Problem posting to newsgroup

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Rolf, Apr 24, 2006.

  1. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    I have a problem posting to a usenet newsgroup.

    My ISP's news server is news1.c2i.net

    I had been posting to talk.origins for years when I suddenly found that my
    postings no longer would appear on the forum.

    The forum moderator tells me that there is nothing that to his knowledge
    that should prevent me from posting.

    I have found something that may relate to the problem, but I don't know:

    I have susbcribed to a couple of other newsgroups, 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    and talk.atheism, and I can post to both of them.

    But in the listing of newsgroups in IE5, under news1.c2i.net, I find that
    talk.origins is listed in red, while the other two are listed in black.

    Why is that, could that mean something?

    The talk.origins moderator has suggested as a possible explanation that
    maybe my ISP have changed their status from moderated to non-moderated. In
    IE5 however, it appers with 'Moderated' in the header.

    Rolf
    Rolf, Apr 24, 2006

  2. Rolf

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-04-24, Rolf <> wrote:
    > I have a problem posting to a usenet newsgroup.
    >
    > My ISP's news server is news1.c2i.net
    >
    > I had been posting to talk.origins for years when I suddenly found that my
    > postings no longer would appear on the forum.
    >
    > The forum moderator tells me that there is nothing that to his knowledge
    > that should prevent me from posting.
    >
    > I have found something that may relate to the problem, but I don't know:
    >
    > I have susbcribed to a couple of other newsgroups, 24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > and talk.atheism, and I can post to both of them.

    That shouldn't make any difference to any other groups you subscribe to.

    > But in the listing of newsgroups in IE5, under news1.c2i.net, I find that
    > talk.origins is listed in red, while the other two are listed in black.
    >
    > Why is that, could that mean something?

    The 'Help' for your news-reader would be the place to look for what its
    use of different colours might mean. Your newsreader is 'Outlook Express',
    but I think you can get to it from the Internet Explorer 'menu' so
    confusion can be forgiven ;))

    > The talk.origins moderator has suggested as a possible explanation that
    > maybe my ISP have changed their status from moderated to non-moderated. In
    > IE5 however, it appers with 'Moderated' in the header.
    >
    > Rolf

    Have you asked your ISP to confirm that their news-server still carries
    talk.origins and that it is correctly set up as 'moderated'? Can you
    still read new messages in that group as normal? Have you tried to
    'unsubscribe' from talk.origins and then 'subscribe' again?

    Have you tried to reach talk.origins using a different news-server? You
    are not restricted to only using your ISP's news-server - and they are
    often not very reliable.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Apr 24, 2006

  3. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    Whiskers <> wrote in message
    > On 2006-04-24, Rolf <> wrote:
    > > I have a problem posting to a usenet newsgroup.
    > >
    > > My ISP's news server is news1.c2i.net
    > >
    > > I had been posting to talk.origins for years when I suddenly found that

    my
    > > postings no longer would appear on the forum.
    > >
    > > The forum moderator tells me that there is nothing that to his knowledge
    > > that should prevent me from posting.
    > >
    > > I have found something that may relate to the problem, but I don't know:
    > >
    > > I have susbcribed to a couple of other newsgroups,

    24hoursupport.helpdesk
    > > and talk.atheism, and I can post to both of them.

    > That shouldn't make any difference to any other groups you subscribe to.
    >
    > > But in the listing of newsgroups in IE5, under news1.c2i.net, I find

    that
    > > talk.origins is listed in red, while the other two are listed in black.
    > >
    > > Why is that, could that mean something?

    > The 'Help' for your news-reader would be the place to look for what its
    > use of different colours might mean. Your newsreader is 'Outlook

    Express',
    > but I think you can get to it from the Internet Explorer 'menu' so
    > confusion can be forgiven ;))
    >
    > > The talk.origins moderator has suggested as a possible explanation that
    > > maybe my ISP have changed their status from moderated to non-moderated.

