Problem playing certain (newer) DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Nick de Graeve, Apr 2, 2006.

  1. I have had for many years a stand-alone DVD player, a Kenwood DVF-5020.

    Since recently some newly purchased DVDs get poorly recognized. When I
    put the DVD in the player, the display shows "No Play" and on the screen
    appears "This type of disc cannot be played. Please insert a different
    disc.". If I open and close the tray several times, the disc does get
    accepted.
    It concerns "Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith" and "Back to
    the Future" 4-disc Collectors Edition. With the other DVDs in my
    collection I don't have any problems. The DVD player is Region 2, as are
    all my discs.

    I don't think it's a hardware problem, I suspect that my old player
    can't handle a newer copy protection scheme very well.

    Anybody with similar problems? Is there a solution? Maybe somebody has a
    theory?

    Nick
    --
    Nick's Auditorium: http://users.pandora.be/nicks_auditorium
    History of and technical information on movie sound systems.

    Nick de Graeve, Apr 2, 2006

  2. Nick de Graeve

    Stan Jensen Guest

    I had that problem. All it took was buying a new machine. :(

    Stan Jensen, Apr 2, 2006