    missing something totally? Thanks in advance.

    -Chris

    , Oct 21, 2004

  2. See the instruction manuals for your printer (first, because of the streaks)
    and then your software.

    Michael A. Covington, Oct 21, 2004

  3. Roddytoo Guest

    To answer this we need to know:
    Make and model of camera.
    File size of photos.
    Software used for printing.
    Printer.
    There are so many variables in the process it is impossible to home in on
    the problems without more information.

    Roddytoo, Oct 21, 2004
  4. wrote:
    > Hi all. Don't kow if this is the right group for this but here goes: I
    > have been taking lots of pictures with my new camera and storing them
    > on cd, recently when I tried to print them out the results were very
    > disapointing. It could be the type of paper I'm using but when the
    > pictures come out they have lines across the picture

    This is generally a ink cartridge problem, indicating the heads need
    cleaning. It can also be a printer problem. It can be aggravated by using
    the non-original ink.

    > and the photo
    > won't center.

    Likely a software problem. (note software also includes drivers)

    > Is this a problem with my printer/software/paper or am I
    > missing something totally? Thanks in advance.
    >
    > -Chris

    Frankly we need more information to really say. Do you have a good
    photo quality printer?

    --
    Joseph E. Meehan

    26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

    Joseph Meehan, Oct 21, 2004
  5. Guest

    "Roddytoo" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > To answer this we need to know:
    > Make and model of camera.
    > File size of photos.
    > Software used for printing.
    > Printer.
    > There are so many variables in the process it is impossible to home in on
    > the problems without more information.

    My mistake, I thought I mentioned what type of printer etc. But I must
    have deleted by mistake. Ah well. My printer is Epson 880, my camera a
    Panasonic DMC-LC33 and the file size is between 550kb-1mb. I have
    tried a few different programs to run it, my computers default, the
    program that came with my camera and Adobe Photoshop. Thanks for the
    reply.
    -Chris

    , Oct 21, 2004
  6. Two seperate problems here. Not centering is a function of the page
    layout in your application (which application did you print from?)
    There are usually, in most apps, the options whether to print
    centered, or use some margin settings for printing in upper left
    corner.

    Lines may well be an alignment issue with your printer. Do a head
    alignment. If the printer is really old, this problem may be inherent,
    but if it is a fairly new printer it should not make these lines if
    properly aligned. Do you run alignment utility each time you replace
    ink cartridge? You should.

    Don Stauffer in Minneapolis, Oct 22, 2004
  7. MB Guest

    "Don Stauffer in Minneapolis" <> wrote in message
    > Two seperate problems here. Not centering is a function of the page
    > layout in your application (which application did you print from?)
    > There are usually, in most apps, the options whether to print
    > centered, or use some margin settings for printing in upper left
    > corner.

    Not necessarily. Centring is a problem issue with Epson printers in my
    experience. I have used two of them (Photo Stylus 910 and 1290) and both of
    them print off centre. By this I mean the border around the edge of the
    image is not even. This happens even if the picture is cropped to the
    correct dimensions (ie. when printing on 6x4ins paper the image is cropped
    to 6x4ins). It doesn't matter what app you print from (I have used several,
    including QImage, PS7 and ACDSEE). It also happens regardless of what
    settings you use within those apps (print centred, set margins etc). I have
    learned to live with it, but it is annoying (and also disappointing because
    these are otherwise very good printers.)

    MB, Oct 25, 2004
  8. Ed Ruf Guest

    On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 06:39:17 +0100, in rec.photo.digital "MB"
    <> wrote:

    >Not necessarily. Centring is a problem issue with Epson printers in my
    >experience. I have used two of them (Photo Stylus 910 and 1290) and both of
    >them print off centre. By this I mean the border around the edge of the
    >image is not even. This happens even if the picture is cropped to the
    >correct dimensions (ie. when printing on 6x4ins paper the image is cropped
    >to 6x4ins). It doesn't matter what app you print from (I have used several,
    >including QImage, PS7 and ACDSEE). It also happens regardless of what
    >settings you use within those apps (print centred, set margins etc). I have
    >learned to live with it, but it is annoying (and also disappointing because
    >these are otherwise very good printers.)

    Can't speak to 6x4 prints, but centering works just fine on my 1270
    printing to 8-1/2 x 11 using Qimage or PSP7.
    Ed Ruf Lifetime AMA# 344007 ()
    http://EdwardGRuf.com

    Ed Ruf, Oct 25, 2004
  9. <> wrote in message
    > My mistake, I thought I mentioned what type of printer etc. But I must
    > have deleted by mistake. Ah well. My printer is Epson 880, my camera a
    > Panasonic DMC-LC33 and the file size is between 550kb-1mb. I have
    > tried a few different programs to run it, my computers default, the
    > program that came with my camera and Adobe Photoshop. Thanks for the
    > reply.
    > -Chris

    I have an Epson 880 as well. It actually can produce very nice pictures.
    You must use high quality photo papers. Epson, Kodak, and Office Depot
    all work well for me. (4x6 and 8.5x11 sizes).
    Make sure your ink heads are not plugged. (Use nozzle check and clean.)
    Print using a high quality setting. Photo Enhance works reasonably well as
    a starting point.
    Make sure you choose the correct paper type.
    Choose Maximum printable area to avoid a 1/2 inch border on the trailing
    edge.
    I usually use Paint Shop Pro to print, and I choose Fit to Page and Center.
    If you want to fill as much of the paper as possible, you'll need to crop
    the
    photo to the same Height:Width as the paper. Your originals are
    probably
    4:3. The 880 can print to 1/8 inch of each edge when you choose Maximum
    Printable area. So subtract 1/4 (2 x 1/8) from each paper dimension and
    calculate the Height:Width ratio. Crop your picture to the same ratio.

    Hope that helps.

    Dan (Woj...)
    ===============================
    "Father please forgive me for I can not compose
    The fear that lives within me
    Or the rate at which it grows
    If struggle has a purpose on the narrow road you've carved
    Why do I dread my trespasses will leave a deadly scar"

    Dan Wojciechowski, Oct 25, 2004
  10. ....
    > Can't speak to 6x4 prints, but centering works just fine on my 1270
    > printing to 8-1/2 x 11 using Qimage or PSP7.

    The O.P. reported using an Epson 880. I use the same printer, and as
    long as the "Use Maximum Printable Area" box is checked, centering
    is not an issue with 6x4 or 8.5x11 paper.

    --
    Dan (Woj...) [dmaster](no space)[at](no space)[lucent](no space)[dot](no
    space)[com]

    Dan Wojciechowski, Oct 25, 2004