    I'd really like to rescue these pics if possible. They're family holiday
    pictures that can't be replaced. Any ideas?

    Leigh
    LeighMo, Jan 17, 2004

  2. LeighMo

    Larry Guest

    In article <>,
    tose says...
    > I've got a Sony Mavica CD-300. The kind of camera that uses those mini CDs.
    > I've run into a problem with a Memorex CD-R disk. Only half the photos on it
    > are readable. I've tried different drives. I've tried different directly from
    > the camera through a USB connection. But only 68 out of 125 of the images are
    > detected. (The first 68, FWIW.)
    >
    > Weirdly, if I put the camera is "review" mode, I can view all of the photos on
    > the camera's LCD screen. That's how I know how many photos are supposed to be
    > on the disk. But otherwise, it's like the files aren't even there.
    >
    > I'd really like to rescue these pics if possible. They're family holiday
    > pictures that can't be replaced. Any ideas?
    >
    > Leigh

    Some software like CDR-Diagnostics could probably get the pictures off
    the disk.

    Using disks with a capacity higher than Sonys' expensive discsis what
    causes your problem. (I do it too, so dont feel chagrined).

    What I have found is that I dnt have that problem unless I fillthe disk
    completely. (use about 150 - 160 mb then finalize or connect the camera
    and transfer). I use this technique with the 5mp Mavicam and its been
    working for me (after screwing up some workduring the learning curve)

    Larry
    Larry, Jan 17, 2004

  3. tose (LeighMo) writes:

    > I've got a Sony Mavica CD-300. The kind of camera that uses those mini
    > CDs. I've run into a problem with a Memorex CD-R disk. Only half the
    > photos on it are readable. I've tried different drives. I've tried
    > different directly from the camera through a USB connection. But only 68
    > out of 125 of the images are detected. (The first 68, FWIW.)

    My wife has a Mavica that writes to floppies. It will copy the contents of
    a floppy to another in camera; does your model have the ability to copy
    files from one CD to another?
    Phil Stripling, Jan 17, 2004
  4. LeighMo

    LeighMo Guest

    >Some software like CDR-Diagnostics could probably get the pictures off
    >the disk.

    Thanks. I Googled it, and it seems reasonably priced, if it works. :)

    >Using disks with a capacity higher than Sonys' expensive discsis what
    >causes your problem. (I do it too, so dont feel chagrined).

    The Sony disks aren't available around here, at any price. :p

    >What I have found is that I dnt have that problem unless I fillthe disk
    >completely. (use about 150 - 160 mb then finalize or connect the camera
    >and transfer).

    I've filled dozens of disks without a problem. I guess I must have been lucky.
    LeighMo, Jan 18, 2004
  5. LeighMo

    John Eppley Guest

    You may have inadvertently "finalized" the first group of 68 photos. The
    Mavica would be able to read all of the existing photos, but the final
    (69-125) would not be readable on a computer .........unless you had
    something like Roxio's CD creator installed. Try "finalizing" the existing
    disk. All 125 will probably be available.HTH.

    John
    John Eppley, Jan 18, 2004
  6. LeighMo

    LeighMo Guest

    >You may have inadvertently "finalized" the first group of 68 photos. The
    >Mavica would be able to read all of the existing photos, but the final
    >(69-125) would not be readable on a computer .........unless you had
    >something like Roxio's CD creator installed. Try "finalizing" the existing
    >disk. All 125 will probably be available.HTH.

    I tried that, but it wouldn't let me.

    I think the problem was bad media. I tried running the program Larry
    recommended, CDR-Diagnostics. (They offered a crippled version on their web
    site, that will show what files can be retrieved, but not actually retrieve
    them until you buy the software.) It ran for a whole day and night, and showed
    numerous errors.

    That being the case, I decided against buying the program, and instead went
    with a free program called IsoBuster. It can't handle packet-written CDs like
    DirectCD creates, but otherwise works just as well. It retrieved many of the
    photos, but also showed many bad sectors. After running all day, I got most of
    my photos back...but there were several unreadable sectors on the CD, and about
    half a dozen of the pictures were only partially retrieved. Half the image
    shows, the other half is gone, or weirdly colored, or looks a VCR suffering a
    tracking problem. But I got most of the pics back. :)

    So if anyone else has this problem -- www.isobuster.com. It's free, it works.
    It may take all day, but it works. (You can use your computer for other things
    while it's running in the background, so it's not too bad.)

