Problem -> nVidia graphics card and Nwiz.exe

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Pennywise@DerryMaine.Gov, Jul 26, 2009.

  1. Guest

    (Posted to clandhd.net, figured I'd post it here as well)

    I am still attempting to get java script running on my XPro OS,
    scripting works but .GIF animations don't. Yet everything works just
    fine on my dual booting XP home OS.

    I decided get serious and use Process Monitor,
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx

    I was having problems with my mouse awhile ago so had Setpoint
    included in the filters, (drivers wouldn't load - whole nother story).

    I started up Process Monitor and started getting:

    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA
    Corporation\Global\NVTweak\DisableWindowCaching___Not Found
    errors.

    It was nonstop, not doing anything and I'd get page after page of the
    same message.

    If you have a nVidia video card you need to look into this.

    The registry entry doesn't exist, but that doesn't stop Nwiz for
    looking for it <Grin>

    You have two choices disable Nwiz.exe from running at start up with
    Regedit or autoruns
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx
    (don't use MSCONFIG, it's not ment for this).

    Or add the Registry entry yourself (this is what I did, as I might add
    a second monitor)
    At: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NVTweak\
    create a new DWORD, DisableWindowCaching and set it to 0

    Fixed it right up.

    You can view this error by running Process Monitor, when it
    starts it will display filters - disable any Green, leave the red, at
    the top left select Process Name in the third box enter
    Setpoint (or your program of your choice) and leave
    include listed, ADD, then APPLY.
    PM scrolls by default, so you'll see what looks like the same page but
    it's just scrolling as fast as it can <Grin>
    Control+E to stop the capture (all in the menu).

    I used Logitech's Setpoint as an example, because that's
    program I caught it with, and it displays a constant output of the
    error, other mouse programs may do the same. Opera never gave me the
    error.

    Google claims this can bog a system down to a crawl. I don't normally
    use this OS so never noticed, but my other OS could see some
    improvement - Just Gif animations and I'd be happy :)

    Google: DisableWindowCaching
    for others who have come across this.

    --

    Construction Errors
    http://www.crookedbrains.net/2009/03/construction.html

    , Jul 26, 2009

  2. , ye spleeny censurer, scurvy, old, filthy,
    scurry lord, ye declared:

    > scripting works but .GIF animations don't.

    And your version of Internet Explorer is?

    Hu Flung Dung, Jul 26, 2009

  3. Guest

    "Hu Flung Dung" <> wrote:

    >, ye spleeny censurer, scurvy, old, filthy,
    >scurry lord, ye declared:

    >> scripting works but .GIF animations don't.

    >And your version of Internet Explorer is?

    I.E.6.029 and the firewall blocks it. I have to allow it to reach out.

    This problem in on XP Pro only, and .GIF animations just don't work
    with Opera 9.27 or the latest FireFox.

    Couple of repair installs, and all the mime's are all correct.
    --

    Construction Errors
    http://www.crookedbrains.net/2009/03/construction.html
    Claims not to be Shopped.

    , Jul 26, 2009
  4. , ye unconscious lean-faced villain, o base
    hungarian wight, ye cried:

    > "Hu Flung Dung" <> wrote:
    >
    >> , ye spleeny censurer, scurvy, old, filthy,
    >> scurry lord, ye declared:

    >>> scripting works but .GIF animations don't.

    >> And your version of Internet Explorer is?

    > I.E.6.029

    The rest of the world has moved on.

    > and the firewall blocks it. I have to allow it to reach out.
    >
    > This problem in on XP Pro only, and .GIF animations just don't work
    > with Opera 9.27 or the latest FireFox.
    >
    > Couple of repair installs, and all the mime's are all correct.

    And the IE advanced setting for playing images is set to what?

    Hu Flung Dung, Jul 27, 2009
  5. chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > (Posted to clandhd.net, figured I'd post it here as well)
    >
    > I am still attempting to get java script running on my XPro OS,

    Um, isn't that what .NET replaces?

    > scripting works but .GIF animations don't.

    That would be the gif library. Try either repairing IE in add/remove
    programs or uninstalling and reinstalling paint. I did a quick look and
    couldn't find a specific dll file, but there must be.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 27, 2009
  6. Guest

    "Hu Flung Dung" <> wrote:

    >, ye unconscious lean-faced villain, o base
    >hungarian wight, ye cried:
    >
    >> "Hu Flung Dung" <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> , ye spleeny censurer, scurvy, old, filthy,
    >>> scurry lord, ye declared:

    >>> And your version of Internet Explorer is?

    >> I.E.6.029

    >The rest of the world has moved on.
    >
    >> and the firewall blocks it. I have to allow it to reach out.
    >>
    >> This problem in on XP Pro only, and .GIF animations just don't work
    >> with Opera 9.27 or the latest FireFox.
    >>
    >> Couple of repair installs, and all the mime's are all correct.

    >And the IE advanced setting for playing images is set to what?

    All of the multimedia is selected, I'm done, everything in Opera is
    set correctly, I can drop and drag GIF's into it and they work, but
    not from a website.

    --

    warning
    http://img20.imageshack.us/img20/3434/3738626741c9907286d7o.jpg

    , Jul 28, 2009
  7. Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    > wrote in
    >
    >> (Posted to clandhd.net, figured I'd post it here as well)
    >>
    >> I am still attempting to get java script running on my XPro OS,

    >Um, isn't that what .NET replaces?

    Not in my world, Java and Java script are two different things.

    >> scripting works but .GIF animations don't.

    >That would be the gif library. Try either repairing IE in add/remove
    >programs or uninstalling and reinstalling paint. I did a quick look and
    >couldn't find a specific dll file, but there must be.

