    no result.

    Can anyone help or advise?

    TIA Ian

    Ian, Oct 26, 2003

  2. Ian

    Harrison Guest

    Use Gspot to determine the proper codec for your file.
    http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

    Harrison, Oct 26, 2003

  3. Ian

    Malev Guest

    On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 09:51:31 -0500, Harrison <>
    wrote:

    >Use Gspot to determine the proper codec for your file.
    >http://www.headbands.com/gspot/

    A lot more helpful than what fuckwit Arata Varsehole wrote.

    Malev, Oct 26, 2003
  4. Ian

    Harrison Guest

    I didn't see that reply. Perhaps it was from one of the yahoos in my
    kill file.
    Anyway, hope it helps.

    Regards,
    Harrison

    Harrison, Oct 26, 2003
  5. Ian

    ilmc Guest

    It was the k-man (man?) morphing

    Harrison typed:

    ilmc, Oct 26, 2003
  6. Ian

    Liz Guest

    Liz, Oct 26, 2003
  7. Ian

    Richard Guest

    Ian wrote:

    > Using Windows Media Player (WMP)on a PIII 500Mhz PC, running Win 98SE.

    > I keep getting error messages when trying to view .avi files.

    > Tried easing up on internet security restrictions in control panel, no
    > use.

    > Also downloaded latest version (V9) of WMP, but still get error
    > message, 'Class not registered', whats that all about?

    > Have tried looking up all help files I can find on the subject, with
    > no result.

    > Can anyone help or advise?

    > TIA Ian

    WMPdoes not view AVI files by default. You should acquire a viewer that
    does.
    "Real media" does, along with Divx, but don't get the newest version because
    it is spam/spyware now.
    There are quite a few choices that are freeware which will play avi's and
    most of the codecs.
    "class not registered" is referring to the extension.
    In "tools/options" go to the "file types" tabs and see that "windows video
    file (avi)" is checked.
    If you still can't view it, chances are it is the codec as they continously
    add new ones.

    You could also use "virtual dub" to view it with. www.virtualdub.com

    Richard, Oct 26, 2003
  8. Ian

    web shawk Guest

    web shawk, Oct 27, 2003
  9. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Thanks to all, apart from the arsehole 'Varto', who obviously has a
    problem understanding english. I asked for advice, not criticism,
    dickhead.

    I implemented Liz and Ian's suggestions and got the problem sorted.

    Thanks again.

    IanC

    Ian, Oct 27, 2003
  10. Forget what everyone else said and do this:
    Go to alt.binaries.multimedia.d or alt.binaries.multimedia.erotica.d
    and ask the question of the experts who use this stuff all the time.
    What you need are called CODECs and you will also need other
    information as you go along so head to a newsgroup specifically
    designed for your needs. As you run into other formats they will have
    all your answers to these questions also

    Lookout

    Lookout&MsLookout, Nov 1, 2003
  11. Ian

    Phill Guest

    Try using windows media player to view avi. files. because this stands for
    something like audio/video/input. i hope it works. take care

    Phill, Nov 1, 2003
  12. Ian

    Krhis Guest

    Divx Codec: http://www.divx.com/
    --
    There are 10 types of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who don't.

    Krhis, Nov 1, 2003
  13. Ian

    gangle Guest

    Do yourself a favor and don't answer when you don't know
    what you are talking about. Most video players, including WMP,
    will play compressed avi files (audio video interleaving), but none
    will play the video if the codec used to compress the avi is not
    installed on the computer. Also, you responded to a post responding
    to the OP, instead of directly to the OP.

    "Phill" wrote

    gangle, Nov 2, 2003