    little????

    If I have cross-posted to the wrong groups please feel free to advise which
    ones to try....
    Me, Dec 25, 2006

  2. Me

    John Bean Guest

    On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 12:01:33 -0000, "Me"
    <> wrote:

    >Help! I'm in deep trouble - have got our lad a manual focus 500mm Tokina
    >mirror lens to go with his new Samsung gx1-L digital slr. BUT it's Christmas
    >day and we've now got a teenager wandering around claiming that it's not a
    >good idea for a present as it doesn't work!!! He seems to think that its a
    >problem with the metal connecting flange/plate on the mirror lens contacting
    >the metal contact buttons on the camera body that is causing the camera to
    >go apoplectic... any ideas please before he brains me with the mirror
    >lens???? He almost smiled just then as he has put a piece of plastic bag
    >between the camera lens and body/contacts and it now takes pix - well sort
    >of he says ... but they look alright to me.. maybe its time to bodge a
    >little????

    There's an option in the custom menu to allow the use of the
    aperture ring. Set it to "on" - yes I know there's no
    aperture ring on a mirror lens but the option to use one
    must be on.

    Get rid of the plastic bag, make sure you're in Av mode (or
    manual) and focus switch is set to MF. Then shoot pictures.

    --
    John Bean
    John Bean, Dec 25, 2006

  3. Me

    Me Guest

    Thanks John - it worked, he now smiles BUT I have to dig out my tripod OR
    make the sun shine...

    Many, many thanks....

    Me, Dec 25, 2006
  4. Me

    John Bean Guest

    On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 13:16:02 -0000, "Me"
    <> wrote:

    >Thanks John - it worked, he now smiles BUT I have to dig out my tripod OR
    >make the sun shine...

    Yes, it's not exactly f/8 long-lens weather here in
    Lancashire either :-(

    >Many, many thanks....

    You're welcome, nothing worse than this sort of
    disappointment on Christmas Day. Enjoy the rest of it :)

    --
    John Bean
    John Bean, Dec 25, 2006
  5. Me

    Me Guest

    Thanks once again john,
    He's found the tripod and is talking in words of more that one syllable...
    weather forecast doesn't look too good for East Yorkshire for the next few
    days for f8 work ;-((

    Me, Dec 25, 2006
  6. Me

    Rudy Benner Guest

    "Me" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks once again john,
    > He's found the tripod and is talking in words of more that one syllable...
    > weather forecast doesn't look too good for East Yorkshire for the next few
    > days for f8 work ;-((
    >

    > "John Bean" <> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 25 Dec 2006 13:16:02 -0000, "Me"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>Thanks John - it worked, he now smiles BUT I have to dig out my tripod OR
    >>>make the sun shine...

    >> Yes, it's not exactly f/8 long-lens weather here in
    >> Lancashire either :-(
    >>
    >>>Many, many thanks....

    >> You're welcome, nothing worse than this sort of
    >> disappointment on Christmas Day. Enjoy the rest of it :)
    >>

    >> --
    >> John Bean

    My reflex is 500mmf5.6 and it can be a challenge. Sometimes I wish it were
    f8 instead. A little more DOF would be very nice.

    Lens has a M42 thread, bought a M42/Nikon adapter, had to add a extension
    ring and recalibrate the focus (easy).

    If I had deep pockets, I would get a regular lens. Sigh.
    Rudy Benner, Dec 25, 2006
  7. Me wrote:
    > Help! I'm in deep trouble - have got our lad a manual focus 500mm
    > Tokina mirror lens to go with his new Samsung gx1-L digital slr. BUT
    > it's Christmas day and we've now got a teenager wandering around
    > claiming that it's not a good idea for a present as it doesn't
    > work!!! He seems to think that its a problem with the metal
    > connecting flange/plate on the mirror lens contacting the metal
    > contact buttons on the camera body that is causing the camera to go
    > apoplectic... any ideas please before he brains me with the mirror
    > lens???? He almost smiled just then as he has put a piece of plastic
    > bag between the camera lens and body/contacts and it now takes pix -
    > well sort of he says ... but they look alright to me.. maybe its
    > time to bodge a little????
    > If I have cross-posted to the wrong groups please feel free to advise
    > which ones to try....

    Well I can tell you that my old Spiratone 500 mm mirror lens works fine
    with my Canon 20D.

    --
    Joseph Meehan

    Dia 's Muire duit
    Joseph Meehan, Dec 25, 2006
  8. "Me" <> wrote:

    > He seems to think that its a problem with the metal connecting
    > flange/plate on the mirror lens contacting the metal contact buttons
    > on the camera body that is causing the camera to go apoplectic...
    > it now takes pix - well sort of he says, but they look alright to me..

    I use the same Tokina 500mm lens on several Pentax bodies. It works
    fine... perhaps your son doesn't understand that a purely manual lens
    does NOT use the camera lens mount contact buttons. The only problems
    possible are that the lens would not "click" into position when mounted
    because it is too tight or too loose, or that it would not focus properly
    to infinity when mounted. The buttons are mechanical -- not electrical
    -- switches, so your son's plastic bag is not acting as insulation, but
    perhaps as a shim to mount the lens more tightly.

