    Andy Petro Guest

    I can send and receive e mail but cannot get Internet Explorer. Windows XP .

    I have a second computer and it gets IE.

    Andy Petro, Mar 12, 2014

  2. Andy Petro

    Paul Guest

    Andy Petro wrote:
    > I can send and receive e mail but cannot get Internet Explorer. Windows XP .
    >
    > I have a second computer and it gets IE.

    So the email tool starts. It has addresses like smtphm.sympatico.ca
    and pophm.sympatico.ca.

    The email tool then consults DNS, and converts those to 65.55.172.251
    and 65.55.172.252. And you can do the same from a Accessories : Command Prompt
    window.

    nslookup smtphm.sympatico.ca

    If all of that is working, next we ask some questions about Internet Explorer.

    When you start the Internet Explorer program running, does the window appear ?

    If you type an address like "http://www.sun.com", does a web page appear ?

    If you type an address like "http://156.151.59.35", does a web page appear ?

    Internet Explorer can be put off by:

    1) Add-ons. Start Internet Explorer program in Safe Mode and test.

    http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/run-internet-explorer-9-without-addons-in-safe-mode/

    iexplore -extoff

    2) DNS problem. The nslookup testing, helps check DNS.
    Your DNS is probably working, if you had entered symbolic values
    like smtphm.sympatico.ca in your email tool. And the nslookup tests
    help tell us that DNS is working, as long as a numeric translation
    appears in the results from nslookup. That's how I looked up the
    IP numeric values I used above.

    3) Proxy setting problem. Internet Explorer can be configured, to
    pull web pages from a proxy server, rather than going directly
    to the web site. Malware can sometimes program Internet Explorer
    to go to a proxy, in an attempt to show you advertising and make
    money from add impressions. You need to check the settings and
    make sure proxy is not selected. What could have happened is, the
    malware made you use a proxy, and then the proxy site got disabled
    by the authorities. I think Internet Explorer should show an
    error message, if there is a problem like that.

    There's a good chance, there will be an error message somewhere,
    and when you give us all the details of the error messages,
    we'll know a bit more about the problem.

    *******

    And if you don't like my suggestions, here is a page I just
    found on the Microsoft site. Read this on your working computer.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926449/en-gb

    Method 1: Restart your computer (theory = low memory)
    Method 2: Start Internet Explorer in No Add-ons mode
    Method 3: Reset Internet Explorer Settings
    [and hope that covers the Proxy setting]
    Method 4: Scan your computer for malware
    Method 5: Install the latest updates
    [not always easy to do on WinXP lately]

    I suppose it could have got stuck doing Windows Update or
    something, and it's half way through updating Internet Explorer.
    You could check Windows Update, if you can start it, and see
    if everything is OK or not (whether the March updates will install).

    HTH,
    Paul

    Paul, Mar 12, 2014