    I have checked out my hardware to the extent that I have tried each stick of memory on its own, removed all cards from the machine, so it is only m/b, ram, mouse. kb and video. and even tried another video card. same problem.

    I am running out of ideas. I fail to see how this can be a hardware problem, I had hoped that the reinstalled windows would fix it.

    I was prepared to format the disk and reinstall to that but there is a problem with that as XP is an upgrade version, I have to install over 98 or another qualifying version, which i was about to do except 98 will not load on to my NTFS disk, and fdisk will not work on it either. So while I say i have reinstalled windows it was according to the process a repair. Just not a very good one.

    roger marriott, Feb 24, 2005

  2. > I was prepared to format the disk and reinstall to that but there is a

    problem with that as XP is an upgrade version, I have to install over 98
    or another qualifying version, which i was about to do except 98 will not
    load on to my NTFS disk, and fdisk will not work on it either. So while
    I say i have reinstalled windows it was according to the process a
    repair. Just not a very good one.

    er fdisk will delete ntfs partitions of the type you describe
    its the 'delete non-dos partitions' option
    (option 3 iirc)
    just remember to back up drivers and wanted files etc etc

    Shane (aka froggy), Feb 24, 2005

  3. roger marriott

    Jerry Guest

    roger marriott wrote:

    > I was prepared to format the disk and reinstall to that but there is a
    > problem with that as XP is an upgrade version, I have to install over 98
    > or another qualifying version, which i was about to do except 98 will
    > not load on to my NTFS disk, and fdisk will not work on it either. So
    > while I say i have reinstalled windows it was according to the process a
    > repair. Just not a very good one.

    You can install a new version from an update disk. Start the install
    and it will ask you to insert a disk from a qualifying program, it looks
    at it and you can then do a full install

    Jerry

    Jerry, Feb 24, 2005
  4. roger marriott

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "roger marriott" <> wrote in

    > I am running out of ideas. I fail to see how this can be a hardware
    > problem, I had hoped that the reinstalled windows would fix it.

    What is the tempurature of the CPU, some will slow down to save themselves
    from burning up?
    Does a Knoppix CD boot up and run fine, sounds and all that stuff?

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Feb 24, 2005
  5. roger marriott

    E. Guest

    roger marriott wrote:

    > Hello
    >
    > I have a major problem. First I cannot switch user or log off XP pro.
    > (have to power off). Machine seems to work fine while logged on as
    > any user. (there are two)

    Have you checked services such as secondary logon and fast user switching?
    E.

    E., Feb 24, 2005