Problem: Local Area Connection

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by hsyq8xg@gmail.com, Dec 10, 2008.

  1. Guest

    My connection to the Net is through ADSL connection. Physical
    connection is telephone line connected to ADSL modem (RJ11), and
    connection between the modem and the PC is via a RJ45 equipped network
    cable.

    Everything seems to be working (and I am online) but that "Local Area
    Connection" thingy at program tray keeps on like "pacing" ... that
    "yellow dot" keeps on going left, going right, going left, going left,
    and so on, and so on ...

    When I clicked on the "status" thing of the Local Area Connection
    icon, a new "window" appears.

    When I clicked on the "Support" tab, I got the following:

    Connection status

    Address Type: Invalid IP Address
    IP Address: 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
    Default Gateway

    Details

    Physical Address: 00-E0-4D-32-CE-8F
    IP Address: 0.0.0.0
    Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
    DNS Server:
    WINS Server:

    Things were okay yesterday, only today that "yellow dot" keeps on
    pacing left, right, left, right, and the "IP Address" turns into
    0.0.0.0

    What has happened?

    How to remedy this problem?

    Please help !!

    Thank you all !!

    , Dec 10, 2008

  2. Desk Rabbit Guest

    wrote:
    > My connection to the Net is through ADSL connection. Physical
    > connection is telephone line connected to ADSL modem (RJ11), and
    > connection between the modem and the PC is via a RJ45 equipped network
    > cable.
    >
    > Everything seems to be working (and I am online) but that "Local Area
    > Connection" thingy at program tray keeps on like "pacing" ... that
    > "yellow dot" keeps on going left, going right, going left, going left,
    > and so on, and so on ...
    >
    > When I clicked on the "status" thing of the Local Area Connection
    > icon, a new "window" appears.
    >
    > When I clicked on the "Support" tab, I got the following:
    >
    > Connection status
    >
    > Address Type: Invalid IP Address
    > IP Address: 0.0.0.0
    > Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
    > Default Gateway
    >
    > Details
    >
    > Physical Address: 00-E0-4D-32-CE-8F
    > IP Address: 0.0.0.0
    > Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
    > Default Gateway:
    > DNS Server:
    > WINS Server:
    >

    > Things were okay yesterday, only today that "yellow dot" keeps on
    > pacing left, right, left, right, and the "IP Address" turns into
    > 0.0.0.0
    >
    > What has happened?

    Your Internet connection has broken

    > How to remedy this problem?

    Call your ISP support line

    Desk Rabbit, Dec 10, 2008

  3. Juan Kerr Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > My connection to the Net is through ADSL connection. Physical
    > connection is telephone line connected to ADSL modem (RJ11), and
    > connection between the modem and the PC is via a RJ45 equipped network
    > cable.
    >
    > Everything seems to be working (and I am online) but that "Local Area
    > Connection" thingy at program tray keeps on like "pacing" ... that
    > "yellow dot" keeps on going left, going right, going left, going left,
    > and so on, and so on ...
    >
    > When I clicked on the "status" thing of the Local Area Connection
    > icon, a new "window" appears.
    >
    > When I clicked on the "Support" tab, I got the following:
    >
    > Connection status
    >
    > Address Type: Invalid IP Address
    > IP Address: 0.0.0.0
    > Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
    > Default Gateway
    >
    > Details
    >
    > Physical Address: 00-E0-4D-32-CE-8F
    > IP Address: 0.0.0.0
    > Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
    > Default Gateway:
    > DNS Server:
    > WINS Server:
    >

    > Things were okay yesterday, only today that "yellow dot" keeps on
    > pacing left, right, left, right, and the "IP Address" turns into
    > 0.0.0.0
    >
    > What has happened?
    >
    > How to remedy this problem?
    >
    > Please help !!
    >
    > Thank you all !!

    This error message normally means that you did not receive an IP Address
    from your
    DHCP server after establishing a wireless connection. This is usually
    caused by a communication failure between the wireless card and the access
    point. Often that means the security settings do not match between the
    client and the access point.

