problem printing from older DOS program in Windows XP network

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?Sm9uIEpvbmVz?=, May 5, 2006.

  1. Hello,

    I am having a problem printing in Windows XP workstations from an older DOS
    database program. The database is for a local tire company. It holds
    inventory and orders and does invoices and reports. The program runs from
    one system that is the primary server. The server is running XP also
    because the support technicians for the software say that it runs to slow
    from a server OS platform for them to support it. One Okidata ML320 Turbo
    printer is connected to the parallel port on the server as LPT1. This is
    then shared and the workstation use NET USE to connect to this printer as
    LPT1 locally. This printer has not had a problem, but it is only used with
    blank fanfold paper for reports and such.

    The problem printer is connected to a workstation that has another Okidata
    ML320 Turbo connected to the parallel port that is configured in Windows as
    LPT2. Again this is shared and the other workstations and the server
    connect to this printer using NET USE so that it is connected locally as
    LPT2. This printer runs invoice paper and is used only for that. The
    parallel port is configured in BIOS using IO 378 and IRQ 7, it is also set
    as a standard parallel port, ECP and EPP are not enabled. The driver in
    Windows XP for the parallel port now has a drop down selection for LPT and
    LPT2 is selected. The sepparate LPT printers are done this way beacuse of
    the way that the DOS program access the printers. The server is left on all
    the time for a backup to perform after hours the other workstations are shut
    down every night. They are connecting through a wireless 802.11g router.
    We are using WPA2 for network security.

    The problem does not happen every time, but occasionally when they boot the
    systems in the morning the workstation printer will not print. What happens
    is the print spool on the workstation begins backing up jobs. One odd thing
    that I noticed when this happens is a phantom job that keeps appearing and
    disappearing. This phantom job appears to be a copy of the first print job
    in the que. The phantom job appears then says printing and after a few
    seconds disappears then reappears a few seconds later and the circle starts
    over. If the computer is shut down or restarted with the spool backed up
    all jobs are dumped to the printer as Windows exits and the jobs print.
    This is any job not just DOS print jobs. The local workstation can not
    print to the printer either.

    The way we are clearing this problem is to either shut down the computer and
    allow the jobs to dump to the printer or we cancel all jobs and clear the
    spool then shut down the computer. When this is done normal printing
    generally resumes. If the computer is only restarted instead of shut down
    the problem is not fixed. Tech support for the DOS program has no idea what
    is going on, they say they have never seen this before.

    I am also at a loss as to what is going on unless the XP setting for LPT2 is
    not always going into effect. One thing I have not tried and I will do this
    next week, is to put another PCI parallel port into the workstation so that
    XP is forced to see both LPT1 and LPT2 locally. I am hoping someone has
    seen this problem before or knows what may be causing the trouble.

    Any help will be greatly appreciated.

    Thank you,
    Jon
    =?Utf-8?B?Sm9uIEpvbmVz?=, May 5, 2006

  2. Did you tried changing the ports to new ones, you might find old cards with
    parallel ports either PCI or ISA. Usually those kind of problems occur when
    one or more pins inside are damaged or burned (static can damage).

    Hope it helps.

    JPG

    =?Utf-8?B?SnVhblBhYmxvR2FsbGFyZG8=?=, May 5, 2006