    the W2k machine.

    Thanks
    Mike

    MikeM, Jul 20, 2006

  2. MikeM

    Guest

    On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 01:14:33 GMT, MikeM <>
    wrote:

    >I now have a new problem with my backup DVDs. The combo burner on my
    >XP machine can't read an Imation DVD-R. I get the error message the
    >disk is corrupt of an unknown format. The burner on my W2k machins
    >reads it correctly, and the images display correctly. Both burners use
    >+ & - DVDs. Also CDSpeed shows red for this disk on my XP machine. So
    >far the problem has shown up with any other brands of disk, + or -.
    >CDspeed also show parts of another Imation DVD-R disk as bad, but as
    >far as I can tell there doesn't seem to be a problem on the burner on
    >the W2k machine.
    >
    >Thanks
    >Mike

    I just returned a 50 pack of Imation DVD-R because the were "invalid"
    when Nero tried to burn to them.

    , Jul 20, 2006

  3. MikeM

    MikeM Guest

    Since my original post I have been scanning disks with CDspeed and
    TDK, Imation, Verbatim, Sony & Mitsubishi DVD +/- RWs have been 100 %
    green, but TDK & Imation DVD+/-Rs have bad patches. I haven't used
    CDspeed before, does it have a problem with DVD+/-Rs? All the damaged
    photos I have were loaded were on DVD Rs. I thought DVD Rs were the
    more reliable for back ups.

    Mike

    MikeM, Jul 20, 2006
  4. MikeM

    Don Guest

    MikeM <> wrote in

    > Since my original post I have been scanning disks with CDspeed and
    > TDK, Imation, Verbatim, Sony & Mitsubishi DVD +/- RWs have been 100 %
    > green, but TDK & Imation DVD+/-Rs have bad patches. I haven't used
    > CDspeed before, does it have a problem with DVD+/-Rs? All the damaged
    > photos I have were loaded were on DVD Rs. I thought DVD Rs were the
    > more reliable for back ups.
    >
    > Mike
    >
    > On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 01:14:33 GMT, MikeM <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I now have a new problem with my backup DVDs. The combo burner on my
    >>XP machine can't read an Imation DVD-R. I get the error message the
    >>disk is corrupt of an unknown format. The burner on my W2k machins
    >>reads it correctly, and the images display correctly. Both burners use
    >>+ & - DVDs. Also CDSpeed shows red for this disk on my XP machine. So
    >>far the problem has shown up with any other brands of disk, + or -.
    >>CDspeed also show parts of another Imation DVD-R disk as bad, but as
    >>far as I can tell there doesn't seem to be a problem on the burner on
    >>the W2k machine.
    >>
    >>Thanks
    >>Mike

    Mike,
    I don't believe your problem is with the Imitation brand DVD's.
    I've had similar problems with HP's.

    The resolution for me was in becoming aware of how DVD-burners leave the
    data. The reason that 16X DVD's work on commercial products are that the
    DVD is "pressed" as oppsosed to burned:
    Here' an explanation:
    http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?s=3b214f5bb30122a21a611ec95195fae2
    &t=94536

    The fix is to burn the DVD at a speed of 8X or slower and it will read
    fine on your combo reader.

    Don, Jul 20, 2006
  5. MikeM

    MikeM Guest

    The worst affected disks were 4X and 8X. Why are DVD RWs of the same
    speeds not affected?

    Mike

    MikeM, Jul 21, 2006
  6. MikeM wrote:

    > I now have a new problem with my backup DVDs. The combo burner on my
    > XP machine can't read an Imation DVD-R. I get the error message the
    > disk is corrupt of an unknown format. The burner on my W2k machins
    > reads it correctly, and the images display correctly. Both burners use
    > + & - DVDs. Also CDSpeed shows red for this disk on my XP machine. So
    > far the problem has shown up with any other brands of disk, + or -.
    > CDspeed also show parts of another Imation DVD-R disk as bad, but as
    > far as I can tell there doesn't seem to be a problem on the burner on
    > the W2k machine.
    >
    > Thanks
    > Mike

    1) Burn your DVD at 4x and no faster.
    2) Backup your images to gold CDs, such as Delkin. for longevity.
    Morton

    Morton Linder, Jul 21, 2006
  7. MikeM

    Neil Maxwell Guest

    On Thu, 20 Jul 2006 21:43:41 -0400, Morton Linder <>
    wrote:

    >1) Burn your DVD at 4x and no faster.
    >2) Backup your images to gold CDs, such as Delkin. for longevity.

    I would expand on this a bit, based on a good bit of experience with
    optical media lifetimes:

    - Burn your disks at 1/2 the rated burner or media speed, whichever is
    lower.

    - Always do a compare after the burn.

    - Don't buy by brand name. Any given brand uses the cheapest supplier
    who meets their spec, and the OEM can and will change from one spindle
    to the next. This often means changes in the dye layer, reflective
    layer, etc. This month's Verbatims may have been made by a different
    OEM than last month's Verbatims.

    - Buy Taiyo Yuden blanks, available from www.rima.com or
    www.meritline.com, as well as others. They're an OEM, have a very
    good reputation, and have been less likely to fail with age in my
    experience. No disk is permanent, though.

    - For troubleshooting, I always label my burned disks with the burn
    date, burn speed and whether verified, burner model, and blank OEM.

    When I try a new brand or spindle, I'll burn a few less important
    disks at full speed with a post-burn compare. This is how I found out
    the Riteks I accidentally bought had a 20% failure rate at 8x. They
    were fine at 4x, but I didn't use them for anything important.

    For long term archiving:

    - Back up important data to more than one disk. I keep everything
    important on a hard disk, back that up to another disk, and copy the
    backups to DVD now and again. Avoid the risk that a single failure
    will wipe out your data.

    - Recopy archive disks every now and then to refresh them.

    Remember that there is absolutely no data that says any given
    writeable DVD will last any more than 5 years, and there are many
    examples of them failing within 2.

    FWIW, I used to use Kodak Gold CDRs, back in the day, as well as
    Mitsui, and they all failed within 5 years. TY has been the most
    reliable brand of CDR I've used.

    Neil Maxwell, Jul 21, 2006
  8. MikeM

    MikeM Guest

    I have just scanned the "safe" disks of my UK/Europe trip photos that
    I doubt I will ever get a chance to replace and found every DVD R disk
    had bad sectors on it. Luckily the DVD RW disks that I was using as
    temporary backup at the same time are all 100 % ok. From what I've
    read on the group I seem to be unique in having RWs outlasting Rs.

    Mike

    MikeM, Jul 25, 2006