    Did you recently change any element of your network? Did you load a new
    driver or firmware? Perhaps installed a new wireless card? Maybe you
    changed the security settings on your wireless access point?
    Are you sure your ISP server is working correctly?

    Juan Kerr, Dec 10, 2008
  4. I've seen it w/ many modems. Many ADSL modems don't have DHCP feature or
    have it disabled. When you connect a network cable to your modem and the
    computer, your PC will ask the modem for an internal IP address. As the
    modem doesn't have the DHCP feature, your PC won't get an IP and will keep
    looking until a timeout.

    As far as I go, it shouldn't really concern you.

    --

    - - - - - - - - - -
    Jonathan M. Boyko

    "All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing."
    -Edmund Burke

    Jonathan Boyko, Dec 10, 2008
  5. Juan Kerr Guest

    "Desk Rabbit" <> wrote in message
    > Juan Kerr wrote:
    >>

    >> <> wrote in message
    >>> My connection to the Net is through ADSL connection. Physical
    >>> connection is telephone line connected to ADSL modem (RJ11), and
    >>> connection between the modem and the PC is via a RJ45 equipped network
    >>> cable.
    >>>
    >>> Everything seems to be working (and I am online) but that "Local Area
    >>> Connection" thingy at program tray keeps on like "pacing" ... that
    >>> "yellow dot" keeps on going left, going right, going left, going left,
    >>> and so on, and so on ...
    >>>
    >>> When I clicked on the "status" thing of the Local Area Connection
    >>> icon, a new "window" appears.
    >>>
    >>> When I clicked on the "Support" tab, I got the following:
    >>>
    >>> Connection status
    >>>
    >>> Address Type: Invalid IP Address
    >>> IP Address: 0.0.0.0
    >>> Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
    >>> Default Gateway
    >>>
    >>> Details
    >>>
    >>> Physical Address: 00-E0-4D-32-CE-8F
    >>> IP Address: 0.0.0.0
    >>> Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
    >>> Default Gateway:
    >>> DNS Server:
    >>> WINS Server:
    >>>

    >>> Things were okay yesterday, only today that "yellow dot" keeps on
    >>> pacing left, right, left, right, and the "IP Address" turns into
    >>> 0.0.0.0
    >>>
    >>> What has happened?
    >>>
    >>> How to remedy this problem?
    >>>
    >>> Please help !!
    >>>
    >>> Thank you all !!

    >> This error message normally means that you did not receive an IP Address
    >> from your
    >> DHCP server after establishing a wireless connection. This is usually
    >> caused by a communication failure between the wireless card and the
    >> access
    >> point. Often that means the security settings do not match between the
    >> client and the access point.

    > Where does the OP say that he has a wireless access point?
    > He mentions an ADSL modem and an RJ45 network cable connecting it to his
    > computer and a Local Area Connection icon.
    >
    > You might as well tell him to check the rubber feet on the bottom of his
    > PC case!

    My bad.

    /must learn to read

    Juan Kerr, Dec 10, 2008
  6. netjerykhet Guest

    Desk Rabbit <> wrote:
    >> Juan Kerr wrote:
    >> This error message normally means that you did not receive an IP
    >> Address from your
    >> DHCP server after establishing a wireless connection. This is usually
    >> caused by a communication failure between the wireless card and the
    >> access point. Often that means the security settings do not match
    >> between the client and the access point.

    > Where does the OP say that he has a wireless access point?
    > He mentions an ADSL modem and an RJ45 network cable connecting it to
    > his computer and a Local Area Connection icon.

    He doesn't.

    > You might as well tell him to check the /rubber/ /feet/ on the bottom of
    > his PC case!

