    Why can't it find read messages? I want the bodies of messages I've
    read downloaded PERMANENTLY. So easy back when I used Agent. Can't
    Thunderbird do the same?

    Jim, May 10, 2005

  2. Jim

    Doug G Guest

    Jim wrote:

    > I use Thunderbird as my newsgroups client. My regular newsgroups are
    > accessed and read generally twice a day.
    >
    > Then once in awhile I'll wish to review all received messages sorted to
    > a specific term. All of a sudden it seems the messages I dowloaded and
    > previously read are no longer recognized as Thunderbird searches for a
    > match.
    >
    > Why can't it find read messages? I want the bodies of messages I've
    > read downloaded PERMANENTLY. So easy back when I used Agent. Can't
    > Thunderbird do the same?

    To search a newsgroup's headers, select View > Threads > All before
    doing the search.

    If you want a newsgroup's message bodies on your hard drive, click File
    > Offline > Download/Sync Now and select the newsgroups you want to

    download. You can use the same menu to get messages you've flagged.

    Do you use a dialup or broadband connection?

    Doug G, May 11, 2005

  3. Jim

    Jim Guest

    Doug G wrote:

    > To search a newsgroup's headers, select View > Threads > All before
    > doing the search.
    >
    > If you want a newsgroup's message bodies on your hard drive, click File
    > > Offline > Download/Sync Now and select the newsgroups you want to

    > download. You can use the same menu to get messages you've flagged.
    >
    > Do you use a dialup or broadband connection?

    I use broadband. My routine has been using the Download/Sync all along
    with message retention set to keep all messages. That's why I'm puzzled
    as these messages were previously retrieved and read. Perhaps a glitch
    in how they are actually being stored.

    Jim, May 11, 2005
  4. Jim

    Moz Champion Guest

    Jim wrote:
    > Doug G wrote:
    >
    >> To search a newsgroup's headers, select View > Threads > All before
    >> doing the search.
    >>
    >> If you want a newsgroup's message bodies on your hard drive, click
    >> File > Offline > Download/Sync Now and select the newsgroups you want
    >> to download. You can use the same menu to get messages you've flagged.
    >>
    >> Do you use a dialup or broadband connection?

    > I use broadband. My routine has been using the Download/Sync all along
    > with message retention set to keep all messages. That's why I'm puzzled
    > as these messages were previously retrieved and read. Perhaps a glitch
    > in how they are actually being stored.

    No, the idea of downloading for offline use is not storing all
    messages, its simply a cache file updated every time you synch with the
    newsgroup.

    If you want to use the Search function on ONLY your downloaded messages,
    then go offline when doing so.

    The 'cache' copy of the newsgroup will be affected if you ever run into
    a cancel and choose the 'expire all' option, it will remove any
    messages not currently on the server.
    If you are really looking to archive the group, then archive it in
    another folder. As it is, the current folder is simply a 'cache' file
    for the newsgroup.

    Moz Champion, May 12, 2005