    need for the Windows firewall to get a connection?

    With thanks,

    Gerry
    Gerry, Aug 26, 2007

  2. Gerry

    Barb Bowman Guest

    wireless access point or wireless router? a true access point
    doesn't normally supply DHCP (what brand and model is this device if
    you don't know?

    if wireless access point, what is it plugged into?

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Aug 26, 2007

  3. Gerry

    Gerry Guest

    Barb Bowman wrote:
    > wireless access point or wireless router? a true access point
    > doesn't normally supply DHCP (what brand and model is this device if
    > you don't know?
    >
    > if wireless access point, what is it plugged into?
    >
    > On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 08:14:26 GMT, Gerry <> wrote:
    >
    >> I am trying to access the internet from my laptop computer via a
    >> wireless access point in the same room. The connection strength is
    >> apparently 'excellent' but I can't make the connection. I am using WXP.
    >>
    >> If I try to 'repair' the connection, I get messages saying that it is
    >> trying to get an IP address but this goes on for ever and no connection
    >> is made.
    >>
    >> I have a suspicion that this is something to do with the Windows
    >> firewall but I really don't know what to do about this. I don't have any
    >> other firewall system installed.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions would be very welcome. In particular, what settings do I
    >> need for the Windows firewall to get a connection?
    >>
    >> With thanks,
    >>
    >> Gerry

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS Windows-MVP

    OK, sorry - wrong terminology. It is a NETGEAR wireless ADSL modem
    router DG834G, v 3. It is plugged into the phone socket and has
    connections to other computers via an Ethernet.

    Gerry
    Gerry, Aug 26, 2007
  4. Gerry

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Barb Bowman, Aug 26, 2007
  5. Gerry

    Lem Guest

    Gerry wrote:
    > Barb Bowman wrote:
    >> wireless access point or wireless router? a true access point
    >> doesn't normally supply DHCP (what brand and model is this device if
    >> you don't know?
    >>
    >> if wireless access point, what is it plugged into?
    >>
    >> On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 08:14:26 GMT, Gerry <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> I am trying to access the internet from my laptop computer via a
    >>> wireless access point in the same room. The connection strength is
    >>> apparently 'excellent' but I can't make the connection. I am using WXP.
    >>>
    >>> If I try to 'repair' the connection, I get messages saying that it is
    >>> trying to get an IP address but this goes on for ever and no
    >>> connection is made.
    >>>
    >>> I have a suspicion that this is something to do with the Windows
    >>> firewall but I really don't know what to do about this. I don't have
    >>> any other firewall system installed.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions would be very welcome. In particular, what settings
    >>> do I need for the Windows firewall to get a connection?
    >>>
    >>> With thanks,
    >>>
    >>> Gerry

    >> --
    >>
    >> Barb Bowman
    >> MS Windows-MVP

    > OK, sorry - wrong terminology. It is a NETGEAR wireless ADSL modem
    > router DG834G, v 3. It is plugged into the phone socket and has
    > connections to other computers via an Ethernet.
    >
    > Gerry

    If power cycling the Netgear doesn't resolve your issue, your problem
    seems much more related to wireless encryption issues than to the
    Windows firewall. When configuring a wireless network (or the wireless
    portion of your LAN), it often makes sense to get it up and running with
    NO wireless security (no encryption). Once that's working, then
    configure the most secure level of encryption supported by all of the
    wireless devices on your network.

    If at all possible, use WPA2-PSK or WPA-PSK ("PSK" refers to Pre-Shared
    Key; this may be shown as "personal"; you do not want the varieties of
    encryption denoted "Enterprise" or RADIUS).

    If you have a wireless device that only supports WEP encryption, you
    should first make sure that you have the latest driver or firmware, as
    appropriate. If that doesn't make WPA available, you should seriously
    consider replacing that device.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Aug 26, 2007

    =?Utf-8?B?c2tlZXRh?=, Aug 26, 2007
  7. try calling your net provider and where you got your router from and have
    both companys help u set up your two boxes by doing a '' PING "
    test.................

    =?Utf-8?B?c2tlZXRh?=, Aug 26, 2007
  8. Hi
    One of your setting is probably misconfigured.
    Since there are numerous settings that can cause it, there is No point for
    trail and error.
    Read the content of this page, if it will Not solve the current problem it
    might help in the future.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 26, 2007
  9. Gerry

    Gerry Guest

    Gerry wrote:
    > I am trying to access the internet from my laptop computer via a
    > wireless access point in the same room. The connection strength is
    > apparently 'excellent' but I can't make the connection. I am using WXP.
    >
    > If I try to 'repair' the connection, I get messages saying that it is
    > trying to get an IP address but this goes on for ever and no connection
    > is made.
    >
    > I have a suspicion that this is something to do with the Windows
    > firewall but I really don't know what to do about this. I don't have any
    > other firewall system installed.
    >
    > Any suggestions would be very welcome. In particular, what settings do I
    > need for the Windows firewall to get a connection?
    >
    > With thanks,
    >
    > Gerry

    Many thanks for the advice from several people.

    Gerry
    Gerry, Aug 28, 2007