    Leigh
    LeighMo, Jan 19, 2004
  7. LeighMo

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Hi...

    LeighMo wrote:
    >>You may have inadvertently "finalized" the first group of 68 photos. The
    >>Mavica would be able to read all of the existing photos, but the final
    >>(69-125) would not be readable on a computer .........unless you had
    >>something like Roxio's CD creator installed. Try "finalizing" the existing
    >>disk. All 125 will probably be available.HTH.
    >>

    > I tried that, but it wouldn't let me.
    >
    > I think the problem was bad media. I tried running the program Larry
    > recommended, CDR-Diagnostics. (They offered a crippled version on their web
    > site, that will show what files can be retrieved, but not actually retrieve
    > them until you buy the software.) It ran for a whole day and night, and showed
    > numerous errors.
    >
    > That being the case, I decided against buying the program, and instead went
    > with a free program called IsoBuster. It can't handle packet-written CDs like
    > DirectCD creates, but otherwise works just as well. It retrieved many of the
    > photos, but also showed many bad sectors. After running all day, I got most of
    > my photos back...but there were several unreadable sectors on the CD, and about
    > half a dozen of the pictures were only partially retrieved. Half the image
    > shows, the other half is gone, or weirdly colored, or looks a VCR suffering a
    > tracking problem. But I got most of the pics back. :)
    >
    > So if anyone else has this problem -- www.isobuster.com. It's free, it works.
    > It may take all day, but it works. (You can use your computer for other things
    > while it's running in the background, so it's not too bad.)
    >
    > Leigh

    Just one tiny thought that I hesitate to mention for fear
    that I might get slapped... :) I mean absolutely no
    disrespect, but you did take a look at the cd and make
    sure there were no heavy fingerprints or other bad
    markings? (I have grand kids; they like toast and jam :)

    If there are it might be worth a very gentle cleaning...

    Take care.

    Ken
    Ken Weitzel, Jan 19, 2004
  8. LeighMo

    LeighMo Guest

    >Just one tiny thought that I hesitate to mention for fear
    >that I might get slapped... :) I mean absolutely no
    >disrespect, but you did take a look at the cd and make
    >sure there were no heavy fingerprints or other bad
    >markings? (I have grand kids; they like toast and jam :)
    >
    >If there are it might be worth a very gentle cleaning...

    I tried a cleaning first thing. It didn't help. Though the disk does look a
    bit smudgy. Cleaning doesn't remove the smudges, though. And all the disks
    look that way. I think I might have gotten a bad batch. :p

    Leigh
    LeighMo, Jan 19, 2004
  9. LeighMo

    Larry Guest

    In article <>,
    tose says...
    > >Just one tiny thought that I hesitate to mention for fear
    > >that I might get slapped... :) I mean absolutely no
    > >disrespect, but you did take a look at the cd and make
    > >sure there were no heavy fingerprints or other bad
    > >markings? (I have grand kids; they like toast and jam :)
    > >
    > >If there are it might be worth a very gentle cleaning...

    > I tried a cleaning first thing. It didn't help. Though the disk does look a
    > bit smudgy. Cleaning doesn't remove the smudges, though. And all the disks
    > look that way. I think I might have gotten a bad batch. :p
    >
    > Leigh

    The problem is caused by the fact that the discs format out to more than
    the 3" cd specfications (I think they are SUPPOSED to e 156mb). That is
    why the Mavicam gives you that warning about "Mavcam DiscsRecommended"
    on screen when you put the disk in, and every time you turn the camera
    on.

    I dont like the Sony discs because of the price ($20 US for 3 "RW"
    discs). I did buy a few though and I use them as well as the Maxells
    (et, al) but I dont fill the 200mb discs up all the way. I dont put any
    more pictures on the disc than will fit on a 156mb disc. Since I started
    doing that, I haven't lost any pictures that way.

    Free advice is worth what it costs you, and sometimes more.

    I dont remember which Mavicam you said you were using, so I dont know
    how many pictures (on average) you could fit on the Sony disks. If you
    would limit the number, as I have been doing, you might have fewer
    problems.

    Larry
    Larry, Jan 19, 2004
  10. LeighMo

    LeighMo Guest

    > (I think they are SUPPOSED to e 156mb).