    I don't use I.E. I thought the I.E. version 6.029 I have on my OS a
    hint. The only way it updates is thru the service packs.

    Both Opera and Firefox are new installs out of the box Gif's didn't
    work, FireFox on XP home is version 1.04 and it works fine, as does
    Opera.

    Do you have any clue what would happen if I associated GIF's with
    MSpaint?

    Each gif would open in a separate MSpaint program - and seeing that
    MSpaint doesn't support .gif's (No animations).

    As for the GIF Library or .DLL"

    Drop and drag a Gif into a browser and it works (animated) so no.

  8. chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > chuckcar <> wrote:
    >
    >> wrote in
    >>
    >>> (Posted to clandhd.net, figured I'd post it here as well)
    >>>
    >>> I am still attempting to get java script running on my XPro OS,

    >>Um, isn't that what .NET replaces?

    > Not in my world, Java and Java script are two different things.
    >
    >>> scripting works but .GIF animations don't.

    >>That would be the gif library. Try either repairing IE in add/remove
    >>programs or uninstalling and reinstalling paint. I did a quick look and
    >>couldn't find a specific dll file, but there must be.

    > I don't use I.E. I thought the I.E. version 6.029 I have on my OS a
    > hint. The only way it updates is thru the service packs.

    But is there a version of it *on* the computer? parts of IE are used by
    windows even if you don't use the brower.

    > Both Opera and Firefox are new installs out of the box Gif's didn't
    > work, FireFox on XP home is version 1.04 and it works fine, as does
    > Opera.
    >
    > Do you have any clue what would happen if I associated GIF's with
    > MSpaint?
    >
    > Each gif would open in a separate MSpaint program - and seeing that
    > MSpaint doesn't support .gif's (No animations).

    It *does* support GIF files, it just doesn't do the GIF89a extension of
    animation. Think about it: windows 95 came out when before or after 1989?

    > As for the GIF Library or .DLL"
    >
    > Drop and drag a Gif into a browser and it works (animated) so no.

    Does it display a picture at *all*? If so it's a brower setting. Otherwise
    it's a library problem.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 28, 2009
  9. Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    >> Each gif would open in a separate MSpaint program - and seeing that
    >> MSpaint doesn't support .gif's (No animations).
    >>

    >It *does* support GIF files, it just doesn't do the GIF89a extension of
    >animation. Think about it: windows 95 came out when before or after 1989?

    It's never supported .GIF files in any form and they had 5 years to
    work with it.

    Remember The company that owned the rights to .Gif were starting to
    ask for royalties on what used to be a free format (MS pays for
    nothing, it builds trash rather than use a worldwide standard).

    MS came up with .BMP, a useless bloated graphic format rather than use
    common and popular standard - Tiff for one.

    Or rebuilds a standard to it's liking, destroying the main purpose of
    the format in the process, compatibility - Java.

    >> As for the GIFT Library or .DELL"
    >>
    >> Drop and drag a Gift into a browser and it works (animated) so no.
    >>

    >Does it display a picture at *all*? If so it's a brewer setting. Otherwise
    >it's a library problem.

    It works.

    It's my OS, little things like this, and they are all adding up to a
    format and fresh install of XP Pro.

    Spent quite awhile failing to upgrade the firmware on my router last
    night. Switched OS's and Home did it on the first attempt.

    That was the final draw, it time.

    And I've always thought the only reason MS supported JAG's from the
    very beginning, was because the programmers gave it to the public.
    Public support of JAG would of made MS support the format in the end.
    --

    Gravity Sucks
    http://www.yadogg.com/ups/cantendwell.jpg

    , Jul 28, 2009
  10. Guest

    wrote:

    >And I've always thought the only reason MS supported JAG's from the
    >very beginning, was because the programmers gave it to the public.
    >Public support of JAG would of made MS support the format in the end.

    Got click crazy with the spell checker.

    And I've always thought the only reason MS supported JAG's from the
    very beginning, was because the programmers gave it to the public.
    Public support of JPG would of made MS support the format in the end.

  11. chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > chuckcar <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Each gif would open in a separate MSpaint program - and seeing that
    >>> MSpaint doesn't support .gif's (No animations).
    >>>

    >>It *does* support GIF files, it just doesn't do the GIF89a extension of
    >>animation. Think about it: windows 95 came out when before or after
    >>1989?

    > It's never supported .GIF files in any form and they had 5 years to
    > work with it.
    >
    > Remember The company that owned the rights to .Gif were starting to
    > ask for royalties on what used to be a free format (MS pays for
    > nothing, it builds trash rather than use a worldwide standard).

    Compuserve. However MSpaint will gladly open gif files. Always has. Maybe
    it can't create them.

    > MS came up with .BMP, a useless bloated graphic format rather than use
    > common and popular standard - Tiff for one.

    Uncompressed. A literal 1 to 1 bitmap. That's why they get so big. Esp when
    they're more than a 256 colour pallette.

    >>Does it display a picture at *all*? If so it's a browser setting. Otherwise
    >>it's a library problem.

    > It works.

    Good.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Jul 28, 2009
  12. Guest

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    > Remember The company that owned the rights to .Gif were starting to
    >> ask for royalties on what used to be a free format (MS pays for
    >> nothing, it builds trash rather than use a worldwide standard).

    >Compuserve. However MSpaint will gladly open gif files. Always has. Maybe
    >it can't create them.

    Yes, but they will not be animated. Here use this program:
    www.freetrialdownloads.com/lv/group/view/kl34879/Microsoft_GIF_Animator.htm
    just throw some pix into it. then use your MSpaint.

    Even has it's own wikipedia article.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_GIF_Animator

    --

    Tie your sneakers