    I'm beginning to think I've really messed this thing up completely.
    Please help me figure this out? I would really appreciate it. Thanks and I
    do apologize if I am asking something that has already been asked.
    =?Utf-8?B?RGFuZGVl?=, Nov 12, 2004

  2. =?Utf-8?B?RGFuZGVl?=

    Jack Guest

    Hi
    Linksys should work well with LAN.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    "Dandee" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I admit that I am a complete newbie idiot when it comes to setting up this
    > network. I have a Cicero AMD 64 Athalon computer with XP Home edition
    > preinstalled...I tired to install service pack two but that is another

    whole
    > issue in itself.
    > I have installed a Linksys Wireless-G PCI Adapter with speedbooster model
    > WMp54GS in my son's pentium III computer which is running Windows XP
    > professional.
    > The two computers can access the internet. But I cannot configure them
    > (probably my "newbieness" at work) to talk to each other which is what we
    > wanted in the first place...apparently Linksys doesn't support lans...I

    was
    > told that if they were connecting to the internet that's all they

    supported.
    Jack, Nov 12, 2004

  3. Re: Problem setting up Local Area Net work with Linksys wireless G

    Thank you for your response Jack. I have tried their suggestions and I'm
    still getting nowhere fast. Is there a site or a FAQs that could lead me step
    by step through the process? Is there some kind of diagnostic tool that I can
    use?

    Another quick question - should there be a wireless networking adapter
    "wizard" in XP? in my network connections that would configure this properly?

    Is it possible my registry or drivers are some how "trashed"?
    Thanks
    =?Utf-8?B?RGFuZGVl?=, Nov 12, 2004
  4. Re: Problem setting up Local Area Net work with Linksys wireless G

    How to set up your computer for wireless networking in Windows XP
    Article ID : 314897
    Last Review : November 5, 2004
    Revision : 1.0

    IN THIS TASK
    . SUMMARY . Requirements
    . Set up your computer for wireless networking . Install the
    wireless adapter

    . Connect to the network . Install a wireless access point
    manually

    . Roam to another network

    SUMMARY
    This step-by-step article describes how to use the automatic wireless
    network configuration feature in Windows XP to set up your computer for
    wireless networking. You can use Windows XP to set up your computer for
    wireless networking on any 802.11b standard wireless network.

    back to the top
    Requirements
    The information in this article applies to 802.11b wireless adapters.

    back to the top
    Set up your computer for wireless networking
    Wireless networking is integrated into Windows XP. You can use Windows XP
    automatic networking Setup to quickly set up a wireless network. You must
    have a 802.11b wireless adapter installed on the portable computer and you
    must have access to a 802.11b standard wireless network.

    back to the top
    Install the wireless adapter
    To install the wireless adapter: 1. Insert the 802.11b wireless adapter into
    the portable computer PCMCIA slot.

    The Automatic Wireless Configuration wizard starts.
    2. Follow the steps in the Automatic Wireless Configuration wizard.
    After the wizard finishes, your computer is ready to connect to the network.

    back to the top
    Connect to the network
    Windows XP automatically polls the area for available wireless access
    points. If one is present, Windows XP tries to connect to it. Sometimes, you
    find that even though there is a wireless network in the area, Windows XP
    cannot recognize it. If this situation occurs, you must manually add the
    wireless access point.

    back to the top
    Install a wireless access point manually
    1. Click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    2. Double-click Network Connections.
    3. Right-click Wireless Network Connection, and then click Properties.
    4. Click the Wireless Networks tab.

    A list of wireless access points appears in the Available networks
    box.
    5. Under Preferred networks, click Add.
    6. In the Network Name (SSID) box, type the name of the access point
    and select the appropriate check boxes, according to your network
    requirements.

    You may have to ask the LAN administrators for specific settings. If
    you are on a domain, you may have to request client certificates.
    7. Click OK.
    After you add the new access point, you can connect to the new network.

    back to the top
    Roam to another network
    When you bring your portable computer into another wireless network area,
    Windows XP automatically tries to connect to that network. If Windows XP
    does not recognize the new network, follow the instructions in this article
    to manually install the wireless network.

    back to the top

    Robert Jacobs, Jan 9, 2005