    think of is that it is an ASUS K8V-MX motherboard. Manual says that it
    supports upto 8 usb ports.
    Thanks
    Dalziel, Aug 30, 2010

  2. Dalziel

    Dalziel Guest

    On Aug 30, 4:14 pm, Grinder <> wrote:
    > On 8/30/2010 3:37 AM, Dalziel wrote:
    >
    > > Hi

    > > Just bought a 1Tb hitachi ext HD drive with a usb connection. I cannot
    > > get Win 7 to recognise this drive.
    > > Have googled for a solution but to no avail. It can't be jumper
    > > settings as it is usb. Any ideas as to what I can try to force it to
    > > recognise the drive would be appreciated. The only other thing I can
    > > think of is that it is an ASUS K8V-MX motherboard. Manual says that it
    > > supports upto 8 usb ports.
    > > Thanks

    > Is it externally powered?  Just getting power from the USB port can be a
    > little flakey.

    Hi to Philo and Grinder,
    Thanks for the response. The USB drive is externally powered. But when
    plugged in the computer freezes and cant be switched off except at the
    mains.
    Totally baffled.
    Dalziel, Aug 30, 2010

  3. Dalziel

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 08:32:10 -0700, Dalziel wrote:

    > On Aug 30, 4:14 pm, Grinder <> wrote:
    >> On 8/30/2010 3:37 AM, Dalziel wrote:
    >>
    >> > Hi

    >> > Just bought a 1Tb hitachi ext HD drive with a usb connection. I
    >> > cannot get Win 7 to recognise this drive.
    >> > Have googled for a solution but to no avail. It can't be jumper
    >> > settings as it is usb. Any ideas as to what I can try to force it to
    >> > recognise the drive would be appreciated. The only other thing I can
    >> > think of is that it is an ASUS K8V-MX motherboard. Manual says that
    >> > it supports upto 8 usb ports.
    >> > Thanks

    >> Is it externally powered?  Just getting power from the USB port can be
    >> a little flakey.

    > Hi to Philo and Grinder,
    > Thanks for the response. The USB drive is externally powered. But when
    > plugged in the computer freezes and cant be switched off except at the
    > mains.
    > Totally baffled.

    Plug it into another PC?

    Meat Plow, Aug 30, 2010
  4. Dalziel

    Dalziel Guest

    On Aug 30, 5:30 pm, Meat Plow <> wrote:
    > On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 08:32:10 -0700, Dalziel wrote:

    > >> Is it externally powered?  Just getting power from the USB port can be
    > >> a little flakey.

    > > Hi to Philo and Grinder,
    > > Thanks for the response. The USB drive is externally powered. But when
    > > plugged in the computer freezes and cant be switched off except at the
    > > mains.
    > > Totally baffled.

    > Plug it into another PC?
    >
    > --
    > Live Fast, Die Young and Leave a Pretty Corpse

    Yes it has worked for other usb devices including an ext IDE HD. The
    device also works on other computers.
    So nothing wrong with the device itself. It appears that it cant cope
    with a SATA II ext HD 9even though it is usb connection).
    It wouldn't work with an internal SATA II either. MoBo is SATA
    compatable.
    Dalziel, Aug 30, 2010
  5. Dalziel

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 09:49:41 -0700, Dalziel wrote:

    > On Aug 30, 5:30 pm, Meat Plow <> wrote:

    >> > Hi to Philo and Grinder,
    >> > Thanks for the response. The USB drive is externally powered. But
    >> > when plugged in the computer freezes and cant be switched off except
    >> > at the mains.
    >> > Totally baffled.

    >> Plug it into another PC?
    >>
    >> --
    >> Live Fast, Die Young and Leave a Pretty Corpse

    > Yes it has worked for other usb devices including an ext IDE HD. The
    > device also works on other computers. So nothing wrong with the device
    > itself. It appears that it cant cope with a SATA II ext HD 9even though
    > it is usb connection). It wouldn't work with an internal SATA II either.
    > MoBo is SATA compatable.

    The SATA2 to USB controller is what the operating system sees. This is
    built into the external case. I run SATA2 in Win 7 and linux with no
    problems. Don't know what the solution is but you've got an underlying
    issue with the operating system and probably not the hardware.