    He didn't think of that, but then I nicked them ages ago.

    netjerykhet, Dec 10, 2008
  7. pg Guest

    On Dec 10, 1:59 am, wrote:
    > My connection to the Net is through ADSL connection. Physical
    > connection is telephone line connected to ADSL modem (RJ11), and
    > connection between the modem and the PC is via a RJ45 equipped network
    > cable.
    >
    > Everything seems to be working (and I am online) but that "Local Area
    > Connection" thingy at program tray keeps on like "pacing" ... that
    > "yellow dot" keeps on going left, going right, going left, going left,
    > and so on, and so on ...
    >
    > When I clicked on the "status" thing of the Local Area Connection
    > icon, a new "window" appears.
    >
    > When I clicked on the "Support" tab, I got the following:
    >
    > Connection status
    >
    > Address Type:           Invalid IP Address
    > IP Address:                     0.0.0.0
    > Subnet Mask:            0.0.0.0
    > Default Gateway
    >
    > Details
    >
    > Physical Address: 00-E0-4D-32-CE-8F
    > IP Address: 0.0.0.0
    > Subnet Mask: 0.0.0.0
    > Default Gateway:
    > DNS Server:
    > WINS Server:
    >
    > Things were okay yesterday, only today that "yellow dot" keeps on
    > pacing left, right, left, right, and the "IP Address" turns into
    > 0.0.0.0
    >
    > What has happened?
    >
    > How to remedy this problem?
    >
    > Please help !!
    >
    > Thank you all !!

    Your DHCP service is off.

    Do the following:

    Verify That the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) Client
    Service Is Started
    Verify that the DHCP Client service is started. To do so, follow these
    steps:

    1. Right-click My Computer, click Manage, expand Services and
    Applications under Computer Management, and then click Services.
    2. Verify that the DHCP Client service is running.
    3. If the service is stopped, right-click DHCP Client, and then click
    Start.

    Note If the service does not start, a dependency group or service may
    also be stopped.

    Or, you can do it the registry way

    1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
    2. Locate the following registry key.
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Services\DHCP
    3. In the right pane, double click DependOnService, and then make sure
    that the Data Value value is Tcpip Afd NetBT.
    4. Restart your computer, and then verify that the DHCP service is
    started as described in Method 3.

    pg, Dec 10, 2008
  8. lindis Guest

    I would suggest that you connect the modem directly to your PC using the USB
    port on the modem. Do not use the RJ45.
    Your turn.

    lindis, Dec 10, 2008
  9. If he connects the modem through USB it would require him to install drivers
    as well, which is quite useless. Overall, he doesn't have a problem, he just
    doesn't understand why his PC can't get an IP, and that's caused by lack of
    DHCP. Overall, it's best to use the regular network connection, as it is the
    most stable one.

    --

    - - - - - - - - - -

    Jonathan Boyko, Dec 10, 2008
  10. Hi
    Most of the DSL ISPs give these days a free Modem/Router.
    They use to give Modem only, they switched to Modem/Router because it worth
    their while to give you a device that cost them few $$ more rather than
    dealing with troubles and support call that are caused by a computer sitting
    directly on a DSL Modem.
    Get yourself a Router. Your authentication would be in the Router and you
    would have a stable secure DSL.
    http://www.ezlan.net/PPPOE.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Dec 10, 2008
  11. chuckcar Guest

    wrote in

    > My connection to the Net is through ADSL connection. Physical
    > connection is telephone line connected to ADSL modem (RJ11), and
    > connection between the modem and the PC is via a RJ45 equipped network
    > cable.
    >
    > Everything seems to be working (and I am online) but that "Local Area
    > Connection" thingy at program tray keeps on like "pacing" ... that
    > "yellow dot" keeps on going left, going right, going left, going left,
    > and so on, and so on ...

    There is always the distinct possibility that your ISP is simply overloaded
    and has too many customers for the hardware they provide. In other words, you
    can't connect because too many other people are already.

    There's a couple things you can easily try yourself before or while you're
    waiting/thinking of calling tech support.

    1. Try turning off your modem for 30 seconds and then turn it on again.
    This acts like a reset and quite often fixes a software problem/memory
    corruption that confuses the box.

    2. Try unplugging all your phones for about 30 minutes and then plugging
    them back in again. This clears static that might exist on your phone
    line. Why this works is beyond me, but I've heard it from phone company
    techs several times.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    chuckcar, Dec 10, 2008