    Cheers,

    Worm

    , Aug 1, 2006

  2. impossible Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > Looking for some advice on the integrated AC'97 audio chip on my
    > Microstar KM4M-V motherboard - I believe the audio chipset is
    > "VT1617".
    > I am running XP Professional 5.1.2600 SP 2.
    >
    > The error I am getting while trying to install the driver is
    > "Windows
    > cannot load the device for this hardware. The driver may be
    > corrupted
    > or missing. (Code 39)". I have tried the driver on the CD, as well
    > as
    > downloading a "fresh" one from the MSI website (and an online update
    > tool) - all to no avail.
    >
    > I note the install program for this driver notes DirectX 7.1 or
    > later
    > is required - I have just run the DirectX websetup program and it
    > only
    > downloaded some optional components. Still no go.
    >
    > If anyone has any ideas I'd be much appreciative..!

    Try ... Control Panel | System | Device Manager | Sound, video and
    game controllers... and then select AC'97 Audio.. right-click and
    select uninstall. Reboot and Windows should automatically find the
    hardware and re-install the correct driver. If everything's fine after
    that, then you can re-run the MSI update utility.

    impossible, Aug 1, 2006

  3. Guest

    > Try ... Control Panel | System | Device Manager | Sound, video and
    > game controllers... and then select AC'97 Audio.. right-click and
    > select uninstall. Reboot and Windows should automatically find the
    > hardware and re-install the correct driver. If everything's fine after
    > that, then you can re-run the MSI update utility.

    THanks for the suggestion - I've given this a go on various occasions.
    While it will see there's "new" hardware installed, after a 10-15
    second delay, it comes up with the error "there was a problem
    installing your hardware" etc.

    , Aug 1, 2006
  4. impossible Guest

    <> wrote in message

    >> Try ... Control Panel | System | Device Manager | Sound, video and
    >> game controllers... and then select AC'97 Audio.. right-click and
    >> select uninstall. Reboot and Windows should automatically find the
    >> hardware and re-install the correct driver. If everything's fine
    >> after
    >> that, then you can re-run the MSI update utility.

    > THanks for the suggestion - I've given this a go on various
    > occasions.
    > While it will see there's "new" hardware installed, after a 10-15
    > second delay, it comes up with the error "there was a problem
    > installing your hardware" etc.

    You may be trying to install the wrong driver for your motherboard.
    MSI specifies the KM4M-V as using the VT8237 chipset -- not the VT1617
    you mentioned in the OP. The driver for the VT8237 is probably
    included in the VIA 4in1 Drivers file. So you might want to again
    uninstall your current driver, and then run the 4in1 installation
    program.

    impossible, Aug 2, 2006
  5. TomC Guest

    impossible wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >>>Try ... Control Panel | System | Device Manager | Sound, video and
    >>>game controllers... and then select AC'97 Audio.. right-click and
    >>>select uninstall. Reboot and Windows should automatically find the
    >>>hardware and re-install the correct driver. If everything's fine
    >>>after
    >>>that, then you can re-run the MSI update utility.

    >>THanks for the suggestion - I've given this a go on various
    >>occasions.
    >>While it will see there's "new" hardware installed, after a 10-15
    >>second delay, it comes up with the error "there was a problem
    >>installing your hardware" etc.

    > You may be trying to install the wrong driver for your motherboard.
    > MSI specifies the KM4M-V as using the VT8237 chipset -- not the VT1617
    > you mentioned in the OP. The driver for the VT8237 is probably
    > included in the VIA 4in1 Drivers file. So you might want to again
    > uninstall your current driver, and then run the 4in1 installation
    > program.

    AC 97 is Realtek not VIA. Install the Realtek Audio 97
    driver...it is common as mud....type into google for driver download.

    cheers, Tom

    TomC, Aug 3, 2006