    affected other PC 's in house.......
    Running Windows ME ;-)

    Any help most appreciated Thanks

    andy, Sep 2, 2006

  2. "andy" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > When my daughters PC powers up get a message *Windows protection error
    > need to restart computer System halted * When re start it goes into
    > options menu with safe mode selected as improper shutdown etc. am able
    > to get into safe mode OK. Also getting message sometimes * Cable not
    > connected * tho it obviously is .....
    > Tried going into BIOS and adjusting selection * Restore on AC power
    > loss * ........ we did have a power cut recently tho it hasn't
    > affected other PC 's in house.......
    > Running Windows ME ;-)
    >
    > Any help most appreciated Thanks

    How to troubleshoot Windows protection errors:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=149962

    Douglas C. Neidermeyer, Sep 2, 2006

  3. andy

    Ron Martell Guest

    andy <> wrote:

    >When my daughters PC powers up get a message *Windows protection error
    >need to restart computer System halted * When re start it goes into
    >options menu with safe mode selected as improper shutdown etc. am able
    >to get into safe mode OK. Also getting message sometimes * Cable not
    >connected * tho it obviously is .....
    >Tried going into BIOS and adjusting selection * Restore on AC power
    >loss * ........ we did have a power cut recently tho it hasn't
    >affected other PC 's in house.......
    >Running Windows ME ;-)
    >
    >Any help most appreciated Thanks

    Boot into Safe Mode.
    Launch System Restore (in Accessories - System Tools)
    Choose the most recent restore point that is prior to the onset of the
    problem.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP (1997 - 2006)
    On-Line Help Computer Service

    has never been in bed with a mosquito."

    Ron Martell, Sep 2, 2006
  4. andy

    Jimmy Dean Guest

    On Sat, 02 Sep 2006 13:38:29 GMT, andy <>
    wrote:

    >When my daughters PC powers up get a message *Windows protection error
    >need to restart computer System halted * When re start it goes into
    >options menu with safe mode selected as improper shutdown etc. am able
    >to get into safe mode OK. Also getting message sometimes * Cable not
    >connected * tho it obviously is .....

    Power the PC off, then pull that cable out and reseat it firmly

    jd

    Jimmy Dean, Sep 3, 2006
  5. andy

    andy Guest

    wrote:

    >When my daughters PC powers up get a message *Windows protection error
    >need to restart computer System halted * When re start it goes into
    >options menu with safe mode selected as improper shutdown etc. am able
    >to get into safe mode OK. Also getting message sometimes * Cable not
    >connected * tho it obviously is .....
    >Tried going into BIOS and adjusting selection * Restore on AC power
    >loss * ........ we did have a power cut recently tho it hasn't
    >affected other PC 's in house.......
    >Running Windows ME ;-)
    >
    >Any help most appreciated Thanks

    Thanks for all replies . Problem sorted ... seemed to be corrupt
    display driver + network card driver . All OK after reinstalling from
    CD that came with MOB.
    Painstakingly went thro MSCONFIG trouble shooting procedure

    Cheers

    andy, Sep 3, 2006