Problem trying to run mysqladmin flush-hosts

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by newbob, Jan 24, 2010.

  1. newbob

    newbob Guest

    Hello. I am experiencing a problem running mysqladmin flush-hosts in
    that whatever password I enter, I get the Access denied error. For
    example:

    [root@ourserver ~]# mysqladmin -p flush-hosts
    Enter password:
    mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
    error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password:
    YES)'

    Unfortunately our server manager passed away. I have root access but
    don't typically work on the server so I'm more than a bit in dark on
    some of this. We started getting this error at a couple of our sites
    (a phpBB discussion board, and a Movable Type blog):

    Connection error: Host 'localhost.localdomain' is blocked because of
    many connection errors. Unblock with 'mysqladmin flush-hosts'

    I also get this error when I attempt to connect to the databases via
    phpMyAdmin.

    Thus I am trying but keep receiving that Access denied error when
    running mysqladmin flush-hosts. I entered my root access password. I
    entered my MySQL database password. I don't know what else to do. Can
    someone give me a pointer on this?

    If it is of any help, I get this MySQL version info when I check for
    version:

    Ver 11.18 Distrib 3.23.58 for redhat-linux-gnu (i386)

    It's older, I know, but thus far has served our purpose over the years
    (just a discussion board and a few blogs).

    And the Linux info is:

    Linux ourserver.thecompany.com 2.6.9-1.667smp #1 SMP Tue Nov 2
    14:59:52 EST 2004 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

    (ourserver.thecompany.com is fictional for this note)

    Thank you.
    Bob

    newbob, Jan 24, 2010

  2. newbob

    meerkat Guest

    "newbob" <> wrote in message
    > Hello. I am experiencing a problem running mysqladmin flush-hosts in
    > that whatever password I enter, I get the Access denied error. For
    > example:
    >
    > [root@ourserver ~]# mysqladmin -p flush-hosts
    > Enter password:
    > mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
    > error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password:
    > YES)'
    >
    > Unfortunately our server manager passed away. I have root access but
    > don't typically work on the server so I'm more than a bit in dark on
    > some of this. We started getting this error at a couple of our sites
    > (a phpBB discussion board, and a Movable Type blog):

    Hi Bob sorry to hear about your server manager.

    I can only refer you to WWW.Google.com

    where you enter as a search term...mysqladmin flush-hosts,
    which returns 42,000 responses.

    bw..

    meerkat, Jan 24, 2010

  3. newbob

    why? Guest

    On Sun, 24 Jan 2010 11:26:41 -0800 (PST), newbob wrote:

    >Hello. I am experiencing a problem running mysqladmin flush-hosts in
    >that whatever password I enter, I get the Access denied error. For

    The 'whatever' password should be the MySQL root password :)

    >example:
    >
    >[root@ourserver ~]# mysqladmin -p flush-hosts
    >Enter password:
    >mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
    >error: 'Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using password:
    >YES)'

    Too many login attempts, even www.mysql.com should have been your 1st
    guess :) for such a specific question on a specific product.

    Don't know the version of MySQL you are running, try -
    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/

    Here is the 5.1 mnual page
    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/blocked-host.html
    B.5.2.6. Host 'host_name' is blocked

    If you get the following error, it means that mysqld has received many
    connect requests from the host 'host_name' that have been interrupted in
    the middle:

    By default, mysqld blocks a host after 10 connection errors. You can
    adjust the value by starting the server like this:

    Read the rest yourself.

    <snip>

    >If it is of any help, I get this MySQL version info when I check for
    >version:
    >
    >Ver 11.18 Distrib 3.23.58 for redhat-linux-gnu (i386)

    The 2nd link has this, 3.23 Manual link.
    Old version admin
    http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/4.1/en/server-administration.html

    <snip>

    Me