    Meat Plow, Aug 30, 2010
  6. Dalziel

    Guest

    Dalziel <> wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >Just bought a 1Tb hitachi ext HD drive with a usb connection. I cannot
    >get Win 7 to recognise this drive.
    >Have googled for a solution but to no avail. It can't be jumper
    >settings as it is usb. Any ideas as to what I can try to force it to
    >recognise the drive would be appreciated. The only other thing I can
    >think of is that it is an ASUS K8V-MX motherboard. Manual says that it
    >supports upto 8 usb ports.

    Something I've found very useful is to read reviews. Someone has had your
    problem. Reviews will let these people explain how to rectify the problem or
    if it's just the HDD itself.

    My "Google" of computer equipment is Newegg.com
    Google: 1TB hitachi ext HDD drive usb connection site:newegg.com

    Also check out Amazon.com, Froogle.com ...

    Be a lot easier to use your model number.
    --

    abandoned places
    http://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008/02/abandoned-places.html
  7. Dalziel

    Dalziel Guest

    On Aug 31, 5:06 am, wrote:
    >  Dalziel <> wrote:
    > >Hi

    > >Just bought a 1Tb hitachi ext HD drive with a usb connection. I cannot
    > >get Win 7 to recognise this drive.
    > >Have googled for a solution but to no avail. It can't be jumper
    > >settings as it is usb. Any ideas as to what I can try to force it to
    > >recognise the drive would be appreciated. The only other thing I can
    > >think of is that it is an ASUS K8V-MX motherboard. Manual says that it
    > >supports upto 8 usb ports.

    > Something I've found very useful is to read reviews. Someone has had your
    > problem. Reviews will let these people explain how to rectify the problem or
    > if it's just the HDD itself.
    >
    > My "Google" of computer equipment is Newegg.com
    > Google: 1TB hitachi ext HDD drive usb connection site:newegg.com
    >
    > Also check out Amazon.com, Froogle.com ...
    >
    > Be a lot easier to use your model number.
    > --
    >
    > abandoned placeshttp://www.darkroastedblend.com/2008/02/abandoned-places.html

    The link you sent for newegg.com showed the same drive I have. But
    after googling for reviews and forums still no solution. I suspect it
    is windows 7 myself and will try to figure it out from that angle
    rather than a hardware problem.
    Thanks for your help. Much appreciated.
    Dalziel, Aug 31, 2010
  8. Dalziel

    chuckcar Guest

    Dalziel <> wrote in

    > Hi
    >
    > Just bought a 1Tb hitachi ext HD drive with a usb connection. I cannot
    > get Win 7 to recognise this drive.
    > Have googled for a solution but to no avail. It can't be jumper
    > settings as it is usb. Any ideas as to what I can try to force it to
    > recognise the drive would be appreciated. The only other thing I can
    > think of is that it is an ASUS K8V-MX motherboard. Manual says that it
    > supports upto 8 usb ports.
    > Thanks

    without having the drive connected (that at least should be easy),
    uninstall *any* software that came with it, reboot, install *only* the
    drivers for the caddy itself and reboot. Then try plugging in the caddy.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Aug 31, 2010
  9. Dalziel

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 21:24:54 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > Dalziel <> wrote in
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Just bought a 1Tb hitachi ext HD drive with a usb connection. I cannot
    >> get Win 7 to recognise this drive.
    >> Have googled for a solution but to no avail. It can't be jumper
    >> settings as it is usb. Any ideas as to what I can try to force it to
    >> recognise the drive would be appreciated. The only other thing I can
    >> think of is that it is an ASUS K8V-MX motherboard. Manual says that it
    >> supports upto 8 usb ports.
    >> Thanks

    > without having the drive connected (that at least should be easy),
    > uninstall *any* software that came with it, reboot, install *only* the
    > drivers for the caddy itself and reboot. Then try plugging in the caddy.

    It's a USB2 drive, no additional drivers needed chucktard. I have an
    external eSATA drive with a 1TB WD SATA2 drive in it. I have no problems
    in Win7 if I use the USB port on it. The case is an Antec has eSATA and
    USB2 ports. This dude has some oddball conflict with his OS if he gets a
    hard lock when he plugs in that drive.

