucky you.

    Any advice for the OP?

    --
    With or without religion, you would have good people doing
    good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good

    Steven Weinberg
    Ockham's Razor, Feb 23, 2008
  4. Steve

    flambe Guest

    If you bought on Ebay you may be out of luck and have to learn to live with
    exposure compensation.
    Most real stores have time-limited policies on returns.
    flambe, Feb 23, 2008
  5. Steve

    frederick Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > I recently purchased two used lenses from different sources, and just
    > received them in the mail (yea!). Both are nikon: 85mm and 50mm 1.8
    > lenses. However, when comparing images from the two, I'm noticing that
    > the 50 is consistenly 1 exp position underexposed. I can compensate in
    > the auto modes by bumping up the exposure, so I first thought this
    > might just be a meteringt thing. However, I just tried a comparison
    > shooting outdoor shots in full manual. For the same shutter speed
    > (1/60), f/8 ap on the 85 gave the same as f/5 for the 50mm. f/8 on the
    > 50 was a LOT darker...
    >
    > Is this normal, and if not, what can I do (short of getting rid of the
    > lens) .
    >
    > Thanks.
    > -Steve

    Have you any other lenses to compare them with?
    There is some variation between different lens designs in exposure,
    that's normal - but 1 stop difference seems much more than normal.
    I have read that the 85mm (IIRC the f1.4) tends to overexpose, with some
    users dialing in EV -0.5 to compensate (I don't know if the same applies
    for the f1.8 version)
    Check the aperture blade alignment by looking through the lens set at
    f22 and closing the aperture by moving the lever on the back of the
    lens. Not many lenses have blades aligned perfectly resulting in a
    perfect polygon as the lens is stopped down, but if it was bad enough to
    cause 1 stop over exposure, you should see it. If you quickly release
    the lever, the aperture should open up fully instantly.
    frederick, Feb 23, 2008
  6. Steve

    Jim Guest

    "Ockham's Razor" <> wrote in message
    > In article <oRYvj.12212$>,
    > "Jim" <> wrote:
    >
    >> "Steve" <> wrote in message
    >> >I recently purchased two used lenses from different sources, and just
    >> > received them in the mail (yea!). Both are nikon: 85mm and 50mm 1.8
    >> > lenses. However, when comparing images from the two, I'm noticing that
    >> > the 50 is consistenly 1 exp position underexposed. I can compensate in
    >> > the auto modes by bumping up the exposure, so I first thought this
    >> > might just be a meteringt thing. However, I just tried a comparison
    >> > shooting outdoor shots in full manual. For the same shutter speed
    >> > (1/60), f/8 ap on the 85 gave the same as f/5 for the 50mm. f/8 on the
    >> > 50 was a LOT darker...
    >> >
    >> > Is this normal, and if not, what can I do (short of getting rid of the
    >> > lens) .
    >> >
    >> > Thanks.
    >> > -Steve

    >> No, it is not normal.... I check all my lenses from time to time just to
    >> see if something like this has happened.
    >> So far, they all do just fine.

    > Lucky you.
    >
    > Any advice for the OP?
    >
    > --
    > With or without religion, you would have good people doing
    > good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good
    > people to do evil things, that takes religion.
    >
    > Steven Weinberg

    Take it to a pawnshop. You buy a brand new one with a USA warranty for only
    a little bit more than the repair costs.
    Jim
    Jim, Feb 23, 2008
  7. Steve

    Tom Yost Guest

    On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 08:25:45 -0800 (PST), Steve <>
    wrote:

    >I recently purchased two used lenses from different sources, and just
    >received them in the mail (yea!). Both are nikon: 85mm and 50mm 1.8
    >lenses. However, when comparing images from the two, I'm noticing that
    >the 50 is consistenly 1 exp position underexposed. I can compensate in
    >the auto modes by bumping up the exposure, so I first thought this
    >might just be a meteringt thing. However, I just tried a comparison
    >shooting outdoor shots in full manual. For the same shutter speed
    >(1/60), f/8 ap on the 85 gave the same as f/5 for the 50mm. f/8 on the
    >50 was a LOT darker...
    >
    >Is this normal, and if not, what can I do (short of getting rid of the
    >lens) .
    >
    >Thanks.
    >-Steve

    There is not, by chance, a filter on the 50mm lens is there?
    Tom Yost, Feb 25, 2008