Problem installing windows XP

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Just Me, Jul 20, 2004.

  1. Just Me

    Just Me Guest

    Please help.

    1. Inserted the Windows 98 Boot Disk and turned on the computer.
    2. At the command prompt, ran fdisk and deleted all of the partitions.
    3. Restarted the computer and the message ?Operating System not found?
    was displayed twice.
    4. Inserted the Windows XP Professional CD and pressed Ctrl+Alt+Delete
    to restart the computer.
    5. When the computer restarted, Windows Setup automatically began. (I
    noticed that the status bar on the bottom of the screen had gray and blue
    stripes rather that being al gray.)
    6. At the Welcome to Setup screen, I pressed Enter to ?set up Windows XP
    now?.
    7. At the Windows XP Licensing Agreement, I pressed F8 to agree.
    8. At the partitions screen, I pressed Enter to install Windows XP in
    the unpartitioned space (it was the only ?partition?).
    9. I chose to have setup ?Format the partition using the NTFS file
    system?. (It was selected by default.)
    In each screen, the status bar and selection bars were multi-colored
    (sections of blue and gray stripes rather than being all gray and sections
    of yell and green rather than being all yellow.)
    10. The formatting completed and the status bar said ?Creating a list of
    files to be copied?.
    11. The copying of files started, and once again, the progress bar was
    yellow and green and the status bar was blue and gray.
    During the file copy, lines flashed on the screen.
    12. A message came up at about 20%.

    The file rpcrt4.dll was not copied correctly.

    The file Setup placed on your hard drive is not a valid Windows XP
    system image. If you are installing from a CD, there may be a problem
    with the Windows XP CD.

    ? To retry, press ENTER.

    If you continue to receive this message, contact your
    Windows XP supplier or system administrator.

    ? To skip this file, press ESC.

    CAUTION: If you skip this file, Setup may not complete
    and Windows XP may not work properly.

    ? To quit Setup, press F3.

    13. I pressed Enter to retry and the same message appeared for the file
    shell32.dll. I pressed Enter to retry.
    14. The copying of files started, and once again, the progress bar was
    yellow and green and the status bar was blue and gray.
    During the file copy, lines flashed on the screen.
    15. Another message appeared.

    Setup cannot copy the file: ssflwbox.scr
    ? To retry, press ENTER.
    If you are installing from a CD, make sure the
    Windows XP CD is in the CD-ROM drive.

    ? To skip the file, press ESC.

    CAUTION: If you skip this file, Setup may not complete and Windows XP may
    not work properly.

    ? To quit Setup, press F3.

    16. I pressed Enter to retry and the message appeared again. I tried a
    few more times, but the file would not copy.
    17. I pressed ESC to skip the file.
    18. The copying of files started, and once again, the progress bar was
    yellow and green and the status bar was blue and gray.
    During the file copy, lines flashed on the screen.
    19. The file copy finished and setup restarted the computer.
    20. The graphical portion of setup started. (A bunch of vertical lines
    filled the screen.)

    Just Me, Jul 20, 2004

  2. Just Me

    Duane Arnold Guest

    What do you want, go to the store and get some CD cleaner and try it again.
    ;-) If that don't work, then the CD is bad or the drive is going bad.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 20, 2004

  3. Just Me

    derek / nul Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jul 2004 03:19:33 GMT, "Just Me" <> wrote:

    >Please help.
    >
    >1. Inserted the Windows 98 Boot Disk and turned on the computer.

    That is your first mistake.

    Boot from the XP cd.

    derek / nul, Jul 20, 2004
  4. Just Me

    Yep Guest

    "Just Me" <> wrote in message news:<8b0Lc.122198$%_6.95187@attbi_s01>...
> [...]
    > 15. Another message appeared.
    >
    > Setup cannot copy the file: ssflwbox.scr
    > ? To retry, press ENTER.
    > If you are installing from a CD, make sure the
    > Windows XP CD is in the CD-ROM drive.
    >
    > ? To skip the file, press ESC.
    >
    > CAUTION: If you skip this file, Setup may not complete and Windows XP may
    > not work properly.
    >
    > ? To quit Setup, press F3.
    >
    > 16. I pressed Enter to retry and the message appeared again. I tried a
    > few more times, but the file would not copy.
    > 17. I pressed ESC to skip the file.
    > 18. The copying of files started, and once again, the progress bar was
    > yellow and green and the status bar was blue and gray.
    > During the file copy, lines flashed on the screen.
    > 19. The file copy finished and setup restarted the computer.
    > 20. The graphical portion of setup started. (A bunch of vertical lines

    Not sure about the video problem, but bad file copy errors in XP
    install are usually caused by bad ram. Replace with known good and try
    again. This may also fix the video display problems.

    Yep, Jul 20, 2004