    When i sniff on netowrk, i see all the packets even if I do not make
    parties of the group. The software multicast everywhere on same vlan.
    Do you have a solution for me ?

    Steeve Boulanger, Dec 6, 2004

  2. On 6 Dec 2004 06:46:53 -0800, (Steeve
    Boulanger) wrote:

    >I have a software who send data teacher screen on all student screen.
    >I have a multicasting problem with this software. When a start
    >software and i "sniff" packet on network, i see full multicasting
    >packet generating by this software. I have catalyst swith 2924 (CGMP)
    >and 2950 (IGMP). All student computer it's connect on same vlan.
    >When i sniff on netowrk, i see all the packets even if I do not make
    >parties of the group. The software multicast everywhere on same vlan.
    > Do you have a solution for me ?

    What you are experiencing is epected behavior on the Catalyst 2924 XL
    switch. It is only a layer 2 switch and in essence, turns the
    multicast into a broadcast, it has no way of telling which hosts
    subscribe to the multicast and which don't to filter traffic. CGMP
    from what I remember only forwards information to a multicast router
    to help it determine where to send multicast traffic. Some of the
    2950s do IGMP snooping which may help your situation, but the XLs do
    not do anything like that.

    Good Luck
    -Robert

    Robert B. Phillips, II, Dec 6, 2004