    In
    > > IE5 however, it appers with 'Moderated' in the header.
    > >
    > > Rolf

    > Have you asked your ISP to confirm that their news-server still carries
    > talk.origins and that it is correctly set up as 'moderated'? Can you
    > still read new messages in that group as normal? Have you tried to
    > 'unsubscribe' from talk.origins and then 'subscribe' again?
    >
    > Have you tried to reach talk.origins using a different news-server? You
    > are not restricted to only using your ISP's news-server - and they are
    > often not very reliable.
    >
    > --
    > -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    > -- Whiskers
    > -- ~~~~~~~~~~

    My ISP says they are still working on the problem, have been for many weeks
    now....

    Unsubscribe/resubscribe tried, no success.

    Different news-server, can I get that without changing to another ISP? I am
    using a dial-up, free Internet subscription where I only pay for connected
    time - no fixed fees. I tried subscribing to another ISP of the same kind,
    but for some reason I couldn't even connect..

    Rolf
    Rolf, Apr 24, 2006
  4. Rolf

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2006-04-24, Rolf <> wrote:

    > Whiskers <> wrote in message
    >> On 2006-04-24, Rolf <> wrote:

    snip

    >> Have you asked your ISP to confirm that their news-server still carries
    >> talk.origins and that it is correctly set up as 'moderated'? Can you
    >> still read new messages in that group as normal? Have you tried to
    >> 'unsubscribe' from talk.origins and then 'subscribe' again?
    >>
    >> Have you tried to reach talk.origins using a different news-server? You
    >> are not restricted to only using your ISP's news-server - and they are
    >> often not very reliable.

    > My ISP says they are still working on the problem, have been for many weeks
    > now....

    Ah! So they have a problem. ISPs typically have few employees if any who
    are thoroughly familiar with usenet and news-servers. Without a specific
    income from the news-server the accountants don't like spending any money
    on it.

    > Unsubscribe/resubscribe tried, no success.

    Not surprising if the problem is with the news-server.

    > Different news-server, can I get that without changing to another ISP? I am
    > using a dial-up, free Internet subscription where I only pay for connected
    > time - no fixed fees. I tried subscribing to another ISP of the same kind,
    > but for some reason I couldn't even connect..
    >
    > Rolf

    Public news-servers can be accessed via any ISP account. The one I use
    charges 10 Euros a year (text groups only) and the service is very
    reliable. Read about it here <http://www.individual.net/>. They announce
    planned service interruptions, etc, in the newsgroup
    alt.usenet.news-server-comparison. A web search will bring up many other
    public news-servers.

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers
    Whiskers, Apr 24, 2006
  5. Rolf

    Rolf Guest

    Whiskers <> wrote in message
    > On 2006-04-24, Rolf <> wrote:
    > >
    > > Whiskers <> wrote in message
    > >> On 2006-04-24, Rolf <> wrote:

    [snip]
    > > My ISP says they are still working on the problem, have been for many

    weeks
    > > now....

    > Ah! So they have a problem. ISPs typically have few employees if any who
    > are thoroughly familiar with usenet and news-servers. Without a specific
    > income from the news-server the accountants don't like spending any money
    > on it.
    >
    > > Unsubscribe/resubscribe tried, no success.

    > Not surprising if the problem is with the news-server.
    >
    > > Different news-server, can I get that without changing to another ISP? I

    am
    > > using a dial-up, free Internet subscription where I only pay for

    connected
    > > time - no fixed fees. I tried subscribing to another ISP of the same

    kind,
    > > but for some reason I couldn't even connect..
    > >
    > > Rolf

    > Public news-servers can be accessed via any ISP account. The one I use
    > charges 10 Euros a year (text groups only) and the service is very
    > reliable. Read about it here <http://www.individual.net/>. They announce
    > planned service interruptions, etc, in the newsgroup
    > alt.usenet.news-server-comparison. A web search will bring up many other
    > public news-servers.

    Thanks a lot, I am confident I soon will be back in business again, one way
    or the other...

    Rolf

    Rolf, Apr 25, 2006