    continues,please contact Microsoft.

    Anybody familiar with this could recommend a proper fix?Thanks for your
    help!

    cd69, Oct 16, 2007

  2. cd69

    chuckie® Guest

    Pretty sure that I've heard that symantec.com has their own removal
    tool/program on their website, you might want to check there...luck...

    "cd69" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there!
    >
    > I'm using XP Pro,and I'm trying to remove Norton SystemWorks which doesn't
    > come with an uninstall file so I tried removing it through the Control

    Panel
    > add/remove programs.But when I try removing it,I get a Set Up Error
    > message:Set up was unable to update the MSI system component.If the

    problem

    chuckie®, Oct 16, 2007

  3. cd69

    cd69 Guest

    Thanks for your reply!I will give it a shot but I wonder why I got this
    message when using the Control Panel Add/Remove feature.First time this
    happens.

    cd69, Oct 16, 2007
  4. cd69

    Tester Guest

    On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 01:10:16 GMT, "cd69" <> wrote:

    >Hi there!
    >
    >I'm using XP Pro,and I'm trying to remove Norton SystemWorks which doesn't
    >come with an uninstall file so I tried removing it through the Control Panel
    >add/remove programs.But when I try removing it,I get a Set Up Error
    >message:Set up was unable to update the MSI system component.If the problem
    >continues,please contact Microsoft.
    >
    >Anybody familiar with this could recommend a proper fix?Thanks for your
    >help!

    http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039

    Download and run the Norton Removal Tool

    Tester, Oct 16, 2007
  5. cd69

    cd69 Guest

    Thank you!I did and now I have even bigger problems as now I'm having a
    problem with the MSI file.Symantec got me to run a command script to remove
    the old one and reinstall the new one but now it states when I try to
    reinstall that what I'm trying to install is older than what I currently
    have.I was trying to uninstall Norton Systemworks 2006 as I have now
    2007.But now it won't let me install it as I'm missing my MSI file.I'm going
    through a loop and it is rather frustrating.First time in like 5 years of
    using Norton products that I have such a problem.

    cd69, Oct 16, 2007

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

    Terrence Quinn, Oct 16, 2007
  7. cd69

    Alfred Guest

    On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 06:24:15 GMT, "cd69" <> wrote:

    >Thank you!I did and now I have even bigger problems as now I'm having a
    >problem with the MSI file.Symantec got me to run a command script to remove
    >the old one and reinstall the new one but now it states when I try to
    >reinstall that what I'm trying to install is older than what I currently
    >have.I was trying to uninstall Norton Systemworks 2006 as I have now
    >2007.But now it won't let me install it as I'm missing my MSI file.I'm going
    >through a loop and it is rather frustrating.First time in like 5 years of
    >using Norton products that I have such a problem.

    Last time I had this problem with Norton I finished up deleting all
    their files in the program files folder. Then I used a registry
    cleaner to do a rough clean of the registry. Then I opened regedit and
    hunted for any remaining references to Norton or symantec and removed
    them. Then I reinstalled what I needed. It worked for me but may just
    screw up your system.

    Alfred, Oct 16, 2007
  8. cd69

    chuckie® Guest

    Mostly because Symantec makes very invasive programs. That is, they seem to
    integrate themselves into places where they have no business, very much like
    AOL. For that reason, and the fact that you have to continually pay for
    their 'service', I won't use Norton or anything else that they sell. I
    prefer free AV programs, such as Avast, which work just as well and are
    trully free...luck...

    chuckie®, Oct 16, 2007
  9. cd69

    cd69 Guest

    Thanks for bringing this up but I had already tried this one.I'm able to
    download it but can't run it.I get an error unable to process???It seems
    like I'm having a registry problem but not sure.I have no idea what to do
    anymore as all end up happening is I'm going through a loop.

    cd69, Oct 16, 2007
  10. cd69

    cd69 Guest

    Well,it looks like something is screwed up as Norton was uninstalled using
    their utility.But I used their process to remove the old MSI info as I was
    getting MSI error messages when trying to install the more recent version
    and now nothing seems to work,including the "fix" from Microsoft.Thanks for
    your post!

    cd69, Oct 16, 2007
  11. cd69

    cd69 Guest

    I never had such a problem before in over 5 years of using them and I use
    Norton with Ad Aware and The Cleaner and it has done a good job for me.I
    can's say the same for free programs and my research showed many other
    people were feeling the same.I just feel safer with Norton but others feel
    the same as you.Oh well!

    cd69, Oct 16, 2007