    change to layer 3 ?

    have searched cisco website and no joy

    thanks
    Shera, Nov 23, 2006

  2. Shera

    Guest

    Shera wrote:
    > I am trying to perform a configuration change an 877 router running
    > 12.4 IOS version
    >
    > Have tried every variant of the "No switchport " command to change to
    > layer 3 but still when i try to configure ip address on the fast
    > ethernet port _ i get the error
    >
    > % IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links
    >
    > My question is this _ are there any other commands necessary on 12.4 to
    > change to layer 3 ?
    >
    > have searched cisco website and no joy

    You can't.

    870 (and 830) have a 5 port Layer 2 switch (802.1d bridge strictly)

    connected to the back of a normal Cisco Router.

    If you have the expensive software you can configure more than
    one VLAN.

    In that case you can put each port in a seperate VLAN
    and create an SVI for each one.

    vlan database
    vlan 10 ! <-- cant have zero so use 10
    vlan 2
    vlan 3
    exit

    conf t
    int fa 0
    switchport access vlan 10 ! <-- at a guess

    int vlan 10
    ip address x.x.x.x.x.

    int fa 1
    switchport access vlan 10 ! <-- at a guess

    int vlan 11
    ip address x.x.x.x.x.

    int fa 2
    switchport access vlan 2 ! <-- at a guess

    int vlan 2
    ip address x.x.x.x.x.

    int fa 3
    switchport access vlan 10 ! <-- at a guess

    int vlan 3
    ip address x.x.x.x.x.

    There you go.
    , Nov 23, 2006

  3. Shera

    Guest

    wrote:
    > Shera wrote:
    > > I am trying to perform a configuration change an 877 router running
    > > 12.4 IOS version
    > >
    > > Have tried every variant of the "No switchport " command to change to
    > > layer 3 but still when i try to configure ip address on the fast
    > > ethernet port _ i get the error
    > >
    > > % IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links
    > >
    > > My question is this _ are there any other commands necessary on 12.4 to
    > > change to layer 3 ?
    > >
    > > have searched cisco website and no joy

    > You can't.
    >
    > 870 (and 830) have a 5 port Layer 2 switch (802.1d bridge strictly)
    >
    > connected to the back of a normal Cisco Router.
    >
    > If you have the expensive software you can configure more than
    > one VLAN.
    >
    > In that case you can put each port in a seperate VLAN
    > and create an SVI for each one.

    Many typo's - try again -

    vlan database
    vlan 10 ! <-- cant have zero so use 10
    vlan 2
    vlan 3
    exit

    conf t

    int fa 0
    switchport access vlan 10 ! <-- at a guess
    int vlan 10
    ip address x.x.x.x.x.

    int fa 1
    switchport access vlan 10 ! <-- at a guess
    int vlan 1
    ip address x.x.x.x.x.

    int fa 2
    switchport access vlan 2 ! <-- at a guess
    int vlan 2
    ip address x.x.x.x.x.

    int fa 3
    switchport access vlan 3 ! <-- at a guess
    int vlan 3
    ip address x.x.x.x.x.

    Douglas.
    , Nov 23, 2006