    Meat Plow, Aug 31, 2010
  10. Dalziel

    chuckcar Guest

    Meat Plow <> wrote in

    > On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 21:24:54 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> Dalziel <> wrote in
    >> :
    >>
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> Just bought a 1Tb hitachi ext HD drive with a usb connection. I
    >>> cannot get Win 7 to recognise this drive.
    >>> Have googled for a solution but to no avail. It can't be jumper
    >>> settings as it is usb. Any ideas as to what I can try to force it to
    >>> recognise the drive would be appreciated. The only other thing I can
    >>> think of is that it is an ASUS K8V-MX motherboard. Manual says that
    >>> it supports upto 8 usb ports.
    >>> Thanks

    >> without having the drive connected (that at least should be easy),
    >> uninstall *any* software that came with it, reboot, install *only*
    >> the drivers for the caddy itself and reboot. Then try plugging in the
    >> caddy.

    > > It's a USB2 drive, no additional drivers needed. I have an

    > external eSATA drive with a 1TB WD SATA2 drive in it. I have no
    > problems in Win7 if I use the USB port on it. The case is an Antec has
    > eSATA and USB2 ports.

    It goes on a USB port. Drivers are needed period. If the OP didn't
    install anything, I'd frankly be shocked and the drivers wouldn't be
    corrupted anyways - because they hadn't been used before.

    Drivers are need for devices that plug into rs232 connectors. And don't
    say there isn't any, I know plenty of diabetics that would call you a liar.

    >This dude has some oddball conflict with his OS
    > if he gets a hard lock when he plugs in that drive.

    It's called a corrupted driver. Nothing else is required.

    That's an assumption on your part without anything to justify it.
    Sure it *may* happen that the caddy itself is toast - it can happen
    that way with other USB hardware, but it's by no means proven in
    any way.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 1, 2010
  11. Dalziel

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Tue, 31 Aug 2010 23:09:07 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    >> > It's a USB2 drive, no additional drivers needed. I have an

    >> external eSATA drive with a 1TB WD SATA2 drive in it. I have no
    >> problems in Win7 if I use the USB port on it. The case is an Antec has
    >> eSATA and USB2 ports.

    > It goes on a USB port. Drivers are needed period.

    I said "no additional drivers" were needed. You told the OP to install
    drivers for the caddy. The caddy doesn't need any third party drivers you
    moron. How many driver disks has Win 7 asked you for an external USB
    drive lately?

    Meat Plow, Sep 1, 2010
  12. Dalziel

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 21:14:13 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > Meat Plow <> wrote in

    >>> It goes on a USB port. Drivers are needed period.

    >> I said "no additional drivers" were needed. You told the OP to install
    >> drivers for the caddy. The caddy doesn't need any third party drivers
    >> you moron. How many driver disks has Win 7 asked you for an external
    >> USB drive lately?
    >>

    > Can't you read? I *told* the OP to *uninstall* the software and reboot.

    Oh ok. Uninstall the USB2 software drivers. Just how does one uninstall
    USB2 support software for an external USB2 drive? I guess I'm just not
    following your logic here.

    Meat Plow, Sep 1, 2010
  13. Dalziel

    chuckcar Guest

    Meat Plow <> wrote in

    chuckcar, Sep 1, 2010
  14. Dalziel

    chuckcar Guest

    Meat Plow <> wrote in

    > On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 21:14:13 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
    >
    >> Meat Plow <> wrote in

    >>> I said "no additional drivers" were needed. You told the OP to install
    >>> drivers for the caddy. The caddy doesn't need any third party drivers
    >>> you moron. How many driver disks has Win 7 asked you for an external
    >>> USB drive lately?
    >>>

    >> Can't you read? I *told* the OP to *uninstall* the software and reboot.

    > Oh ok. Uninstall the USB2 software drivers. Just how does one uninstall
    > USB2 support software for an external USB2 drive? I guess I'm just not
    > following your logic here.

    Just read my first reply again. Properly this time.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Sep 1, 2010
  15. Dalziel

    Meat Plow Guest

    On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 22:44:25 +0000, chuckcar wrote:

    > Meat Plow <> wrote in
    >
    >> On Wed, 01 Sep 2010 21:14:13 +0000, chuckcar wrote:
    >>
    >>> Meat Plow <> wrote in

    >>> Can't you read? I *told* the OP to *uninstall* the software and
    >>> reboot.

    >> Oh ok. Uninstall the USB2 software drivers. Just how does one uninstall
    >> USB2 support software for an external USB2 drive? I guess I'm just not
    >> following your logic here.
    >>

    > Just read my first reply again. Properly this time.

    I read it, moron. Find someone less intelligent (if that's possible) than
    you to troll.

    Meat Plow, Sep 2, 2010