    I just finished installing Windows 2003 64-bit. I cannot get to the
    internet by using Internet Explorer. It said "Page cannot be displayed" I
    have tried various web sites. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.
    Diane Walker, Feb 2, 2008

  2. Which is your motherboard - CPU - Chipset, please?

    (If you don't know - which brand and model is the machine?)

    Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Feb 2, 2008

  3. The reason Tony was asking, is that there are known problems with Nvidia
    based motherboards. I know what I'm about to say is silly, but if you have
    an nvidia chipset mobo, just trust me and do it.

    Known problem:
    Unfortunately, the built in nVidia firewall product appears to install at
    least some portion of itself even if you've never chosen to install it. And
    this appears to interfere with 32-bit programs. The solution is to install
    the firewall program if it isn't already installed, and then uninstall it.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Feb 2, 2008
  4. Diane Walker

    Diane Walker Guest

    Thanks both of you for the information. It is a Dell PowerEdge 2850.

    Diane Walker, Feb 3, 2008
  5. Diane Walker

    philo Guest

    > I just finished installing Windows 2003 64-bit. I cannot get to the
    > internet by using Internet Explorer. It said "Page cannot be displayed"

    > have tried various web sites. Do you have any suggestions? Thanks.

    First thing to see is if your netcard is actually installed...
    If not, you will then need to install the *64bit* drivers for it.

    Note: not all net cards have 64bit drivers...but check the mfg's website

    Also: If the machine has an "on-board" device...the drivers would be on the
    CD that came with your motherboard
    philo, Feb 3, 2008
  6. O.K. - this is Intel (not nVidia), like Philo says you need to check that
    your machine was delivered with net-cards or if it is on the motherboard -
    that networking is enabled in the BIOS. In addition, if you need to install
    drivers, they must be 64bit - don't trust the system CD - you may have to
    download them separately from Dell/ Intel?

    Tony Sperling, Feb 3, 2008
  7. Diane Walker

    Diane Walker Guest

    Thanks Charlie and Philo for your suggestions. I will try Dell's web site
    and let you know the status.

    Diane Walker, Feb 3, 2008
  8. Diane Walker

    philo Guest

    > Thanks Charlie and Philo for your suggestions. I will try Dell's web site
    > and let you know the status.
    >
    > "

    Ok...please post back and let use know what happened
    philo, Feb 3, 2008
  9. Diane Walker

    Carlos Guest

    Diane,
    How do you connect to the Internet?
    Dial-up modem (external or internal), ADSL modem (USB or Ethernet), etc.?
    Could you connect to the Internet with your prior installation before
    Windows 2003 64-bit?
    Have you configured your Internet connection?
    Carlos

    Carlos, Feb 4, 2008
  10. Diane Walker

    Diane Walker Guest

    Thanks for your response. I connect to the internet by Ethernet. I was
    able to connect to the internet through Windows 2000 Advanced Server.

    I have not downloaded the 64-bit drivers. We had a major power problem. I
    will work on this problem tomorrow and let you know the status. Thanks
    again.

    Diane Walker, Feb 5, 2008
  11. Diane Walker

    Diane Walker Guest

    I installed the 64-bit driver for the network card. I downloaded the driver
    from Dell website. Still, I could not get on the internet. I checked all
    the drivers in Device Manager and everything looks normal. I do not get any
    Exclamation Points or Question Marks. Will there be any problems with
    Windows 2003 64-bit with the internal IP address of 192.168.1.10?

    Thanks.

    Diane Walker, Feb 6, 2008