Problem setting up XP-64 on ASUS M2N-E and X1800XT

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?Sm9zZXBo?=, Sep 10, 2006.

  1. System Configuration:

    Motherboard: ASUS M2N-E (NVIDIA nForce® 570 Ultra™ MCP)
    Motherboard BIOS: 0304 (Aug 18, 2006)
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Manchester 2.4GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket 939
    Dual Core
    RAM: OCz 2x1GB PC6400 (800 MHz) DDR2
    Video Card: Sapphire X1800XT 256MB
    Hard Disks: 2x250GB Seagate SATA-II in Raid 0 Configuration
    CD/DVD writer (Samsung) attached to IDE connector
    Floppy Drive connected to FDD connector
    6-in-1 drive connected to internal USB1 connector

    The only modifications to BIOS default settings were setting date/time, RAID
    for SATA-1 and SATA-2 connectors, enabling the system, CPU, and PowerSupply
    fans,and changing boot priority to Floppy, CD, then Hard Drive.

    I downloaded the 64 bit RAID driver from the ASUS web site to a floppy,
    booted from the Windows XP-64 CD, and started XP-64 setup. I pressed F6, and
    was prompted for a floppy, I inserted the floppy and specified the two
    required drivers to enable RAID. XP continued the setup process, stopping
    every once in a while to complain about not being able to read some file off
    the CD, asking me to hit return to retry, and everytime I did, it continued
    copying, and when all the files were copied, I was asked to re-insert the
    floppy with the RAID driver, I did, and after the file was copy, there was
    some XP setup activity, and then a blue screen. I re-attempted setup, and the
    blue screen returned.

    Any ideas?

    --thx, Joseph

    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9zZXBo?=, Sep 10, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9zZXBo?=

    Nut Cracker Guest

    "Joseph" <> wrote in message
    > System Configuration:
    >
    > Motherboard: ASUS M2N-E (NVIDIA nForce® 570 UltraT MCP)
    > Motherboard BIOS: 0304 (Aug 18, 2006)
    > CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ Manchester 2.4GHz 2 x 512KB L2 Cache Socket
    > 939
    > Dual Core
    > RAM: OCz 2x1GB PC6400 (800 MHz) DDR2
    > Video Card: Sapphire X1800XT 256MB
    > Hard Disks: 2x250GB Seagate SATA-II in Raid 0 Configuration
    > CD/DVD writer (Samsung) attached to IDE connector
    > Floppy Drive connected to FDD connector
    > 6-in-1 drive connected to internal USB1 connector
    >
    > The only modifications to BIOS default settings were setting date/time,
    > RAID
    > for SATA-1 and SATA-2 connectors, enabling the system, CPU, and
    > PowerSupply
    > fans,and changing boot priority to Floppy, CD, then Hard Drive.
    >
    > I downloaded the 64 bit RAID driver from the ASUS web site to a floppy,
    > booted from the Windows XP-64 CD, and started XP-64 setup. I pressed F6,
    > and
    > was prompted for a floppy, I inserted the floppy and specified the two
    > required drivers to enable RAID. XP continued the setup process, stopping
    > every once in a while to complain about not being able to read some file
    > off
    > the CD, asking me to hit return to retry, and everytime I did, it
    > continued
    > copying, and when all the files were copied, I was asked to re-insert the
    > floppy with the RAID driver, I did, and after the file was copy, there was
    > some XP setup activity, and then a blue screen. I re-attempted setup, and
    > the
    > blue screen returned.
    >
    > Any ideas?
    >
    > --thx, Joseph

    this response is not x64 specific, but speaks more towards doing XP installs
    with SATA raid controllers.

    It has been my experience with vendors such as SiL and SIIG, that the
    documentations says that setups will fail if you try to load windows onto a
    raid set. What they suggest you do is have 1 disk in the system, and install
    to it. then, when installation is finished, add the second drive and setup
    the raid set. Obviously, this would be for a mirror set since the two disks
    would be identical to eachother. All vendor documentation i have seen
    cautions against installing your OS on a stripe set.

    My next comment is to caution you against using a Raid 0 stripe set for your
    OS. In 3 words ... DONT DO IT. If you want 500GB of disk space for file
    storage, or the perfromance gain by using R0, then add a 3rd disk to the
    system, which should not be part of a raid set, and install windows there.
    There is no earthly reason to have your OS on a non-fault-tolerant stripe.
    Just use a single disk, since a disk failure will take your system down,
    regarldless if its one disk, or multiple disks in a R0 set.

    Also be certain that your driver works for the SATA chipset in 3.0Gbps mode,
    and not just 1.5Gbps mode.

    hope this helps ..

    - NuTs

    Nut Cracker, Sep 10, 2006

  3. This sounds a lot like a bad burn. There is no reason it should complain
    about missing files on a good CD with a clean burn and properly seated
    cables. It could also be a RAM problem, or problems with the DVD drive
    itself.

    I would strongly urge you NOT to run in RAID 0. You increase your risk of
    catastrophic failure, and total data loss.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 10, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?Sm9zZXBo?=

    Nut Cracker Guest

    I have seen this problem with 2000, XP, and 2003 when there is a read-ahead
    option set in the bios. When I turn that off, the setup proceeds without
    issue.

    - NuTs

    Nut Cracker, Sep 10, 2006