    On my lens, true infinity focus occurs BEFORE the lens infinity mark is
    reached. If you set the lens at the infinity mark, you will focus beyond
    infinity... this is true with many lenses of this sort.

    The Tokina is a very decent lens which requires practice and familiarity
    to use well because of its extreme focal length. Use it on a tripod and
    tell your teenager not to be so impatient!

    --
    Anti-Spam address: my last name at his dot com
    Charles Gillen -- Reston, Virginia, USA
    Charles Gillen, Dec 25, 2006
  9. Me

    Paul Furman Guest

    Me wrote:

    > Help! I'm in deep trouble - have got our lad a manual focus 500mm Tokina
    > mirror lens to go with his new Samsung gx1-L digital slr. BUT it's Christmas
    > day and we've now got a teenager wandering around claiming that it's not a
    > good idea for a present as it doesn't work!!! He seems to think that its a
    > problem with the metal connecting flange/plate on the mirror lens contacting
    > the metal contact buttons on the camera body that is causing the camera to
    > go apoplectic... any ideas please before he brains me with the mirror
    > lens???? He almost smiled just then as he has put a piece of plastic bag
    > between the camera lens and body/contacts and it now takes pix - well sort
    > of he says ... but they look alright to me.. maybe its time to bodge a
    > little????

    Not sure what the camera is doing apoplectically :) if the plastic
    improves things it would seem to be incompatible, he might try just
    shooting in manual 'M' mode for the same results. Sounds like it might
    not be possible to meter with that lens anyways from what others are saying.
    Paul Furman, Dec 25, 2006
  10. Me

    Paul Furman Guest

    Paul Furman wrote:

    > Me wrote:
    >
    >> Help! I'm in deep trouble - have got our lad a manual focus 500mm
    >> Tokina mirror lens to go with his new Samsung gx1-L digital slr. BUT
    >> it's Christmas day and we've now got a teenager wandering around
    >> claiming that it's not a good idea for a present as it doesn't work!!!
    >> He seems to think that its a problem with the metal connecting
    >> flange/plate on the mirror lens contacting the metal contact buttons
    >> on the camera body that is causing the camera to go apoplectic... any
    >> ideas please before he brains me with the mirror lens???? He almost
    >> smiled just then as he has put a piece of plastic bag between the
    >> camera lens and body/contacts and it now takes pix - well sort of he
    >> says ... but they look alright to me.. maybe its time to bodge a
    >> little????

    > Not sure what the camera is doing apoplectically :) if the plastic
    > improves things it would seem to be incompatible, he might try just
    > shooting in manual 'M' mode for the same results. Sounds like it might
    > not be possible to meter with that lens anyways from what others are
    > saying.

    Oh, one other thought, try setting the aperture ring to max or min & see
    if that quiets down the camera. In that case the aperture would be set
    by the camera dial and must be set to max/min (I forget).
    Paul Furman, Dec 25, 2006
  11. Me

    Me Guest

    John's answer did the trick, couldn't find it in the thick manual. That's
    what NG are for. Thanks folks...

    There's an option in the custom menu to allow the use of the aperture ring.
    Set it to "on" - yes I know there's no aperture ring on a mirror lens but
    the option to use one must be on.

    Get and focus switch is set to MF. Then shoot pictures.

    Me, Dec 25, 2006
  12. Me

    darkroommike Guest

    Mirror lens does not have aperture.
    darkroommike

    darkroommike, Dec 27, 2006
  13. darkroommike <> observed
    >Mirror lens does not have aperture.

    Don't be daft!

    The aperture is what the light is collected through!

    You may be suggesting that it has no ability to vary it, but that is not
    what you said.

    For a mirror lens the effective f-no may be calculated as:

    2*(Area/Pi)^0.5 / (focal length)

    Mike
    Michael J Davis
    <><
    Some newsgroup contributors appear to have confused
    the meaning of "discussion" with "digression".
    <><
    Michael J Davis, Dec 27, 2006
  14. Me

    Neil Ellwood Guest

    On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 13:45:36 +0000, Michael J Davis wrote:

    > darkroommike <> observed
    >>Mirror lens does not have aperture.

    > Don't be daft!
    >
    > The aperture is what the light is collected through!
    >
    > You may be suggesting that it has no ability to vary it, but that is not
    > what you said.
    >
    > For a mirror lens the effective f-no may be calculated as:
    >
    > 2*(Area/Pi)^0.5 / (focal length)

    Another way is to read it off the lens body.

    --
    Neil
    Reverse 'ra' and delete 'l'.
    Neil Ellwood, Dec 27, 2006
  15. Neil Ellwood <> observed
    >On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 13:45:36 +0000, Michael J Davis wrote:
    >
    >> darkroommike <> observed
    >>>Mirror lens does not have aperture.

    >> Don't be daft!
    >>
    >> The aperture is what the light is collected through!
    >>
    >> You may be suggesting that it has no ability to vary it, but that is not
    >> what you said.
    >>
    >> For a mirror lens the effective f-no may be calculated as:
    >>
    >> 2*(Area/Pi)^0.5 / (focal length)
    >>

    >Another way is to read it off the lens body.

    LOL! er - yes! ;-)

    Mike

    Michael J Davis
    <><