    So it says. FWIW, 80 Mb worth of pics were recognized by the camera -- nowhere
    near the limit.

    >I dont like the Sony discs because of the price ($20 US for 3 "RW"
    >discs).

    I don't like RW disks. I like being able to re-use disks, in theory, but in
    general (not camera-related), I've had a lot more problems with RW disks, and
    they're a lot slower to write to.

    >I dont remember which Mavicam you said you were using, so I dont know
    >how many pictures (on average) you could fit on the Sony disks. If you
    >would limit the number, as I have been doing, you might have fewer
    >problems.

    I have a 300. Most of the photos I take aren't irreplaceable, so I might try
    some experimentation. But I've taken dozens and dozens of disks worth of
    pictures, filled the disks up each time, and this is the only disk that's given
    me any trouble. I had noticed that this last batch of disks had a lot of bad
    ones, though. Half of them wouldn't format at all. But the ones that
    formatted didn't give me any trouble. Until now, that is.

    I'm inclined to never buy Memorex CDs again, but they're the only mini CDs sold
    around here.
    LeighMo, Jan 20, 2004
  11. LeighMo

    Larry Guest

    In article <>,
    tose says...
    > I have a 300. Most of the photos I take aren't irreplaceable, so I might try
    > some experimentation. But I've taken dozens and dozens of disks worth of
    > pictures, filled the disks up each time, and this is the only disk that's given
    > me any trouble. I had noticed that this last batch of disks had a lot of bad
    > ones, though. Half of them wouldn't format at all. But the ones that
    > formatted didn't give me any trouble. Until now, that is.
    >
    > I'm inclined to never buy Memorex CDs again, but they're the only mini CDs sold
    > around here.

    Same on all counts. If I can fnd the 3" disks at all they are usually
    Memorex cdrw, but I did find a couple of 5 packs of Imation cdr at the
    local Radio Shack so I'll givethem a try.

    The Memorex cdrw I have were 10 for $10, so if I get more than one use
    from them they are a bargain.

    Im hoping to find a reliable source for cdr blanks at reasonable prices,
    but so far Ive been stuck with the "rw" disks.

    My only problem with cdr disks is GETTING them!!!

    As for the unreliability of rw media, my experience has been similar to
    yours with computers, but has been ok with the Mavicam.

    I leave the disk in-camera and transfer pictures over USB (if I have the
    time) or change disks and transfer LATER with the cable.

    I have found that the rw disks are more reliable in-camera than in-
    computer drives, so I have taken on a new course of action. I dont
    finalize, and use the disks only in the camera. After 2 or three cycles
    of "fill-up, transfer, delete" I drop the disks into the re-cycle bin
    for plastics and move on.

    So far its working quite well with he Maxells.

    Im saving the few non re-writables I have for an up-coming photo event.

    Larry
    Larry, Jan 20, 2004
  12. LeighMo

    LeighMo Guest

    >Same on all counts. If I can fnd the 3" disks at all they are usually
    >Memorex cdrw, but I did find a couple of 5 packs of Imation cdr at the
    >local Radio Shack so I'll givethem a try.

    I can't find CD-RW minidiscs here at all. Just CD-Rs. I've gone through
    several 50-packs so far, and this disk is the only that's given me trouble.

    >I leave the disk in-camera and transfer pictures over USB (if I have the
    >time) or change disks and transfer LATER with the cable.

    I do that at home, but I had finalized this disk because I wanted look at the
    pics on my parents' computer. That was one of the reasons I chose this camera
    -- the supposedly universal media.

    But I guess I shouldn't complain. I've used this camera at home and at work.
    (I bought mine because I loved the ones at the office so much.) The Sony CDRW
    disks have been used repeatedly at the office with no problem. Very heavy use.
    So maybe it's worth buying them mail order or whatever.

    And like I said, I've gone through several 50-packs of Memorex CDR disks
    without a problem. I went to Europe last year, with this camera and 50 blank,
    formatted disks. With a film camera, I would have worried about the x-ray
    machines. Not to mention the expense of developing all that film. With flash
    memory, I'd have had to find an Internet cafe, e-mail myself the photos, and
    hope I didn't fill up my mailbox. But with the Mavica, I could shoot all the
    pics I wanted. No, I didn't actually fill up 50 CDs. More like a dozen. But
    it was nice to know I could, if I wanted to. :)

    Leigh
    LeighMo, Jan 25, 2004